PDA

View Full Version : June 1st 1 month from HF - NB or SB?

harlem
05-11-2011, 14:48
Hello all,:banana

I will be hiking june 1st for 1 month - not sure which direction is best - regarding weather, meeting ppl, terrain...

let me know your thoughts

Bare Bear
05-11-2011, 15:40
If you are starting at HF then go NOBO. There will be plenty of thrus still then. The first few days are not bad, and you have road access if you forgot something and need a store stop. The shower at Backpackers is pretty nice as well.

harlem
05-11-2011, 16:22
I suppose i'm a tad worried that it'll be clickish which is why I considered going south - is backpackers a hostel?

singing wind
05-11-2011, 22:48
Have done both from HF starting about the same time of year.
NOBO: MD and southern PA - nice mellow trail and pretty easy resupply.
SOBO: You've got about 2 days or so of what I would call 'connector trail', including the roller coaster before reaching the northern Shenandoahs. Alternatively, there's commuter buses out of DC that can possibly get you to Linden or Front Royal. I resupplied at Bear's Den and the Shenandoah waypoints were pretty good as well, although expensive. Waynesboro is a l-o-v-e-ly place to stop and resupply.

Either way, the trail is likely to be busy - hikers in either direction and Blue Ridge Parkway travelers/tourists going south. Weather - most likely hot and muggy, but I see you're from NYC. It can be windy and cold as the dickens up in the Shenandoah ridges - so probably best to take that into consideration as well.

Hope you have a wonderful hike whichever way you decide to go.

brian039
05-12-2011, 01:29
I suppose i'm a tad worried that it'll be clickish which is why I considered going south - is backpackers a hostel?

Backpacker's Campground - It's right by a road and restaurant and has a shower.

Ugh, I'm not a fan of any of those sections but I guess if I had to choose I would say North. At least you would have a lot of cool town stops going that way. The terrain North of Harper's Ferry is the easiest on the entire trail, it starts to get really rocky in Northern PA though. South isn't hard as far as climbs and such but the trail is extremely rocky until you get into the Shennies.

I'd be curious to know why you would want to start from Harper's Ferry. Being from NYC, you aren't too far from Mass or even VT. I'd much rather start there and hike North if you're into scenery. There's lots of bus routes in those areas if transportation is an issue.

Red Hat
05-12-2011, 07:57
one month on the AT north from Harpers Ferry would be hiking PA and not too pleasant, imo... one month south on the AT would be hiking VA and very nice....

harlem
05-12-2011, 10:01
I'd be curious to know why you would want to start from Harper's Ferry. Being from NYC, you aren't too far from Mass or even VT. I'd much rather start there and hike North if you're into scenery. There's lots of bus routes in those areas if transportation is an issue.[/QUOTE]
Hey Brian, I'm in no way committed to starting at Harpers the reason I was considering it is because I would love to meet other people (looking for part social part scenic). I figured if I hike near NY I'd be mostly alone. That said I would love to see some beautiful scenery. Since you sound experienced which section in particular do you recommend for a month of hiking starting june 1st considering the social aspect? Thanks for the help.

brian039
05-12-2011, 12:33
I'd be curious to know why you would want to start from Harper's Ferry. Being from NYC, you aren't too far from Mass or even VT. I'd much rather start there and hike North if you're into scenery. There's lots of bus routes in those areas if transportation is an issue.
Hey Brian, I'm in no way committed to starting at Harpers the reason I was considering it is because I would love to meet other people (looking for part social part scenic). I figured if I hike near NY I'd be mostly alone. That said I would love to see some beautiful scenery. Since you sound experienced which section in particular do you recommend for a month of hiking starting june 1st considering the social aspect? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you would probably be in the herd if you started from HF at that time but the trail around there isn't much fun. You could start from North Adams or Dalton, Mass and I'm guessing you could probably hike 300-400 miles in a month. This would get you to approximately Gorham, NH or maybe a little North of there into Maine. You'd be hiking in Vermont early on, which isn't that tough. And making your way into the Whites and possibly Southern Maine. Just thinking about that makes me want to thru-hike again. You wouldn't be in the herd but you would run into quite a few thru-hikers. Everybody at that point, whether you start at HF or somewhere else, will be much faster than you due to trail conditioning. But you'll still meet a lot of cool folks.

harlem
05-12-2011, 13:11
Hey Brian, I'm in no way committed to starting at Harpers the reason I was considering it is because I would love to meet other people (looking for part social part scenic). I figured if I hike near NY I'd be mostly alone. That said I would love to see some beautiful scenery. Since you sound experienced which section in particular do you recommend for a month of hiking starting june 1st considering the social aspect? Thanks for the help.

Yeah, you would probably be in the herd if you started from HF at that time but the trail around there isn't much fun. You could start from North Adams or Dalton, Mass and I'm guessing you could probably hike 300-400 miles in a month. This would get you to approximately Gorham, NH or maybe a little North of there into Maine. You'd be hiking in Vermont early on, which isn't that tough. And making your way into the Whites and possibly Southern Maine. Just thinking about that makes me want to thru-hike again. You wouldn't be in the herd but you would run into quite a few thru-hikers. Everybody at that point, whether you start at HF or somewhere else, will be much faster than you due to trail conditioning. But you'll still meet a lot of cool folks.[/QUOTE]

Are you recommending that area since it's your favorite part of the trail? Curious why you chose that specific spot. Also who would I be meeting in that area at that time flipflopers? Are the shelters w/in 10 miles of one another in that area I ask since I am not in trail shape obviously and I think asking my legs to do more than 10 miles a day the first week would be a bit much. Well Brain as you can see I know relatively little - I'm hoping to air my city self out for a month and collect a few memories in the process. So meeting a few cool people and sharing a beer once a week or so would be sweet - also how far apart are the towns in that area?

I know I am asking a bunch of questions - I am just trying to put this trip together on short notice - so whatever info you and others provide me based on your own experience is super helpful - and saves me from throwing a dart at the trail map and making the mistake of choosing the wrong spot.
:eek:

brian039
05-12-2011, 16:01
Well you're asking all the right questions. The Whites and Southern Maine were my favorite sections on the trail and starting in Vermont gives you a bit of a break-in period before you start the difficult sections. The Whites and Southern Maine are tough, I won't lie. But every climb has a reward unlike some of the Southern sections where there are a lot of view-less, pointless climbs.

If you're young and in relatively good shape then I think you should be able to do 10-15 miles per day as long as you keep your pack weight below 30 lbs. At that time of year you will be running into section hikers like yourself, flip-floppers, some Southbounders once you get up closer to Maine, thru-hikers who started early, fast moving thru-hikers, and lots of tourists in the Whites.

Make sure you get a thru-hiker guide book. I recommend "The AT Guide", it will give you information on shelter locations, water, resupplies, elevation profiles, and town maps. You will have to hitch-hike to get to some of the resupplies but don't worry, everybody does it. Talk to some thru-hikers while your out there to get tips on hitching (always be smiling, don't be smoking cigs, and don't look like an axe murderer!!!)

For something you can look at right now before you get your guidebook try this link: http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php

Change trail to Appalachian Trail, change location type to shelter/campsite, and make sure you click on the link below Location Type to show distances. That should aid greatly for planning in the early stages. You'll hit a town every 3-4 days roughly and will have plenty of opportunity to share beers with people. Bring plenty of money because beer and food ain't cheap and make sure you stay in the hostels as long as your budget allows. That's where you will meet the most people and make a lot of memories. The trail is awesome!

Geo
05-12-2011, 16:19
Y
ou can cut out a huge section of Virgina in a month. HF is a great starting place. You start easy and end in a more challenging place, plus you will certainly meet people. North from HF is still nice, but harder and less interesting. Vermont to Gorham NH is difficult but you warm up in Vermont and get to the hard stuff in the Whites. Maine is even harder than the Whites, but close to the same type of hardness.

Blissful
05-12-2011, 18:36
one month on the AT north from Harpers Ferry would be hiking PA and not too pleasant, imo... one month south on the AT would be hiking VA and very nice....

I agree with this. Plus having all the NOBO thru hikers soaring by you with 20 plus mile days can get really discouraging.

I also like the mass north to NH option.

harlem
05-12-2011, 19:07
I'm really thankful all you guys took a moment to weigh in and help me figure this out. I've done a little hiking in the past and I suppose I'm what most would call an internet hiker - bought all the lightest equipment and read all the online info I could while I fantasized about leaving the city for a bit. Anyway the good news is my base weight is about 10lbs - so low weight should not be a problem. I suppose the bad news is my best workout in the last year has been to the A train two blocks away. I'm reasonably healthy just not in peak shape by any means.

Thanks Brian I'm now leaning towards heading up to Mass and hiking into the white mountains. Anyone have any idea what kind of weather I should be prepared for? Is a fleece and a rain jacket enough? Any thoughts on which is the better town to start in as far as getting there and then to the trail head - adams or dalton? Anything that I should be prepared for that I may not have thought of.

Good news brian is that I don't smoke and as far as new yorkers go I look about as dangerous as Jerry Seinfeld.

brian039
05-12-2011, 20:02
Hopefully somebody from that area can weigh in on what kind of weather to expect in the Whites that time of year and what clothing to carry. I came through in August and it was gorgeous weather the entire time, only had rain for a few hours on one of the days! I was in shorts and a t-shirt on Mt. Washington! I did have 3-season gear though just in case (20 degree bag, down jacket, rain gear, gloves, and hat).

One weird thing about hiking in the Whites is the hut system. You may be able to stay in them and eat in exchange for doing chores, ask when you get to the huts about work-for-stay (don't get there before 4:00 pm or they'll tell you to keep hiking though). Otherwise you'll have to pay a fee to stay at some of the campsites. It's possible to find "stealth" camping sites below treeline and have a place to stay for free but you really have to be looking to find them, usually unmarked side trails lead to camping spots. The only such place like that I could find was at Garfield Pond.

If you start in Dalton you'll have to climb Mt. Greylock which is a pretty tough climb to have to tackle right from the beginning, but there's a nice view on top and a restaurant! If you start from N. Adams you've got pretty easy trail all the way to the Whites, it can be muddy with lots of roots at times though.

I hiked with several New Yorkers on my thru, if you're anything like them then you're tough as nails. You'll be fine. And hitching is half the adventure!