PDA

View Full Version : How do I find hikers to shuttle to Trail Days?

peasantgirl
05-11-2011, 01:40
I have been reading these forums since last fall, learning a lot and being inspired by the trail community and culture. I would like to give back a little, and I thought I would maybe find a hiker in Atkins, or surrounding area, to shuttle to Trail Days. I'll be coming down I-81 from the north early Sat. morning, and leaving Damascus Sat. night. I'll have two passengers, so I'll only have room for one more rider. And I'm a little worried that the pack won't fit in the trunk. 99% sure it will, but then again, never tried it, sooo...

My questions is, how do I go about it? Should I just cruise the Exxon at exit 54, and look for someone with their thumb out? Will it really be that easy? Also, if I take them to Damascus, will they expect me to shuttle them back to Atkins? I can do that no problem, as long as they are willing to go back that same night. I'm just unclear on what the etiquette is...

OTOH, it's 35 miles with a complete stranger in the car, covered in hiker funk! :eek: Am I going to regret this? :) Hmmm, maybe I'll just pass out free rice crispies or something on the street instead....

4shot
05-11-2011, 09:19
My questions is, how do I go about it? Should I just cruise the Exxon at exit 54, and look for someone with their thumb out? Will it really be that easy? Also, if I take them to Damascus, will they expect me to shuttle them back to Atkins? I can do that no problem, as long as they are willing to go back that same night. I'm just unclear on what the etiquette is...

OTOH, it's 35 miles with a complete stranger in the car, covered in hiker funk! :eek: Am I going to regret this? :) Hmmm, maybe I'll just pass out free rice crispies or something on the street instead....

you should have no trouble finding a hiker there I would imagine. As a matter of fact, that's how I managed to get back to TD last year.As far as the etiquette...you won't find may hikers that will 'expect" anything of you and will be grateful for whatever you can do. If there is mutual interest in a ride back, set a meeting time at whereever the car is parked with the understanding that you, the driver, have no obligation to wait any past that agreed upon time. No telling what those hikers can get into!

IF you are not used to hiker funk, you can practice by putting a dead possum in your back seat (preferrably a road-kill version that's 3-6 days old depending upon recent temperatures in your area). Normally I'd recommend doing this for 5 miles or so the first few days, then working up to the 35 miles per day but you are waiting rather late in your training so you may have to start with 15 - 20. Rub some Vick's vapor rub on your upper lip, it helps to mask the odor. And God bless for even entertaining the thought of shuttling a hiker!;)

d.o.c
05-11-2011, 09:35
drive into trail towns near 81 hikers arent hard to spot..

Bare Bear
05-11-2011, 16:10
A/C on fullblast and windows down.

peasantgirl
05-12-2011, 09:53
you should have no trouble finding a hiker there I would imagine. As a matter of fact, that's how I managed to get back to TD last year.As far as the etiquette...you won't find may hikers that will 'expect" anything of you and will be grateful for whatever you can do. If there is mutual interest in a ride back, set a meeting time at whereever the car is parked with the understanding that you, the driver, have no obligation to wait any past that agreed upon time. No telling what those hikers can get into!

IF you are not used to hiker funk, you can practice by putting a dead possum in your back seat (preferrably a road-kill version that's 3-6 days old depending upon recent temperatures in your area). Normally I'd recommend doing this for 5 miles or so the first few days, then working up to the 35 miles per day but you are waiting rather late in your training so you may have to start with 15 - 20. Rub some Vick's vapor rub on your upper lip, it helps to mask the odor. And God bless for even entertaining the thought of shuttling a hiker!;)

No dead possum here, but I saw a dead snake on the back road to Martinsville. Will that do? :)

Thanks for the advice!

Check on the A/C and windows down!

4shot
05-12-2011, 21:11
No dead possum here, but I saw a dead snake on the back road to Martinsville. Will that do? :)

Thanks for the advice!

Check on the A/C and windows down!

late for training.at this point, open windows, AC set to max AND a fresh dead skunk on the floorboard will only improve your chances of NOT smelling the hiker in the back to about 80%. Best wishes on your brave endeavor!!!

peasantgirl
05-12-2011, 23:30
late for training.at this point, open windows, AC set to max AND a fresh dead skunk on the floorboard will only improve your chances of NOT smelling the hiker in the back to about 80%. Best wishes on your brave endeavor!!!

Y'all stop trying to scare me! If it gets too horrible, maybe I'll put the hiker in the trunk and the pack in the back seat? :D

OutdoorsMan
05-12-2011, 23:33
Funny thread!

4shot
05-13-2011, 23:15
Y'all stop trying to scare me! If it gets too horrible, maybe I'll put the hiker in the trunk and the pack in the back seat? :D

our thoughts and prayers as you embark on this brave quest of yours. Please report back so that we know that you did your first hiker shuttle, sans training, without asphyxiating! may the force be with you.

hunter121
05-14-2011, 07:53
good luck!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpghttp://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/j3iR/wind/jeromssummer_flickr_photos_848.gif

peasantgirl
05-15-2011, 11:00
Well, bummer, I wasn't actually able to find anyone at the Exxon. But I had a blast at Trail Days!! :banana

Why is that banana so annoying?

4shot
05-15-2011, 18:33
peasantgirl, I'm glad you had a great time and that you are safe. They say the trail provides and it did so again....you had not trained sufficiently for the task at hand. you have plenty of time to be ready for next year's event...there's been a lot of injuries on and around the trail by people pushing themselves too hard or too fast.take care, you are still a trail angel imo for your effort.:)