PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker Looking for a Little Help

Ruckus
05-09-2011, 18:06
Hello there everyone. I'm new to the forum and to the Appalachian Trail and was hoping to get some needed information and maybe even some opinions. I've been doing some research and I've become a bit overwhelmed by everything. I'm also a bit new to such long hikes; day hikes, biking trips, and kayaking trips aren't new to me, but this will be my(and my friends) first time hiking and camping for an extended period of time. As such, I'm quite inexperienced on this subject.

Anyways, in the next few weeks, I'm going to Blue Ridge, Georgia with a friend and we decided we'd like to hike a section of the AT. I assume we should start at Springer Mountain, and we want to do about a 1 week hike(Maybe more depending on how we feel), but I don't know where to end. Ideally, I would like to do a big loop, say Springer to Neals Gap, but I would like to hike a different trail back. Is that possible at all or would someone recommend something different?

And while I'm at it, I'm in the market for a good backpack. Something I can take with my Mountain Biking and Kayaking, but also on a good 3-4 day adventure. Something that can convert to a larger pack when needed, but small enough for those 1 day adventures. Anyone have any opinions on this subject?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

Ankle Bone
05-09-2011, 18:24
One option is to park at ASP and get a shuttle to Dicks Creek Gap. It would be about a week to hike South to get back to your car, and you have places to get off the trail along the way if needed. Car will be safe at ASP.

Tinker
05-09-2011, 19:32
As far as the pack goes, it's generally agreed that you should buy your gear first and then get a pack to fit it into. Personally, I'd get two packs, one for light and small loads and another for heavier, bulkier loads.
Packs are like shoes (almost). It seems that there isn't one which is better than the others. I carry light loads and use frameless packs, which are lighter than framed packs, though they tend to be hotter because they ride against your back.
EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) and REI (Recreational Equipment Incorporated) are two stores where you can shop online. Campmor is another.
Current favorite brands seem to be Osprey, Granite Gear, ULA, and Golite.
Have fun shopping. You might want to peruse the gear for sale thread here, too. :)

SassyWindsor
05-09-2011, 20:38
Welcome, you'll have no problems on WB having suggestions tossed your way.

Blissful
05-09-2011, 21:06
Nothing to be overwhelmed about. Pick up some gear and take a hike. I'd only invest in nicer stuff if you plan to make this a tried and true hobby.
Winton and staff at Neel gap can also help with gear

Blissful
05-09-2011, 21:24

Spider
05-10-2011, 02:26
I recommend the GoLite Pinnacle. It's a great pack, very light (frameless), and easy to use for extended trips or short ones. You can connect some straps and it turns from a day pack to a pack capable of sustaining you for an AT thru. I think it's a bit pricy but if you wait for a bit you'll probably be able to find a good sale. I bought mine for $105 and I've seen it on sale for $85 since then.

Toli
05-10-2011, 06:02
Hello there everyone. I'm new to the forum and to the Appalachian Trail and was hoping to get some needed information and maybe even some opinions. I've been doing some research and I've become a bit overwhelmed by everything. I'm also a bit new to such long hikes; day hikes, biking trips, and kayaking trips aren't new to me, but this will be my(and my friends) first time hiking and camping for an extended period of time. As such, I'm quite inexperienced on this subject.

Anyways, in the next few weeks, I'm going to Blue Ridge, Georgia with a friend and we decided we'd like to hike a section of the AT. I assume we should start at Springer Mountain, and we want to do about a 1 week hike(Maybe more depending on how we feel), but I don't know where to end. Ideally, I would like to do a big loop, say Springer to Neals Gap, but I would like to hike a different trail back. Is that possible at all or would someone recommend something different?

And while I'm at it, I'm in the market for a good backpack. Something I can take with my Mountain Biking and Kayaking, but also on a good 3-4 day adventure. Something that can convert to a larger pack when needed, but small enough for those 1 day adventures. Anyone have any opinions on this subject?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

Hike from Springer to Neels Gap, turn around, go back over Blood Mountain and jump on the Duncan Ridge Trail... At Long Creek Falls, head South back on the AT to Springer... Duncan Ridge Trail is EPIC!!! Done that loop in 5 days, but 6 days is more friendly :D...

JaxHiker
05-10-2011, 09:33
One option is to park at ASP and get a shuttle to Dicks Creek Gap. It would be about a week to hike South to get back to your car, and you have places to get off the trail along the way if needed. Car will be safe at ASP.

This is what my friends and I do. We used to stage vehicles at either end and sometimes in the middle but it's a hassle. Now we just leave one at the end and get a shuttle so we can hike back to it. I like this section of trail mentioned. The Duncan sounds fun but probably not very fun for a new hiker.

Ruckus
05-10-2011, 17:00
Why would Duncan Ridge Trail not be fun for a new hiker? Is it a more difficult hike? If so, I think we will be OK. We are both in fairly good shape and worst case scenario it takes an extra day or so.

I think we will try the route Toli mentioned. Just one question though; will there be signs pointing to Duncan Ridge from Blood Mountain? I'd like to attempt that hike, but I don't wanna miss Duncan Ridge.

Also, thanks for all the responses so far. I've gotten a lot of great info from everyone and this website.

Ruckus
05-10-2011, 19:14
Oh, and if anyone cares, I plan on getting the Osprey Kestrel 58 Pack. I'll get a smaller bag later if I see a need for one.

pattydivins
05-10-2011, 19:45
I don't care.