PDA

View Full Version : Condensed non-biased info on hammocks

theurbansuburban
01-26-2005, 19:41
This message board has alot of info on JRB and HH hammocks, and yet i'm still confused. When people use under and over quilts do they also use a sleeping bag. If not, how cold can it get before you may need a sleeping bag. Are there any well known brands (REI, EMS, etc.) hammocks that do the same as JRB and HH, or are there any retail spots where I can look at a JRB and HH hammocks before buying them, i'm the kinda guy where pictures just aren't enough. There are many more questions, but instead of asking them, I'll just ask if there is a page where alot of information on hammock camping is?

Thanks, this board is an ammazing place to find any AT
Can't wait for my week on the AT in march :banana

SGT Rock
01-26-2005, 20:28
REI carried (I don't know if they still do) the Hennessy Hammock. Some outfitters do as well. I know the one here does as do a couple in Knoxville.

Some folks still use bags in their hammocks, but a lot of them have found that they don't want a bag and end up using theirs as a quilt.

Kerosene
01-27-2005, 01:36
I'd also take a look at Sgt. Rock's website: http://hikinghq.net. He has a lot of good, unbiased info on hammocking that could help you make a decision.

titanium_hiker
01-27-2005, 07:12
I was curious about hammock camping too. I did some googleing, and I found a bunch of cool sites that helped me get hooked.

http://www.imrisk.com - all the links, but the http://www.imrisk.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl hamock wiki deserves special mention.
also Jacks R Better *URL pending*

umm... I also found a google for "hammock camping" was very useful, search for just hammock and you get a lot of sites that are about backyard hammocks.

have fun, get hooked!
titanium_hiker

VAMTNHIKER
01-27-2005, 08:07
REI carried (I don't know if they still do) the Hennessy Hammock. Some outfitters do as well. I know the one here does as do a couple in Knoxville.

Some folks still use bags in their hammocks, but a lot of them have found that they don't want a bag and end up using theirs as a quilt.

I bought my HH Explorer Asynch through REI last year; they still had them in the Natick, MA store two weeks ago while I was up in Boston.

I have been using both my Kelty Light Year and WM 45 degree bag as quilts; currently reviewing JRB and Tom Hennessey's solutions. I have to admit, I am leaning towards JRB's.

rpettit
01-27-2005, 08:18
I just started hammocking this past fall. If I can give you any advice, don't make a quick decision. I just sort of jumped into it without educating myself with the wealth of information available online and elsewhere. I wasted money doing it, because I changed hammock models. Another source of information that I have read about on this website is the "Trail Days" function. I have never been, but from what I understand a lot of outdoor gear vendors, including hammock manufacturers, set up and display their products, I plan to attend this year.

SGT Rock
01-27-2005, 09:30
I have been using both my Kelty Light Year and WM 45 degree bag as quilts; currently reviewing JRB and Tom Hennessey's solutions. I have to admit, I am leaning towards JRB's.

I know what you mean Steve. I'm a huge Tom Hennessy fan, the guy is about the nicest, most sincere gentleman and he makes a great product he stands behind.

His system and JRBs both have pros and cons:

JRB - Very flexible since you can use your quilts as clothing to cut down on clothing. The breathable weather shield (something I haven't tried) should help create a nice pocket of stable air while providing just enough breath-ability to keep you dry. The top shield is something I still haven't gotten my mind around yet. If you carry a light pad (like my 9.6 ounce) then you can still stay in a shelter if you need to and if it gets really cold you can set up on the ground with your pad and use both quilts on top.

HH - more specialized to staying in a hammock. The pads are VERY light and VERY compressible. But if you had to stay in a shelter using just these pads you would most likely not get great sleep since they are so soft to the point of being too soft. The sil-nylon top and bottom are now separate pieces and they probably work great in dry, cold weather. But I think that an AT hiker would most likely get a variety of weather the system maybe a bit much. You don't get the multi functionality of the quilts.

I personally like my current system, but that is my preference. I have a new quilt for the top to go out and try this weekend. I hope it gets cold, but not too cold.

peter_pan
01-27-2005, 09:36
theurbansuburban, etal.

www.jacksrbetter.com will take you to our web site. There are several articles that address your questions on techniques.

At this time the JRB line is only available thru the web site or mail order. Increased production has enabled us to stay pretty much even with orders or keep backlog to about 7 days. No guarentees when the Spring outfitting season begins.

We have shipped JRB quilts or gear to 26 states as well as UK, Japan, Australia and Canada. We will attempt to put you in touch with someone in your area with our gear, if you desire. Also, our line comes with a 100% satisfaction guarentee ( see site). If not satisfide send it back for a full refund, less shipping. This is often less cost than the gas, at $2/gal round trip to an outfitter to check an item out.

We were at Trail Days 04 and will be there again this year.

flyfisher
01-27-2005, 19:34
This message board has alot of info on JRB and HH hammocks, and yet i'm still confused. When people use under and over quilts do they also use a sleeping bag. If not, how cold can it get before you may need a sleeping bag. Are there any well known brands (REI, EMS, etc.) hammocks that do the same as JRB and HH, or are there any retail spots where I can look at a JRB and HH hammocks before buying them, i'm the kinda guy where pictures just aren't enough. There are many more questions, but instead of asking them, I'll just ask if there is a page where alot of information on hammock camping is?

Thanks, this board is an ammazing place to find any AT
Can't wait for my week on the AT in march :banana

Like Rock said, most of us in hammocks end up using a quilt or using a mummy bag mostly un zipped as a quilt.

One thing you can do to think about hammock camping - to find out if you like sleeping overnight in a hammock - is to build a test hammock. My website has a set of instructions for doing so for about ten bucks.

The Hammock Camping group is going to be doing an earlyish hangout at Hot Springs NC during their trail festival in the second half of April. There are usually plenty of people in Hennessy Hammocks, Speer Hammocks, home-made hammocks, and often the other small manufacturers of hammocks. Come join the fun. If you decide to buy a hammock, the outfitter sells Hennessy Hammocks and Ed Speer will be there to sell one of his if you like.

Duck on over to the Hammock Hangers group on yahoo to ask as many questions as you like. This forum is good , but not everyone hangs out here.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/messages

flyfisher
01-27-2005, 19:36
Dang! Second half of April... SEcond half of April.... Second half of April.

(Corrected above)

Risk