PDA

View Full Version : Cous Cous and chicken

JumpInTheLake
05-09-2011, 20:05
I need recipe ideas for cous cous and tyson chicken packets.

So far I'm thinking some spice and marinade flavor packets, butter, parmesan and chicken. How can I improve this concept?

mmais68569
05-09-2011, 20:37
One idea I like with the chicken is:
Stove Top Dressing (lets say 1 cup) add a handful of Cranraisans place in a gal. size freezer bag. When you get ready to eat add water & chicken let stand a few min. & Thanksgiving dinner.
Also if you use Coos Coos ad some salt & pepper with some Cumin, will give you the India flare.

Mike

bigcranky
05-09-2011, 20:50
I need recipe ideas for cous cous and tyson chicken packets.

So far I'm thinking some spice and marinade flavor packets, butter, parmesan and chicken. How can I improve this concept?

Yes to any or all of those things. I would go with vegetarian bullion cubes, then add dehydrated mushrooms, dried tomatoes, maybe some other dried veggies to the water while it comes to a boil. Then pour over the couscous, add the chicken, and let stand for a few minutes. Then eat.

I've also had couscous and lentils, but the lentils can be a pain to cook unless you soak them for a while. So I just pre-cooked and dehydrated them -- now they come back in ten minutes in a cozy.

Snowleopard
05-09-2011, 21:10
A recipe from Sarbar's website:
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/no-cook-chicken-cranberry-couscous-salad
I tried it yesterday, without half the ingredients, and it was good; it would have been better with the rest (no cranberries, no sunflower seeds, used olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead of salad dressing). It's neat because it required no cooking at all.

Deadeye
05-09-2011, 21:12
How about this:
into the water you're about to boil for the cous-cous, add some dehydrated veggies (carrots, broccoli, green beans, onions, whatever), let 'em soak while you unroll your bag or hit the privy/wash up. If you're in a hurry, just soak for as long as you have, if it's 5 minutes, so be it. Bring the water & veggies to a boil, add the chicken, some curry powder, red pepper flakes, raisins, and the cous-cous. Cover with a cozy and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Enjoy.

Don't like the sweet/hot combo? Leave out the raisins. No veggies? Use other dried fruits like apples or apricots with the raisins.

Blissful
05-09-2011, 21:28
Dry some canned chicken, let it soak too in some water in your pot while you set up camp (or with some dried veggies as mentioned), bring to boil, add some flavored couscous (I've gotten some at farmer's markets) and let sit, delish and much lighter weight. :)

JumpInTheLake
05-10-2011, 09:43
All very good ideas - keep em coming please!

Spokes
05-10-2011, 09:54
I carry a bulb of fresh garlic and add a chopped up clove to almost every dinner. Simple and delicious.

Farr Away
05-10-2011, 10:59
You could also use about half a packet of gravy mix (the kind that makes 1 cup) with the couscous and chicken. This is also good with veggies or craisins, or any of the other suggestions above.

Cheese is also good. This can be cheese sauce mix, velveeta, string cheese, baby bell, cheddar, parmesan, or anything else that takes your fancy. Harder cheeses tend to hold up better, longer, in the pack.

-FA