PDA

View Full Version : Shorts...

Chubbs4U
05-11-2011, 01:39
Not sure why but I always wear shorts. I will put pants on if were going to dinner to a nice place or a wedding, anything else is pretty much shorts. So I have a few questions. I need to find a good pair of shorts. Im looking for both a summer short and a winter short (sounds weird I know) I do not want an inner lining and I need something that can/will dry quickly. Wondering what other people wear and what they rec.

Rocket Jones
05-11-2011, 06:17
Bathing suit.

Mismatch
05-11-2011, 06:56
http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-overhang-short-mens

I don't personally own these shorts, but they are on my wishlist and I have heard awesome things about them.

Mismatch
05-11-2011, 06:57
forgot to mention that they are frequently on steep and cheap.

Chubbs4U
05-11-2011, 18:23
Thanks for that. Going to try on a few pairs before I buy. I dont mind spending the money just want to find the right pairs.

bigcranky
05-11-2011, 18:29
Are these specifically for hiking? I've been wearing some Marmot hiking shorts that I like a lot. They are long enough but not too long, and fairly light but still rugged, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the lining -- if you find shorts you like, you can always cut out any mesh or inner liner. I do that all the time.

jbwood5
05-11-2011, 18:31
Bathing suit.

Ditto... At least on all my hikes. I buy the Walmart $10 trunks with all the pockets and wear bikini underwear for chafe protection.

For long pants I have a pair of Nike nylon loose pants. They get hot real fast so I rarely wear them but they are light as a feature.

All this stuff can be rinsed and dries very quickly on the body or on a line.
Shirts are a little tougher for me to deal with. I try to find a thin blend of 50% cotton and 50% polypro. The high tech, all synthetic shirts are not comfortable for me and stink badly after a couple of hours of sweating. They do dry fast, but so does the 50% blend with cotton.

Chubbs4U
05-11-2011, 19:08
Specifically for hiking yes and no. I would love to find a good hiking short but my work also allows me to work outside quite a bit. So some of the things I need in hiking shorts (weight, weather resistance or easy to dry, pockets, made well, etc.) I would also need in my work shorts. Trying to find a few pairs that arent cotton and that people love. Worked a few weeks ago outside for 14 hrs, 10 of it raining hard so in the first 30 min or so my shorts were soaked. My upper body was dry all day but my pants werent and after awhile, neither were my feet.

bigcranky
05-11-2011, 20:42
I really like the North Face nylon pants that I got for travel and work. I think the model is Paramount, and I have two pairs of regular pants and one pair of zip offs. If TNF made shorts like this, they would be perfect. (I guess the zip offs would qualify as shorts...)

They are comfortable, dry quickly, shed water pretty well, have good pockets, and are built well.

tat44too
05-14-2011, 21:32
I hate wearing pants. I wear shorts year round unless I go somewhere that pants are required. (Like a funeral) I just ordered two pairs of nylon cargo shorts from Campmor, I'll let you know something when they arrive. I'm looking for synthetic, with snaps or zipper, (no velcro or buttons) with plenty of pockets, and with at least an 11" or 12" inseam. These are harder to find than I thought they'd be. Good luck...

gumball
05-15-2011, 06:27
I usually wear running shorts. I don't like longer legged shorts when I am walking, especially up hill and I prefer the lined pairs.

TAS
05-16-2011, 11:39
Ditto... At least on all my hikes. I buy the Walmart $10 trunks with all the pockets and wear bikini underwear for chafe protection.

For long pants I have a pair of Nike nylon loose pants. They get hot real fast so I rarely wear them but they are light as a feature.

All this stuff can be rinsed and dries very quickly on the body or on a line.
Shirts are a little tougher for me to deal with. I try to find a thin blend of 50% cotton and 50% polypro. The high tech, all synthetic shirts are not comfortable for me and stink badly after a couple of hours of sweating. They do dry fast, but so does the 50% blend with cotton.

Same here they work the best.

John

azb
05-23-2011, 14:58
If you're a Scotsman, you already know the answer.

If you're not, then I can only offer my condolences.

Az

mweinstone
05-23-2011, 15:41
hiking kilt is the bomb for men who can. i cant. i was teased as a child for such wants and know well the social outcasting i would suffer if i wore shorts i liked or did anything of my own choice. i live in a prison where you just dont walk around being yourself. its called sociaty. here, we wear a conglomorate concocktion of a cacaoughiny of cahos and all in an effort not to piss off the man. you see, if i walked around philly with a hiking kilt on, i would have to be gay. witch im not. but then my chances of getting layed would plumit the final .00000003 to .0000000002 , makeing further plumiting in this arena , impossible. im a chick repulse magnet. i dont need more power i need more shutup.

azb
05-23-2011, 17:26
hiking kilt is the bomb for men who can. i cant. i was teased as a child for such wants and know well the social outcasting i would suffer if i wore shorts i liked or did anything of my own choice. i live in a prison where you just dont walk around being yourself. its called sociaty. here, we wear a conglomorate concocktion of a cacaoughiny of cahos and all in an effort not to piss off the man. you see, if i walked around philly with a hiking kilt on, i would have to be gay. witch im not. but then my chances of getting layed would plumit the final .00000003 to .0000000002 , makeing further plumiting in this arena , impossible. im a chick repulse magnet. i dont need more power i need more shutup.

It must be you. When I wear my kilt, I get all kinds of attention from women. The Scottish accent apparently turns them on as well.

I'm not sure why anyone would think someone wearing a kilt would be gay. I've never noticed that kilt wearers were more or less likely to be gay than someone wearing dockers or cargo shorts.

And if you can get past all that crap, they are amazingly comfy.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.

Az

LDog
05-23-2011, 18:00
hiking kilt is the bomb for men who can. i cant. i was teased as a child for such wants and know well the social outcasting i would suffer if i wore shorts i liked or did anything of my own choice. i live in a prison where you just dont walk around being yourself. its called sociaty.

We eat meat and potatahs so the neighbors won't hate us ...

tolkien
05-24-2011, 20:49
Try the Elkommando kilt. Very sturdy and solid. Well reviewed. Seems much better for movement than shorts.

Andrew Sam
06-03-2011, 02:19
Basketball shorts are my favorite. I wear basketball shorts for all occasions except for parties and other important events. Basketball shorts with a skinny are my comfortable outfit ever!