PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiker use of non-reserved campsites

trsix
05-11-2011, 10:19
After reviewing the trail map of the GSMNP, it seems one could take alternate trails and camp in non-reservation required camp sites most nights in order to avoid the shelters. Aside from the fact that this would technically not be hiking the AT, are there any restrictions that would prevent a thru hiker from doing this? If my permit said "thru hiker", would I still be allowed to camp at any non-reservation site?

brian039
05-11-2011, 10:45
No, anybody can do it. It's just WAY downhill to the campsites which means if you want to get back to the AT it's WAY uphill!

jbwood5
05-11-2011, 11:00
I guess technically you are supposed to list the sites you plan to stay at on your backcountry permit. However, it is extremely unlikely that they care where you stay, as long as it is an unreserved site.

They have to understand that folks may have issues along the way and plans can change on the fly.

The permit asks for site numbers that you plan to use and that may be requested in case they need to find you in an emergency.

Pedaling Fool
05-11-2011, 15:13
After reviewing the trail map of the GSMNP, it seems one could take alternate trails and camp in non-reservation required camp sites most nights in order to avoid the shelters. Aside from the fact that this would technically not be hiking the AT, are there any restrictions that would prevent a thru hiker from doing this? If my permit said "thru hiker", would I still be allowed to camp at any non-reservation site?
Seems to me I remember reading in one of the guidelines that if you register as a "thru-hiker" than you must stick to the appalachian trail.

skooch
05-11-2011, 15:43
I hope never to use a shelter. I will register as a thru in GSMNP and try to estimate which shelters I may use but I will do my best not to use them. Sorry but if I feel uncomfortable in anyway I will tent and deal with it if I get caught. I may have to play the "girl card." Wouldn't you if you were me traveling alone?

Pedaling Fool
05-11-2011, 15:48
I hope never to use a shelter. I will register as a thru in GSMNP and try to estimate which shelters I may use but I will do my best not to use them. Sorry but if I feel uncomfortable in anyway I will tent and deal with it if I get caught. I may have to play the "girl card." Wouldn't you if you were me traveling alone?
I never had a problem setting up my tent through GSMNP, because most people don't want to bother with the tent so I always graciously gave up a spot, even when there was room in the shelter.

BTW, I never attempted to list the location I'd be at every night, just wrote in big letters in that area "THRU-HIKER".

max patch
05-11-2011, 16:31
A thru-hiker permit requires you to stay overnite on the AT. An overnite side trip off of the AT (not including a town trip for resupply) voids your permit.

So, no, you can't do it.

skooch
05-11-2011, 16:41
I never had a problem setting up my tent through GSMNP, because most people don't want to bother with the tent so I always graciously gave up a spot, even when there was room in the shelter.

BTW, I never attempted to list the location I'd be at every night, just wrote in big letters in that area "THRU-HIKER".

Thanks John. That makes me feel better. :sunBTW I always enjoy your posts. I've learned a lot and can't STAND waiting to hit the trail. 20days and counting. Staying at work is getting harder by the hour:(

Blissful
05-11-2011, 17:45
I may have to play the "girl card." Wouldn't you if you were me traveling alone?

actually, no. I've slept in shelters and right next to guys. No issues at all. Also you don't have to list shelters on your permit as a thru.

general
05-11-2011, 17:53
you can take any route through the park that you want, and you don't have to register as a thru-hiker either. put down what ever you need to on the permit, and make appropriate reservations if you need to. or, like you said, pick a route that only involves non-reservation campsites. no rules on which way you can go through the park.

max patch
05-11-2011, 18:15
you can take any route through the park that you want

Not if you are hiking as a "thru-hiker" as defined by the GSMNP which is what the OP asked about. Gotta sleep at (or by) the shelters that are on the AT.

brian039
05-11-2011, 20:04
Not if you are hiking as a "thru-hiker" as defined by the GSMNP which is what the OP asked about. Gotta sleep at (or by) the shelters that are on the AT.

Didn't know that, that sux. Guess he can just not put thru-hiker on his reservation and be fine camping in non-reservation sites?

skooch
05-11-2011, 20:52
actually, no. I've slept in shelters and right next to guys. No issues at all. Also you don't have to list shelters on your permit as a thru.

Not that I couldn't I just really prefer my tent at the end of the day. I love men but if I had the option I would not sleep next to their stinky, farty, belchy, snoring selves. I have one of those I'm leaving at home.:p And fighting mice? no thanks.

Ox97GaMe
05-11-2011, 23:31
hey now... we dont all belch. I think that is a Florida thing. :)

WingedMonkey
05-12-2011, 00:00
Not that I couldn't I just really prefer my tent at the end of the day. I love men but if I had the option I would not sleep next to their stinky, farty, belchy, snoring selves. I have one of those I'm leaving at home.:p And fighting mice? no thanks.

Wait till you meet the females.
;)

skooch
05-12-2011, 09:08
I imagine I have evolved into a nasty, dirty hiker myself. A lady in Clearwater jumped into her car and refused to leave a parking lot until I hiked on last weekend. I was only asking where to pick up the trail!

TIDE-HSV
05-14-2011, 09:52
I imagine I have evolved into a nasty, dirty hiker myself. A lady in Clearwater jumped into her car and refused to leave a parking lot until I hiked on last weekend. I was only asking where to pick up the trail!
I've had the occasion to hike through the Clingman's Dome crowds a number of times. You certainly get some strange looks, and, sometimes, pretty dumb questions. At first, the questions start with "Do you really," and, if they get their nerve up, "Why..." Last year we were emerging from the GSMNP after several days of hiking in the rain when were passed by some dayhikers, going in. I commented to my wife that they really smelled nice - no cologne or perfume, just that freshly-scrubbed smell. I don't want to know what they commented about us...

Digger'02
05-18-2011, 09:51
yall guys, are we talking about the BMT? while the BMT through the park is much more up and down, there have been folks from time to time who have wondered why not provide 'offical alternate' routes to provide a kind of 'choose your own adventure' oppurtunity for those who want to stay on the white blazes (or at least use the data books).

I think its an interesting idea.

ednotmilkman
06-20-2011, 01:20
I'd think if you entered at Twenty Mile Ranger staion (where no ranger is on duty regularly anyway) and put BMT thru-hiker on your permit, you'd be OK at any of the many campsites on that route and at the only shelter - Laurel Gap.

If you did a sobo BMT hike, then you might be in a gray area as you would be just starting out?? but I bet you'd be OK still listing a reserved campsite or shelter on your permit. I don't know if there is a ranger on duty regularly or not at Big Creek.

Edwin