PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with chaffing.

tolkien
05-09-2011, 11:48
This is what I've gathered from several posts, online articles, and personal experience. I identify chaffing as red, raised areas on the skin caused by friction, moisture, and bacteria. I don't get chaffing to the point of bleeding, but I don't push it: if I start to develop chaffing, I stop and fix it.
1) Wash area with water and soap, if possible, to remove dirt, dead skin, dried sweat, etc.
2) Wash area with Isopropyl Alcohol, H2O2, or Iodine to remove bacteria on skin.
3) Dry area thoroughly with rag, and then apply Goldbond Medicated powder if turning in for the night.
4) If continuing on the hike, apply Vaseline or BodyGlide locally. Reaply as needed.
5) Remove lube with rag, clean area when turning in for the night.

Any personal input on the subject? Also, I've been thinking about perhaps applying Compund Tincture of Benzoin, but it would have to be done carefully and the area would have to be shaved because hair and glue do not mix well.

camper1121
05-09-2011, 13:06
I don't remember where I got this tip but it has worked for me, hemorrhoid pads for cleaning the chaffed are at night before bed and some hydrocortizone creme to soothe the rash.

Gaiter
05-09-2011, 13:33
prevention is key: if you know you are prone to chaffing then use bodyglide or something like it on your known trouble spots to begin with that way you never get chaffed in the first place, you'll save time by doing a little prevention than taking time to fix the problem later...

trijuggle
05-09-2011, 13:51
Hey Tolkien, I'd like to contribute by saying...

Hiker - Krud Meister, has excellent thoughts on this topic...
http://krudmeister.blogspot.com/2010/10/chafe.html

Personally, these shorts have helped me. When I'm wearing these, these are all that I'm wearing on the bottom. I'm personally comfortable with the look in public (woods).
Men's Fitness Shorts
http://www.raceready.com/men/2701.html

or

I wear these as underwear with a regular pair of shorts over them.
ExOfficio - Men's Give-N-Go Boxer Brief
http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-give-n-go-boxer-brief

And this is a must...

BodyGlide - The Original Anti-Chafe balm
http://www.bodyglide.com/#/products/anti-chafe

The product BagBalm as well as Vaseline have helped too.

Ray Jardine has good thoughts on this topic in his book Trail Life...
http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Trail-Life/index.htm

Blissful
05-09-2011, 14:11
Sportkilt.....

Lemni Skate
05-09-2011, 14:25
I have trouble sometimes. Clean the chaffed area well. Sleep naked with a fan blowing on the chaffed area if possible. It will be well in the morning or, at worst, in two days.

For me, moisture is the culprit. Loose fitting clothes or clothes that let air in seems to prevent chaffing for me.

klpicktown
05-09-2011, 14:39
bodyglide bodyglide bodyglide! prevent it and clean everynight to air out, reapply in the morning before hiking

CrumbSnatcher
05-09-2011, 14:43
bodyglide bodyglide bodyglide! prevent it and clean everynight to air out, reapply in the morning before hiking
i second the vote for body glide-----------------THE BEST!

Hangman
05-09-2011, 15:44
If you do get a rash, use desitine same stuff they use for diaper rash. It will heal over night and you can put on during the day as well great stuff. You can put some in a small tin to carry with you.

d.o.c
05-09-2011, 15:48
rubbing alcohol... burns for a bit but then you golden.

Cookerhiker
05-09-2011, 16:12
Can you get body glide at a regular drug store e.g. CVS or only at outfitters stores?

CrumbSnatcher
05-09-2011, 16:33
Can you get body glide at a regular drug store e.g. CVS or only at outfitters stores?
i never found it anywhere except outfitters and e-bay
i have tried walmart, walgreens with no luck

Cookerhiker
05-09-2011, 16:35

i never found it anywhere except outfitters and e-bay
i have tried walmart, walgreens with no luck

Thanks.....

Gaiter
05-09-2011, 16:36

well i think its bandaid that makes some kinda blisterblock stuff, its like a mini bodyglide, small tube but it does the job

also you can look for running stores, if its a half-serious running store they'll have it

Gaiter
05-09-2011, 16:38
correction its called friction block: (i've found it at cvs and walgreens)
http://www.bandaid.com/our-products/advanced-protection

tolkien
05-09-2011, 18:02
Alright. Thanks for the input everybody. The Benzoin idea might work well for a short hike but on a thru hike that isn't a place I'd like to have glue.

I think I'm going to edit all the stuff I find together into an article, along with links to recomended gear.

Leanthree
05-09-2011, 18:59
Not to steal the thread but does anyone have experience with localized Acne breakouts where shoulder straps rub? I dont care about appearance but it gets painful after a few days in the woods. Salasylic pads mitigate it a bit. I have ordered Merino t-shirts to replace my polypro and will see if that helps. any other suggestions are appreciated.

(for a bit of quick background, I had mild ordinary teenage acne that phased itself out by the time I was about 22-23. I am now 25 and only get the occasional pimple every month or so)

Big Dawg
05-09-2011, 19:22
BODYGLIDE...... before and during any activity, on ANY part of the body that might get chaffed. I use the travel (http://www.rei.com/product/745878/bodyglide-anti-chafe-formula-045-oz) size when on hikes. I don't always get a chance to clean or air out the areas where I use bodyglide, and it don't really matter,,, as long as I apply before activity starts, and once every 12 to 24 hours thereafter.

windy city
05-09-2011, 19:27
A&D ointment is great for both treating and preventing chaffing. Some Ultra runners use it as you would body glide before long races.

Penguin
05-09-2011, 19:34
Johnson and Johnson Baby Powder and ventilation. Wrap your bandana around your sack at night and between your butt cheeks helps too. Be careful applying lubes to chafe it could clog the pores and get seriously infected and leave you with a pussing crotch rash. That could lead to staph. Chafe would be totally gone if there was extreme ventilation, though shirtcocking is sometimes frowned upon. I wondered about the kilt thing, since this is a great way to increase ventilation, but never could find any beyond boring beige (a color no one should be seen in). If your unit rubs against your pants while your hiking and gets dry and starts getting rug rash, Original Chapstick works great. I haven't tried cherry chopstick abajo yet, but I think the redness of the product would leave a scary stain on my Umbros.

klpicktown
05-10-2011, 15:24
on my section last year i started to chaff under my waistbelt..... a little body glide and bingo, all gone. I found mine at Sports Authority

Ironbelly
05-10-2011, 16:57
I find using boxer briefs, good ones like exofficio etc, usually always prevent chaffing for me. If I feel it starting I stop immediately and clean the area with a little water and Dr. B's, then put on some bodyglide. I think bodyglide works the best but just regular ole vaseline will work too. You don't need much just a very light coating.

I think the key is boxerbriefs or something else similar. I used to get it all the time then switched to using boxerbriefs and i havn't had it since.

leaftye
05-10-2011, 18:33
Powders are useless when you sweat like I do unless I had a powder injection system and no one minded the trail of moistened powder that I'd leave behind.

Boxer briefs are great for eliminating some types of chafing, but some boxer briefs ride up and are thus rendered useless. The best solution I've found so far is 9" inseam Underarmor boxer briefs. They never ride up and they wear like iron. The only bad thing is that they aren't as airy as I'd like, although it's not nearly bad enough to stop me from using them.

CrumbSnatcher
05-10-2011, 20:17
bodyglide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said
you can close the thread :)

tolkien
05-10-2011, 20:47
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72589
comments, anybody?

SmokeEater
05-11-2011, 13:27
Just buy cheap travel deodorant. Works just as well as body glide for me and u can buy it anywhere.

Praha4
05-11-2011, 14:27
try to keep the area dry to avoid chafing, but in the summer heat/humidity that is almost impossible. last year I had a terrible problem in June with chafing, causing a bad rash in the worst area. Only thing that saved me was borrowing some hydrocortisone gel from another hiker. Took 2-3 days to get it back under control.

my suggestion for trying to keep dry, use Gold Bond powder in the area, and use it liberally, maybe apply it several times a day. And Body Glide is great for avoiding chafing, but I never found it to be 100% successful alone. They carry Body Glide at Sports Authority, Nike outlet stores and most hiking retailers like REI.

if bad enough, it can cause rash, bleeding, blisters, so not any fun

good luck

Smooth & Wasabi
05-11-2011, 14:38
Amen to long inseam non cotton boxer briefs! I have never had an issue since I started using them. I like the underarmours someone mentioned but have several 10$ starter brand pairs from walmart that work great.

Del Q
05-11-2011, 19:50
Kilt

Body Glide if you like

Jonnycat
05-12-2011, 09:32
1. Cleanliness is next to godliness
2. Lightweight, breathable, wicking synthetic underwear
3. Bodyglide
4. Cornstarch

Also don't forget to put your clothes through the rinse cycle TWICE if doing a machine wash.

darkage
05-12-2011, 15:03
another keep clean/body glide and breathable wicking synthetic boxer's vote ....

Country Roads
05-15-2011, 15:59
I make sure to wash the days worth of sweat off each night and use Sportslick in areas that I know I am prone to chaffing.

stranger
05-18-2011, 07:40
Depends 'where' you are chafing...I don't generally have a problem but here and there it's happened...

I just clean the affected area...with anti-bacterial wipes or preferably soap and water (I carry a small pliable dog bowl for a sink) and put some anti-chaf cream on overnight.

By the next day I'm sweet as.

Good fitting boxer briefs work wonders but won't do anything for your a$$ cheeks rubbing themselves raw, so alot depends on where, it's different for everyone.

leaftye
05-18-2011, 10:03
Good fitting boxer briefs work wonders but won't do anything for your a$$ cheeks rubbing themselves raw, so alot depends on where, it's different for everyone.

Lubricant works for that, but not for the taint. The best solution is to lose weight.

hikerhobs
05-21-2011, 07:31
a&d ointment is great for both treating and preventing chaffing. Some ultra runners use it as you would body glide before long races.
great stuff ......

QiWiz
05-21-2011, 11:41
Prevention is better than treatment. Washing area with soap and water daily and wearing underarmour boxers have helped me do this. If chafing still happens, I do something very similar to what you suggest. I think tincture of benzoin would make things worse (more rather than less friction).

ed short
05-21-2011, 13:30
2 1/2 % cortisone oint. great fot chafing and all skin thingys, ivy,bites etc. not OTC, find a local friendly veterinarian to get it for youl the OTC stuff is only 1 %. gnome, (DVM)

CrumbSnatcher
05-21-2011, 13:40
our doctor told us 2 1/2% cortisone cream is not for long term use, it will thin the skin

Jim Adams
05-21-2011, 14:15
Sportkilt.....
Ditto:cool:

geek

JaxHiker
05-21-2011, 22:04
Amen to long inseam non cotton boxer briefs! I have never had an issue since I started using them. I like the underarmours someone mentioned but have several 10$ starter brand pairs from walmart that work great.

This is what I did to address it as well.

Dogwood
05-22-2011, 22:24
HYDROPEL, works great on feet, to prevent blisters when feet get very wet or hot and sweaty, but could be used elscewhere to prevent chaffing. SPORTSLICK is less expensive not quite as protective on feet, IMO, but much less expensive than HYDROPEL. SPORTSLICK has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. BodyGlide also works OK as a lubricant too but to my knowledge without the added benefits of SPORTSLICK and not as effective under a wider range of conditions as Hyrdropel .
BPL had commentary on some of these products. I have found similiar results.
www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/sportslick_pocket.html
Would not want to put any of these products on my lips or open skin though.

jbsbestfan
05-23-2011, 22:59
I used to have some problems when I played tennis 5 nights a week (marriage cured that) but before marriage I asked a pharmacist and she said it is called crotch rot and the best thing was to mix chlomitrazole cream with hydrocortizone cream half/half and apply. Obviously the hydrocortizone cream was for pain and itching. Anyway, since I satrted hiking and backpacking I almost always just put the chlomitrazole cream on before the hike and I never have problems. I do not need the cortizone since I have prevented the problem to begin with. I put some on before I begin a week trip and then 3 nights later or so from a small tube. Works wonders.

Egads
05-24-2011, 06:38
Gold Bond Lotion