PDA

View Full Version : Some Katahdin Stream Campground questions answered

TJ aka Teej
05-09-2011, 21:05
Your bus gets in many miles away from the Park at 7:30 at night. Contact the AT Lodge about their MEGA deal, they'll pick you up, put you up for the night, and take you to the Ranger's cabin the next day. It's really a good deal.

Watch the snow melt here: http://www.neoc.com/webcam/twin-pines-webcam-camera1.php
and here: http://www.chesuncooklakehouse.com/webcam.html
and from the east: http://www.katahdincam.com/
Please don't call it 'the big K' or 'Mount Katahdin' - the name of the mountain is Katahdin, and the summit is Baxter Peak.
Share - the bus ride, the shuttle, the campsite - save $, make friends.
You're most likely not going to climb on May 15th. Here's my 'unofficial' list of opening dates over the last several years:

'11 Park is considering postponing May 15th opening.
'10 May 25th
'09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol.
'08 May 29th (Park had canceled May 15th opening)
'07 May 31st
'06 May 18th (Abol May 15th)
'05 June 4th
'04 May 16th
'03 May 24th
'02 May 15th (Day hikers summited via Abol May 10th)
'01 prior to May 20th
'00 Memorial Day Weekend
'99 May 18th (per South Walker '99)

You want to book a lean-to for the night before and after your climb. Your gear stays dry, you can get a pre-tourist start in the AM, and you get to recover from the AT's hardest 10.2 miles around a campfire. The long hike out the next day to Hurd Brook Lean-to can be a slog with tired legs, so relax and get a well deserved good night's sleep.

Map: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/images/maps/Katahdin-Stream-Cmpgrnd-Map.gif
Tent sites 16 and 17 are roomy, plenty of space for two or three backpacking tents,
Lean-tos 1-3 are quiet walk-ins, lean-tos 4-8 are streamside and away from the parking area.
Buy a bundle of firewood or two at the Ranger's cabin. Cash only, you can also buy maps and guides.
Note: The AT has been relo'd to go straight across the tote road and behind Grassy Pond, a throw back to the route Earl Shaffer took.
Yes, you can start before 7 AM if the trail was open the day before.
Local radio station and weather: http://www.themountain949.com/
TALK WITH THE RANGER!

Blissful
05-09-2011, 21:19
Please don't call it 'the big K' or 'Mount Katahdin' - the name of the mountain is Katahdin, and the summit is Baxter Peak.

Super, super info...

...but is the above sentence really needed for a successful SOBO on the grand scale of things? I mean I could easily take offense with thru and section hikers always calling SNP here in VA "The Shenandoahs" when its known as Shenandoah.

Whooptie do.

So hikers you're on notice - please don't call Shenandoah National Park the Shenandoahs anymore...

:D:D

peakbagger
05-10-2011, 06:28
Some minor additions to an excellent post

Katahdin Stream is infamous for lots of overly friendly critters that will go after any food if its left out. They recommend that all food be kept in vehicles or latchable containers which isnt much use to backpackers dropped off. The critters at the site have been habituated to humans for many years and are well trained at how to get at your food.

There is no cell service or electric power at the campground. There usually is cell service near the top of the mountain.

There is no last minute place to buy anything in the park. The closest place is Abol Bridge outside the park. They have a basic variety of goods but its very pricey and a half of day walk from the campground so it is not a viable source while at KSC.

Make sure you have bug repellent it will be buggy.

The campsite is carry in carry out, If you want to lug beer and champagne up the mountain you have to carry the empties out of the park or find someone to do it for you.

There is a lot of human use along the stream which is the water source, plan on treating it.

protargol
05-10-2011, 14:54
You're most likely not going to climb on May 15th. Here's my 'unofficial' list of opening dates over the last several years:

'11 Park is considering postponing May 15th opening.
'10 May 25th
'07 May 31st
'05 June 4th
'04 May 16th
'03 May 24th
'01 prior to May 20th
'00 Memorial Day Weekend

Great info! Got any estimate for a start date for this year? The nice ladies at Baxter State Park don't want to pick a date because they're afraid of me being mad if they're wrong (I'm assuming). I was wondering if you could give an honest estimate based on your experience? I'm shooting for a June 4 summit, but need to figure out if I need to reconsider. Thanks!

So hikers you're on notice - please don't call Shenandoah National Park the Shenandoahs anymore...

:D:D

Guess all SOBO's have no excuse now!

TJ aka Teej
05-10-2011, 18:30
- please don't call Shenandoah National Park the Shenandoahs anymore...

Little things do matter :D

TJ aka Teej
05-10-2011, 18:45
I'm shooting for a June 4 summit, but need to figure out if I need to reconsider.

There's no telling from a distance. It could snow some more. I'll be up there next week, but even if the roads and campgrounds are open the mountain may not be. All early start MEGAs should have a plan B, like heading north from Monson, or bouncing back to Baxter from Monson.

protargol
05-11-2011, 00:18
There's no telling from a distance. It could snow some more. I'll be up there next week, but even if the roads and campgrounds are open the mountain may not be. All early start MEGAs should have a plan B, like heading north from Monson, or bouncing back to Baxter from Monson.

Well, I'm in Boston and the plan is to drive up, so my plan B is just leave when the trail opens. Hopefully that works. Thanks for the great info

Chop
06-18-2011, 19:15
Any issues stealth camping near Katahdin stream campground?

I had to change my dates last minute and the campground is full for my second night. I reserved a spot in another campsite, but it is 45 min away (by car).

weary
06-18-2011, 21:50
Any issues stealth camping near Katahdin stream campground?

I had to change my dates last minute and the campground is full for my second night. I reserved a spot in another campsite, but it is 45 min away (by car).
There are no legal stealth sites near Katahdin Stream that I've heard of. But things change from year to year. If you have a car you should just go to the alternative campground. There are no terrible camping areas in the park. It's a chance to explore a bit in another section of a mostly wild park.

if you are a friendly guy, sometimes you can get invited to camp with someone else. JUst wander among the campsites and ask about the willingness to share

peakbagger
06-19-2011, 05:51
There are big issues about stealth camping in the park. They take their rules seriiously and stealth camping is not allowed and will earn you a trip out of the park and a fine. The reality is that rarely will you need to stealth camp as there are frequently last minute openings at campsites when people leave early or there are no shows. If you let the rangers know, they can work with you, if you decide to go it on your own thats when you can get in trouble.

Pure speculation is they may let you stay at the Birches (entirely at their discretion). There are sometimes trail crew sites that are available. Since you have made the effort to book a campsite, the staff will mostly likely be more helpful, but dont get on their wrongside.

Chop
06-19-2011, 15:53
thanks folks. all helpful words that will most likely keep us out trouble.

TJ aka Teej
06-19-2011, 21:25
I'd say enjoy that second night at the other campground. Be sure to talk with the Rangers right when you get in, they are really helpful, and might be able to figure out something.

weary
06-19-2011, 22:27
I'd say enjoy that second night at the other campground. Be sure to talk with the Rangers right when you get in, they are really helpful, and might be able to figure out something.
I'd say that Tj is giving good advice. When I arrived at Baxter on October 15, many years ago, preparing to climb Katahdin I had no place to stay that night, when officially the park was closing.

A couple of radio calls later, me and my wife were in a "VIP" cabin at Daisy Pond. We spent the night there on the 15th, I climbed the mountain the next morning, and camped that night with my wife after six months on the trail. We left the park on October 17.

Don't plan on such largesse. But being friendly helps, I've found.

Blissful
06-20-2011, 08:51
You may alos be able to share a site with another hiker. Some SOBOS did that last year when they didn't know they needed reservations to stay at the campground. But the rangers are very helpful, totally hiker-friendly

TJ aka Teej
04-05-2012, 09:53
Bumping this up as the MEGA season fast approaches.

Updating the 2011 info:

'11 May 28th (Park opening was delayed til May 20)
'10 May 25th
'07 May 31st
'05 June 4th
'04 May 16th
'03 May 24th
'01 prior to May 20th, but not May 15th
'00 Memorial Day Weekend

tenn_hiker
04-05-2012, 18:37
Bumping this up as the MEGA season fast approaches.

Updating the 2011 info:

'11 May 28th (Park opening was delayed til May 20)
'10 May 25th
'07 May 31st
'05 June 4th
'04 May 16th
'03 May 24th
'01 prior to May 20th, but not May 15th
'00 Memorial Day Weekend

Any idea when it will open this year?

TJ aka Teej
04-05-2012, 22:25
Any idea when it will open this year?

Katahdin Stream and Abol campgrounds May 15th. Trails up from there, hard to tell. The Tableland needs to dry out before hikers are allowed up.

Quadzilla
04-06-2012, 16:55
Early Spring in Maine this year, so May 15 should be a go. The big issues are the gravel roads in the Park, but with the early meltoff, most of the frost is coming out of the ground earlier than usual and the roads should be graded and easily passable. The Hunt and Abol trails are usually the first trails to be opened since they have a southerly exposure and the snow melts quicker in the direct sunlight (may be a few pockets of snow in the dense fir, but nothing major). Was up near "the mountain" last week and this is the earliest I have ever seen the snow retreat. Hopefully, there won't be as many bugs this year since most of the breeding waters are drying up as well.......Quadzilla www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

doglvr
05-13-2012, 13:01
Starting a 30 to 60 day southbound hike starting at Katahdin in June. Getting ready to mail in my campground request to Baxter this week for mid to late June and was curious if anyone has ever hung a hammock at Katahdin Stream? Do they not allow it or are there no places to hang? Should I note it on the request? I was just curious since I have to mark preference for tent sites or lean-to.

yellowsirocco
05-13-2012, 15:14
Starting a 30 to 60 day southbound hike starting at Katahdin in June. Getting ready to mail in my campground request to Baxter this week for mid to late June and was curious if anyone has ever hung a hammock at Katahdin Stream? Do they not allow it or are there no places to hang? Should I note it on the request? I was just curious since I have to mark preference for tent sites or lean-to.

I stayed a few years back in my hammock and they were cool with it. The way the ranger explained it to me was that if you get a lean-to then you can't put up a tent, but you can put up a hammock. There are plenty of trees around at both the campsites and lean-tos so make your priority getting a site that is between the AT and the stream as those are the best. I would call them and make sure things haven't changed though.

TJ aka Teej
05-13-2012, 21:55
Getting ready to mail in my campground request to Baxter this week for mid to late June and was curious if anyone has ever hung a hammock at Katahdin Stream? Do they not allow it or are there no places to hang? Should I note it on the request?
You need to camp inside the footprint of the campsite, and you must not damage any trees. That pretty much rules out hanging. Your best bet is to rent a lean-to and use your hammock as a bug bivy.

peakbagger
05-14-2012, 09:01
I did disagree with the statement that the campsites between the AT and the stream are the best. I personally like the one on the other side of the stream as the sites along the AT have a lot of traffic going by without a lot of privacey and the tents sites in the mainecampground area are in the open with zero privacy. The shelters and tentsites ont he south side of the stream are a lot quieter with less traffic, plus if you want to visit the birches, its a slightly quicker walk up the road.

cutman11
05-14-2012, 14:11
Ok, so hope this is not too off the thread..I am planning to finish my last sections of the AT in Maine this fall, and have 2 pieces to do: Andover to Stratton, and Whitehouse landing to Katahdin. (I originally planned to finish the entire AT during last hike 2 yr ago doing all of Maine but got bad spider bite and had to leave the trail). So..I would have been able to just plan to stay at the Birches, being that I had been hiking from Stratton, but now with only the short piece from whitehouse, will I have to make alternate arrangements? Or just show up at the Birches as a "thru hiker", even tho I didnt come all the way from Monson? It will be around the first week of Sept (but a weekday after labor day) most likely when I reach that point. I also was considering going across the knife edge and down to the campground on the back side, but would have to take my pack(ULA P2) rather than a day pack. I have heard rumors that the rangers can somehow shuttle your pack to the campground, is that realistic?

TJ aka Teej
05-14-2012, 19:11
So..I would have been able to just plan to stay at the Birches, being that I had been hiking from Stratton, but now with only the short piece from whitehouse, will I have to make alternate arrangements? Or just show up at the Birches as a "thru hiker", even tho I didnt come all the way from Monson?

You have to hike in from at least Monson to stay at the Birches Long Distance hikers site.

I have heard rumors that the rangers can somehow shuttle your pack to the campground, is that realistic?

Nope. Once in a while a Ranger may do someone a favor - that doesn't mean anyone should plan on it.

TJ aka Teej
05-14-2012, 19:16
The shelters and tentsites ont he south side of the stream are a lot quieter with less traffic, plus if you want to visit the birches, its a slightly quicker walk up the road.

Those walk in sites are really nice.
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/pdf/campmaps/Katahdin_Stream_08.pdf

doglvr
05-15-2012, 19:48
Thanks for responses everybody. Sent the app in today with 3 sets of 2 days each and requested LTs on each. Don't want to risk a campsite that might not have a spot for a hammock or not allow one.

doglvr
05-24-2012, 21:46
So, I got the reservation back. They gave me one night. Not sure if they just didn't read the form or if they don't like giving out of staters 2 nights. You have to laugh. So my hope is that the shuttle from AT Inn will get us to Baxter early enough of the morning of my reservation day to climb Katahdin and then camp that night and start south the next morning.

Skid.
05-27-2012, 15:57
So, I got the reservation back. They gave me one night. Not sure if they just didn't read the form or if they don't like giving out of staters 2 nights. You have to laugh. So my hope is that the shuttle from AT Inn will get us to Baxter early enough of the morning of my reservation day to climb Katahdin and then camp that night and start south the next morning.

You probably waited too long to mail in your request, which is most likely why you only got one nite. I sent mine in two weeks ago for an August stay, had no problems getting my first choice for two nites, and I am also out of state.

Grampie
05-28-2012, 10:16
A few words of advise: During my 01 thru I flipped. My wife drove me, along with a friend and another thru-hiker to Maine to start hiking SOBO. It was July 21. Spent the night at the AT Loge in Millinocket and left for Baxter the next morning at 5 am. When we arrived at the gate there was already a line of about 15 cars waiting for the park to open. At 7 they started to let cars into the park. When we arrived at the gate the attendant asked what we were planning to do. We told her that we wanted to go to Katahdin Springs campground to be left off and hike the AT Hunt Trail up the mountain. The attendant informed us that Katahdin Springs campgrounds was at it's limit and we would not be allowed to enter it. After some thought we asked the attendant where else we could hike. She directed us to another location. Our plan was to find where the At crossed the park tote road, get out and start hiking. We just hoped that there would not be someone at he campgrounds checking. We came to the AT. My wife let us out and off we hiked.
When going to Baxter to hike Katahdin make sure that you make some phone calls to make the proper arrangements before you go.

doglvr
05-28-2012, 15:10
I think they just mis-read the form. I got the approval 27 days out from the dates requested (6/18-20) - which was my first choice. They gave me the 19th. I'm totally cool with it. I had just read in some places that state residents get preference dates especially July and August. Not sure if that was accurate or not. I'm just thrilled that I have everything set. Praying for no delays in flights/buses on my way in...... and of course for decent weather that morning to the summit. Would love to start a 30 day hike off on a good note.

Miner
05-28-2012, 20:43
If I can't let them know more then a week or two ahead of time of the date that I will start in the first half of July, does that mean I have no chance at a campsite for even 1 night on a weekday?

Blissful
05-28-2012, 20:53
You can make them four months prior using an online form. Two weeks is for phone ins. See http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/reservation/index.php

weary
05-29-2012, 23:58
The more notice the better. But the crunch tends to come later as the north bounders start arriving -- or did. I've sort of lost touch. Most ME to Ga folks used to get squeezed in somewhere.

If I can't let them know more then a week or two ahead of time of the date that I will start in the first half of July, does that mean I have no chance at a campsite for even 1 night on a weekday?

mcgrabo
09-30-2013, 09:58
Hello; I am not a hiker, so this is all new to me. My son and a couple of other hikers will be getting to Katahdin around Oct 12. What should I do 1st ? I am traveling up from VT to pick them up and I am not familiar with any of Millinocket or Katahdin. Should I get a room in town or get a campsite for them ? Any thoughts or suggestions will be helpful. Thanks, Mike G

peakbagger
09-30-2013, 13:01
Your son gets to stay in special campsite called the Birches which is immediately before Katahdin Stream Campground. There is a limited capacity so he could possibly have to spend a night outside the park at Abol Bridge to get to into the Birches. He can climb the summit from outside the Park but it makes for a long day. So if you know where he is on what day, you could reserve a campsite for he and his friends at Katahdin Stream and then they don't have to worry about the Birches. From the Birches he gets up in the morning and hikes up the mountain to summit. Most hikers head back down the either the Hunt Trail (the AT) to Katahdin Stream or the Abol Trail down to Abol campground. They easily can be down off the mountain by 3 to 4 PM. If you are picking him up, there are other options to come down, possibly ending up at Roaring Brook. Most of the sites in the park are booked the weekend of the 12th so making reservations for yourself in the park is not currently an option. If you want or need this info go to this link http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/ and check availability. If you want to meet him at the parking lot at Katahdin Stream and plan to be parked any period of time, you have to make a day use parking reservation at this location http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/bsp_public/scripts/BSP_Public.exe/duproverview. Currently there are only a few slots open at Katahdin Stream. You potentially will get hassled and asked to leave the park if you try to just sit in your car and wait for him at this parking lot without a day use pass. If the weather is marginal, there are many no shows and you can probably get a pass at the gate from a no show.

There are several local motels in Millinocket (no national chains). Alternatively there are national chains in Bangor Maine (about 1 hour and 20 minutes south of Millinocket. The Millinocket motels are about 45 minutes to the park gate and another 45 minutes from the gate to Katahdin Stream via the park roads. The park roads are narrow, bumpy and dusty and 25 MPH is the speed limit and about as fast as most would want to drive. You have to pay $14 to drive into the park unless you have Maine Plates and they will give you road map that shows where you need to go.

Cell service is marginal to non existent in the Park so ensuring he is in the park and ready to be picked up is a challenge. Cell phones normally work above tree line so he could call you as he is heading down before going in the woods. Using this method you pick a time to meet him awhile after he plans to be at the trailhead.

Most thru hikers will be catching a bus at Medway (at the Interstate exit that leads to Millinocket) or a flight from Bangor or possibly Portland. The bus in Medway leaves early (9:30 AM) so many thru hikers will stay in town the night before or will hitch a ride south and skip the bus. You can easily head out of the town and down I95 after you have picked him up.

mcgrabo
09-30-2013, 19:17
Thanks Peak: I will read this thru a couple of times and then probably have more question, if you are willing to help some more. I think I will try to get a room in Millinocket for a couple of days. My son is not real good about giving me details, so I want to be as prepared as I can be. I used to watch a TV show about logging in Millinocket. The Pelletier family was the main focus of the show. They opened a restaurant in one show and I would like to go there if they are open. I am semi retired, so I have the time and this is a 1 time deal for me and my boy. Thanks again, Mike G.

Water Rat
09-30-2013, 19:25
The Pelletier Loggers Family Restaurant Bar And Grill is located next to the AT Lodge in Millinocket. It is open and worth a look. :)

Starchild
09-30-2013, 20:25

Katahdin means 'the greatest mountain', but the name recorded officially as Mt Katahdin as decided by the US Board on Geographic Names in 1893 , so meaning 'Mount The Greatest Mountain'.

So Mt Katahdin is correct, but redundant.

peakbagger
10-01-2013, 13:02
The Pelletiers trucking garage is not far out of Millinocket, basically follow the signs to the hospital on Rt 11 (west) and about 1/2 mile from the Hospital turn right across from the mill gate. You are now on the Golden Road, their shop is about a 1/2 mile in on the right. (they don't offer tours). The stretch of the Golden road out of Millinocket, past the Pelletiers place is signed no trespassing (although many ignore it) for a few miles. To legally access it drive north out of Millinocket following the Baxter State Park signs and to the Ambejesus lake dam. The Golden road runs parallel to the state road on your left and you can turn on it there. If you stay on the Golden Road, the AT crosses the road at the Abol Bridge Road and you may want to stop in and see the thruhikers register to see if your son has passed through into the park. In theory unless the Birches is full from this point he is about 2 to 3 hours to the Birches.

The Pelletiers Restaurant is on the Main street of Millinocket just down the road from the AT café (good spot for breakfast) many thruhikers stop there.

mcgrabo
10-08-2013, 17:23
Thanks all for your help. I am heading up on Thursday, Oct 10. The kid should be at Katahdin stream camp ground that day to hike up to the summit. Hope all goes well for him and his fellow hikers. I am really looking forward to the trip and visiting Millinocket and Katahdin. Thanks again, Mike G

mcgrabo
10-12-2013, 07:29
Hello Folks. Got to KSC on Oct 10th and waited for my son. Lots of hikers were finishing their journey, so it was great to be there. Meet a bunch of real nice people, young and old. Moms and dads waiting for their kids, ( yes, you are still 'our kids' ). Meet a couple of park rangers that were very helpful, also some campers that were just getting away from it all for a day or 2. I spent over 6 hours in the camp ground, so I was just looking for information from everyone, thanks. My son hadn't shown up, so I started asking hikers if they had seen him. A few had seen him and thought he should have been down by now. I shared the whoopee pies, my wife had made, with the hikers and some of their friends. I saved 1 for the kid, it was the smallest 1. Offered some sodas, which they seemed to enjoyed. I know I wasn't invited, but this was a great party. Some hikers said he may have come down off Katahdin (what a great word ), on a different trail. I waited until dark and asked if anyone wanted a ride into town. A young couple from Cali rode down with me. It was great hearing about their journey. Got to the hotel and the boy and a couple of his trail mates had already showered ( man, that room still stunk ). They had come down the Razor's Edge trail and were in town 2 hours before me. Probably borin' the hell out of you, so I will stop. I will never forget this trip. Oh, gave myself a trail name, Hoss. Thanks for all the help here and there. Mike G.

gumball
10-12-2013, 18:45
Mike, we were there the day before you, just scouting for the last of our section hikes coming up (we hope) in the upcoming year. There was a dad, I assume, waiting for his kid to come down that day too--radio going, cooler in the back of his truck. Looked like he was having a good time. We enjoyed our day in the park, got lots of good photos and are really looking forward to doing this final section. Glad you found your son :)

mcgrabo
10-14-2013, 18:34
Thanks. I was worried because a hiker was asked if he had hiked the knife's edge and his reply was, "No way ". I saw the log that my son had signed in the morning and it said he left at 7:57 and was going to hike the Knife's edge. It got dark and I headed to town. He had traveled 2,180 miles and had been sleeping outdoors, so I hoped he would be okay. When I got to the hotel and he was there, I was very relieved. It was a great time for me. Hikers are amazing.