PDA

View Full Version : female solo summer section ideas?

Sheneequa
05-10-2011, 11:42
Solo female planning 10-day NOBO section hike in early August, within a 3-hour drive of Bear Mountain. Hoping to make friends in the woods...with thru-hikers, not black flies. Suggestions?

sly dog
05-10-2011, 11:52
I'm plannin the same. Maybe see ya out there

LIhikers
05-10-2011, 19:56
Solo female planning 10-day NOBO section hike in early August, within a 3-hour drive of Bear Mountain. Hoping to make friends in the woods...with thru-hikers, not black flies. Suggestions?

Which Bear Mountain? There is more than one ya know.

Skid.
05-10-2011, 21:22
In 2009 I did a SOBO in that general area, Mass Pike south to I-87, Harriman State Park. Did 5 days at shelters, then zeroed in Kent, Ct for one day, two nites. Worked out very well, however I skipped Wm. Brien Memorial Shelter after finding it extremely remote, no water, no privy, and looked like the roof leaks. Try to include Unionville, NY and a stop at the Outhouse (aka the Mayor's House). PM me it you would like more specific details.

Sheneequa
06-09-2011, 14:11
My bad, I meant the Bear Mountain Bridge in New York. Skid, there is a spring at Wm. Brien Memorial Shelter, but finding it's tricky. May only be on the Northern Harriman map. Thanks for the info, folks. Think I'm gonna drive further north and shoot for Glencliff to Gorham, then hitch back to Glencliff. Never hiked that section so any advice is most welcome.