PDA

View Full Version : GEAR LIST - May 16th NOBO Thru Hike

travisap
05-10-2011, 00:35
5' 8" 145lb male NOBO leaving May 16th
I am traveling with my roommate, Jake, who will be carrying the tent (Tarptent 2 Squall)

We're planning to do about 6-7 mail drops.

With our late departure date, we will only have 5 months to finish and are aware of what we will have to do to complete the thru hike.

Direct link to the gear list (uploaded via google photo for easy viewing):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/iig61yESvaVkh5-1EPieEA?feat=directlink

Please critique, comment and advise! Thanks.

travisap
05-10-2011, 00:52
*I forgot my headlamp and the wallet. With the Petzl E97 PM Tikka Plus 2 and the ExOfficio wallet + ID the new total is:

Total Base Weight (oz) 294.8
Total Base Weight (lbs) 18.43 $1,292.30

Spokes
05-10-2011, 05:46
Personally, I think you need to carry your own tent. Never know when you'll get separated or sick of each other.

I used the Mountain Crossings Gear List (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). Tried and true. It comes in at about 16 lbs for a cold weather pack, lighter for summer after tweaking.

Good luck!

Ironbelly
05-10-2011, 06:32
I would say ditch either the cribbage board or the cards, or bring one of those mini decks of cards. You can also trim some weight by ditching some of your clothing. Seems like your bringing too many shorts/shirts. 1 set to wear all the time and then a set to sleep in/always keep dry. Looks like you have 5 shirts in that list? And 3 shorts? Not exactly sure what the split shorts are, assuming those are like biker/jockey shorts?

In any case i think you could easily ditch 3 shirts, or if you are hell bent on having an extra set of actual hiking clothes then ditch at least 2 shirts. Same idea with shorts, 1 to wear, 1 to keep dry. Everything else looks ok for the most part. I don't see a compass or map listed, and yes i know you could probably hike the whole trail without needing either but I feel not taking at least a cheap 1oz compass is foolhardy.

Hope you have a good hike, you will work any other kinks out of you are your buddies gear after a week or two on the trail.

Papa D
05-10-2011, 07:20
You are a planner and have really put some time into this - this is a good and admirable list but things change - the first thing that I thought of was already posted - you should have your own shelter - even committed couples get separated on the trail - hiking partners nearly always get separated. Now, that said, I'd get rid of the following at a minimum:

1) Base layer top - merino fleece is plenty
2) Spare shorts - mail drop them but don't carry
3) one of the spare shirts
4) the thermo-wrap - mail drop it
5) stove base
6) rock bag / biner - use a shoe or water bottle
7) cutting board and bake packer - you can gourmet without
8) your camera and stuff is super heavy - mail drop charger
9) ditch the cribbage and cards - people leave games in shelters
10) i'd keep the spiderco and ditch the leatherman
11) just tear out the companion pages you need - 3-5 pages in a zip-lock

hope this helps - getting rid of this now is cheaper than sending it home from Neals Gap!

mweinstone
05-10-2011, 07:31
You are a planner and have really put some time into this - this is a good and admirable list but things change - the first thing that I thought of was already posted - you should have your own shelter - even committed couples get separated on the trail - hiking partners nearly always get separated. Now, that said, I'd get rid of the following at a minimum:

1) Base layer top - merino fleece is plenty
2) Spare shorts - mail drop them but don't carry
3) one of the spare shirts
4) the thermo-wrap - mail drop it
5) stove base
6) rock bag / biner - use a shoe or water bottle
7) cutting board and bake packer - you can gourmet without
8) your camera and stuff is super heavy - mail drop charger
9) ditch the cribbage and cards - people leave games in shelters
10) i'd keep the spiderco and ditch the leatherman
11) just tear out the companion pages you need - 3-5 pages in a zip-lock

hope this helps - getting rid of this now is cheaper than sending it home from Neals Gap!
papad ment hostels for #9. no one leaves anything in shelters. not games, not books, not your extra stuff no matter how good. not a can of food. not candel wax drips, not extra toilet paper, and not the pen you got at the bank you dont want but are sure the shelter needs. nothing gets left anywhere in this sport we call," running from matthewski for our lives , he saw us drop that trash and hes mad".
hostels have games. every one. every hostel. and we make cards with pen and paper when we want.

travisap
05-10-2011, 08:38
Oh and I also forgot my Crocs (12.4oz)

Total Base Weight (oz) 307.2
Total Base Weight (lbs) 19.20 $1,292.30

Blissful
05-10-2011, 11:04
All you'll need is basically summer stuff for now. And t-storm protection. It will be hot and humid going, good luck. Need your warmer stuff in NE

Blissful
05-10-2011, 11:07
Personally, I think you need to carry your own tent. Never know when you'll get separated or sick of each other.

Agree. Or at least carry a lightweight tarp. I would not share any gear. More often then not people quit, get injured, etc.