PDA

View Full Version : Route 4 long trail/ AT North water

CTGuy
05-10-2011, 23:47
Me and my buddies are leaving next Friday and doing just over 80 miles in about a week from route 4 in vermont where the AT splits from the Long trail to NH 25 A in New Hampshire. Is there plenty of water on this section? How does this section compares in difficulty to the Mass and CT section of the AT having done all of it? Any good places worth checking out along the way?

Tinker
05-11-2011, 00:17
I don't recall any shortage of water except at Happy Hill Cabin (which is now a more typical shelter). There is a small spring nearby which was dry when I stopped there in the fall (about 20 years ago :D). Rte 4 to the NH line is a series of PUDS (Pointless Ups and Downs) with only one good view from an observation deck on top of a private cabin just off of the trail at about the midway point.
Smarts Mountain and Mt. Cube are the high points (figuratively and literally) in that section (unless you count the endless - and expensive - dining opportunities in Hanover, NH.).

CTGuy
05-11-2011, 18:16
Anyone know the trail conditions for this section such as mud and snow? I also read something about certain parts of the trail in Vermont not being accessible until memorial day because of mud and erosion problems. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rdljr
05-11-2011, 21:27
Green mountain club asks that people not hike the LT or AT until after memorial day due to the wet soil being very fragile this time of year, I have seen no reports of snow below 2800ft but you may find a little in shadows. Water should be abundant as most creeks/rivers/ponds are high to very high right now. That strech of trail should be very muddy and bugs should be plentiful also.

CTGuy
05-12-2011, 02:39
Do you think there will be other people hiking this section? Do you know if they patrol this section or have it closed off? It would be a shame to have to change plans at this point just because of going less than a week before Memorial day. I do understand their concerns though. Thanks!

Cosmo
05-12-2011, 15:59
Plenty of water--this section crosses many streams (hence the PUDs). Lots of black flies. A few nice views, but generally you are in the woods--which will just be leafing out this week and next.

Cosmo

rdljr
05-12-2011, 16:36
It will have some people on it but not many, it crosses way to many roads to be patroled or truely closed.