PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta shops

strollingalong
05-09-2011, 13:07
Hey guys...
I'm going to be flying into Atlanta to start my thru next March. There are no camping/hiking stores where or anywhere near where I live that have anything but walmart quality camping gear.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to international order my gear that I absolutley must try out and be happy with before hiking ie trailshoes hammock etc.

Though in order to save money on potenitally poor choices over the net, I'll want to go shopping in Atlanta for my non absolutely essential try out 1st items. Where are the best hiking shops in Atlanta?

Am I crazy?! There's really no other way around this except for an expensive flight to just go shopping and a quick hike in the states.

Jersey Tim
05-09-2011, 13:20
If you're flying into ATL, you can hop a MARTA train to the Sandy Springs station, which puts you within a stone's throw of an REI. This is a good option because the next stop up the line -- North Springs -- is a Hiker Hostel pickup spot.

Gaiter
05-09-2011, 13:27
there is half-moon outfitters in the virginia highlands neighborhood, i know a couple of their staff hiked last year, so you should be able to get good advice, they have a limited selection though...
and REI (off of I-85N) (watch out at rei, know what gear you need/want before going in or you might come out w/ 50lbs of gear more suited for a weekend trip)

but your best bet might be to pop up to mountain crossings and then shuttle down to the start... (talk to cool breeze for shuttle info) mountain crossings has a really good selection and very experienced staff

Blissful
05-09-2011, 14:09
Gaiter's suggestion about Mountain Crossings. Winton and staff will help you out.

strollingalong
05-09-2011, 14:36
great idea. thanks.

SaveWestern
05-09-2011, 14:45
Mountain Crossings is great and they have tons of gear. But they will definitely try to get you to overbuy. Know what you need when you are there. Preferably I would buy the big stuff at REI because of their return policy and most of the small stuff either buy basic and cheaply or, when possible, improv/handmade.

strollingalong
05-09-2011, 15:01
Thanks guys. I'm really nervous about making the right decisions on gear. I wouldn't like to buy most stuff just before starting. Shoes I will obviously get long before. Then again, buying everything just before will be exciting and fun and will also remove all worries of some crappi airline losing all my stuff before I even reach the states!

JERMM
05-09-2011, 15:51
i suggest Mountain Crossings for gear, you'll get a chance to hike 30 miles of the AT to see how it works or not for you. Mountain Crossings is located at Neels Gap, you will hike through there, if you're having a problem they can help you then.

firefly
05-09-2011, 16:19
At REI you are going have a good selection of storebought gear for a decent price. Your sales person should have some outdoors experience and will be trained to make good reccomendations on the gear they have available. If you buy from them you get a dividend and you can return it if it doesn't work out..EXCEPT that in your case you could not return it or even use that dividend really.

I would reccommend Mountain Crossings where you will be waited on by experienced long distance hikers who knows what works out on the trail. They will sit down and figure out what works best for you (including your budget). They have a store full of gear..from the high end to the low end they can outfit anybody. Since they are a few days up the trail most North bound thru hikers stop in for their gear shakedown and wound up switching some of their gear out for better choices. How nice it would be to go there before your hike and get that expert advice and fitting.

strollingalong
05-09-2011, 16:42
I think you've sold me, firefly!
Get a train/shuttle/hitch up to neels gap. buy a lot of stuff, a quick taster of the trail and then I can thank them when I go back through again! and shake down/pick up other bits. Fantastic idea.

What things should I not risk with this method? Runners, socks and hammock are what I need practice/time with as far as I see. I suppose even buying a backpack so late on would be recommendable because I wouldn't have much stuff to put in it any earlier!

I suppose $1000 would be more than enough if by that stage as I will already have:
shoes
socks
some clothing
hammock
stove
knife
headlamp