PDA

View Full Version : Carrots

carrots
05-09-2011, 23:13
With 4 days to go before I begin, I just realized I have no veggies or fruit. All 5,000 calories a day are made up of gorp, pbj tortillas, canned meats, and noodles. Lots of noodles. How long will carrots last on the trail? I don't need baby carrots. I'm quite content eating a package of whole carrots.

Panzer1
05-09-2011, 23:54
my experience is that very little food spoils on the trail. That's because I always eat it before it goes bad.

Panzer

WingedMonkey
05-10-2011, 00:05
One pound of carrots has 184 calories. You can drop them off at Neels Gap when you get tired of carrying them.

mweinstone
05-10-2011, 00:25
a carrot placed over an abandonded mineshaft means danger
an upside down carrot on a tree means danger
a carrot with three blueberries in the crotch of a red oak tree means danger
and so on.

Trailweaver
05-10-2011, 01:22
I do sometimes take fresh veggies when hiking. I like to cook and eat well on the trail, and will take something like that to go with fish that I have frozen to cook for the first night out. Fresh veggies would last a few days on the trail - you would not want to carry them for long because of the weight, so you might get small portions when you go into town to cook when you return to the trail.

Penguin
05-10-2011, 04:37
If your concerned about vitamins throw a few emergen-c's in your boxes. Try to eat a lot of veggies in town, you don't really need them every day. Also for your dinner the day you leave town you could include some, along with a pound of Kielbasa. Hmmm. Anyway I suggest stuff like peppers, avocados, and nuts. Oh wait, GORP you say has nuts, so there you go.

mweinstone
05-10-2011, 07:19
if you ask anyone who hikes with me if i carry carrots, they laugh

if i pull my carrot out of my pocket , they laugh

if they come in 23 , see carrots , and get confused, they laugh

if someone passes them my carrot, they laugh

if they see me working with carots in any way, or buying them, they laugh

sometimes if they just see me hiking, they laugh about carrots

i make hikers think, talk and use carrots more than most.

trustory

Toolshed
05-10-2011, 07:25
With 4 days to go before I begin, I just realized I have no veggies or fruit. All 5,000 calories a day are made up of gorp, pbj tortillas, canned meats, and noodles. Lots of noodles. How long will carrots last on the trail? I don't need baby carrots. I'm quite content eating a package of whole carrots.
Harrrumpphhh... typical 18 year old. Thinks he can live for years on beefsticks and ramen.....:D

mweinstone
05-10-2011, 07:41

all you have is veggies and fruit

gorp contains fruit
jelly contains fruit
dandilion greens are absolutly everywhere for the enjoying. steamed or boiled with salt butter olive oil or vineger. when the boiling water is changed, or if its abundent , squeezed of their exstra juices, witch are bitter, they taste exactly like spinnach.better.freasher. more vitimins. no carry weight. everywhere.
gabbish?

Spokes
05-10-2011, 08:00
Carrots last about as long as cheese does on the trail......... right?

More carrot trivia HERE (http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/trivia5.html) matty. According to the site "Three Carrots give you enough energy to walk three miles".

Pedaling Fool
05-10-2011, 08:04
Generally speaking veggies don't have much in the way of calories, but they are packed with vitamins/nutrients. That's why I dehydrate many types, including carrots. Raw fruits/veggies are heavy and bulky; it's amazing how many dehydrated tomatoes you can carry in one ziplock baggie. But it sounds like it's a little too late for you to start dehydrating...

Deadeye
05-10-2011, 08:42
I bring carrots. They're crunchy, they got fiber, vitamins, water. They're tasty and expeditious.

skooch
05-10-2011, 08:53
I plan to carry them in my belly. Look forwards to eating raw fruits and veggies while in town. Everyone eats when they get to town anyway.

Farr Away
05-10-2011, 10:53
Fresh carrots should hold up several days in your pack.

You can also look at freeze-dried veggies. Just Tomatoes is a good brand.

-FA

sarbar
05-10-2011, 15:19
Being a root carrots carry well - especially if you get the really small baby ones (which are simply whittled down big carrots). If they start going limp you can soak them in cold water to get moisture back in or better, just cook them!

There is something to be said about "crunch" at times.