PDA

View Full Version : Stecoah Gap to West Prong Trail/Tremont

John Kissane
05-09-2011, 11:56
My son and I will be hiking from Stecoah Gap to Spence Field and then off the AT via Bote Mtn. Trail and West Prong Trail to finish near the Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont. We're wondering about campsites just before Fontana -- is there anything nice within a mile or two of Fontana Hilton?

bigben
05-17-2011, 17:29
I'm sure you can throw a tent down somewhere, but nothing pops up in the memory banks. It's pretty downhill going into Fontana, hence not much flat for camping. Once you hit the road, it's still over a mile through the woods to the FH Shelter.

brian039
05-17-2011, 17:48
There's some stealth camping spots on the ridge overlooking the lake, but nothing really established and you're still 4-5 miles from the dam.

cowpoke
05-17-2011, 21:06
There is a campsite a couple miles or so past Cable Gap shelter but it is almost always wet...not the best unless you hammock. Once you pass the marina at Fontana you will find one good "stealth" campsite..on top of the hill before you start down to the Hilton. I've seen tents at the other end of the parking lot just before you get to the Dam...outside the brick wall....but that doesn't mean it's OK. Have a great hike. cheers.