PDA

View Full Version : Sending winter gear home........

FORTIS
05-11-2011, 10:51
If leaving from Pearisburg, VA on May 25th would it be safe to assume I can leave the winter bag and Medium base-layers at home? I plan on packing my UL 150 base-layer top and bottom and switching out my WM versalite 10 degree bag for either a SeatoSummit Micro MC II 36 degree bag or a WM Summerelite 32 degree bag. This change alone would decrease my pack weight by a little over 2.5lbs. Thanks.

Blissful
05-11-2011, 12:46
Yep, summer gear by then.

bigcranky
05-11-2011, 13:32
Yes, though you may get some nights dipping down to freezing, for the most part it'll be lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s by then.

Blissful
05-11-2011, 14:36
Ive never seen it in the 30s here in VA after Memorial Day and lived here 22 years. Eps where he is starting. If you get a low of high 40s its cold. Now if its the Dolly Sods of West VA, prepare for everything. :)

bigcranky
05-11-2011, 15:24
True enough, I was thinking of the highlands more than central VA. We've had freezing temps in every southern state on the AT even in early June, but those tended to be at the highest elevations.

royalusa
05-11-2011, 16:25
Hi Fortis,

Glad to hear that you will be heading back to the trail soon. How'd you do on getting 35'ish pound base weight lowered? Looks like you may have found 2.5 pounds in swapping out the winter gear. How'd the rest of the lightening up of the pack go?

Good luck and enjoy the continuation of your journey!
Brakeman & Grasshopper

FORTIS
05-11-2011, 18:08
Hi Fortis,

Glad to hear that you will be heading back to the trail soon. How'd you do on getting 35'ish pound base weight lowered? Looks like you may have found 2.5 pounds in swapping out the winter gear. How'd the rest of the lightening up of the pack go?

Good luck and enjoy the continuation of your journey!
Brakeman & Grasshopper

It's going good, thanks. It looks like I should be somewhere around 36lbs with 5 days food and 2L of water. And that's with a heavy camera and a droid X!

I plan on leaving from either Pearisburg, Va or Daieville, VA and heading north. I hope you guys are doing well.