PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Cade's Cove to Fontana Dam

Dewman
05-11-2011, 17:56
So what would be the best (i.e. fastest) way to get from Cade's Cove to Fontana Dam via car? What about Parson Branch Rd that goes west (one way) out of the Cove? It is the shortest distance but will it be longer because of terrain & road surface?

jbwood5
05-11-2011, 18:04
So what would be the best (i.e. fastest) way to get from Cade's Cove to Fontana Dam via car? What about Parson Branch Rd that goes west (one way) out of the Cove? It is the shortest distance but will it be longer because of terrain & road surface?

If that road is open, it would be the shortest route. Just be sure your vehicle is not a low clearance vehicle. Parson's road is closed quite often. Call the Park a few days before you plan to go and if there is a bad rainstorm, count on it being closed. There are 3 small driveable creek crossings when I went down there in a car several years ago.

Any route you take will be an arduous drive.

bulldog49
05-11-2011, 19:24
Parsons branch would require a 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle. I don't believe it has been open for a number of years. Best bet is take Newfound Gap road from Gatlinburg to Cherokee.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-11-2011, 19:29
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm
Supposedly open now, but I will call to make sure and check condition.
Before it was closed I drove it a Nissan Sentra.

aaronthebugbuffet
05-11-2011, 19:31
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm
Supposedly open now, but I will call to make sure and check condition.
Before it was closed I drove it a Nissan Sentra.
Typo-actually you should call, I'm not calling for you.:)

SMSP
05-11-2011, 20:59
I've read many trip reports that Parsons Branch has been traveled by typical cars and motorcycles. But check with the park office to be sure because things do change.

SMSP

cowpoke
05-11-2011, 21:16
It is a great short-cut...took it one year....knew I was in trouble when we passed a jeep rolled over in the ditch beside the road...made it safely...only lost my muffler....but volvo's are pretty hardy vehicles.

Ox97GaMe
05-11-2011, 23:19
Parsons Branch road is currently closed due to the EF4 Tornado that hit in that area 2 weeks ago. It will require high clearance vehicle.

Also be sure that you verify the route you are hiking. The park has close 27 miles of trail at the Western end of Cades Cove because they are impassable. This means a lot of trees down, or in some cases the trail slid down the mountain with the trees. You dont want to get over there and have to identify an alternate route wiht no extra time available.

Easiest way to Get to Fontana will be to come back into Townsend and get on the Smoky Mtn Parkway. Take that south to US129 (The Dragon). Take that over to 28 into Fontana. It is about 2 hrs driving time from the campground/visitor's center.

If you are parking near Parsons Branch with a vehicle, then you can also get out of the cove by cutting across Hyatt Lane to Rich Mtn road back into Townsend. It may be faster, depending on what day/time you are in the Cove.

Have a great hike.

Ox97GaMe
05-11-2011, 23:21
clarification..... IF the road is open, it will require high clearance vehicle. It is one lane, old logging road that is not well maintained. Expect areas with large mudholes and wash outs.

sliderule
05-11-2011, 23:22
Parsons branch would require a 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle.

It's possible that that would be the case on a particular day. But not every day.

Best bet is take Newfound Gap road from Gatlinburg to Cherokee.

If Cades Cove was in Gatlinburg and Fontana was in Cherokee, that would be a great idea.

4eyedbuzzard
05-12-2011, 00:04
Drove it many years ago. Short cut mileage wise. Best to have a high clearance vehicle as others suggested. Couple of creeks cross the road as I remember but they've got cement poured where they flow over it. Break down out there and it could be a long walk out and a very expensive tow.

moytoy
05-12-2011, 05:23
I've driven it a couple of times in a 1941 ford jeep and once in 1962 in a 58 ford. Actually I was in the back seat in the 58 ford. But for now with all the blow downs your best bet is the foothills pkwy from Townsend to Chilhowee and up hwy 129.

HooKooDooKu
05-13-2011, 12:45
I drove Parsons Branch in a 2002 Accord last year. No damage.

It wasn't fun, for there were several places where rivulates had erroaded some pretty good size trenches you had to be careful of. At the time I last drove it, there was only one really bad spot that was a combination of slick gravel on a steep hill with deep rivultes to negotiate.

There is no reason for a Jeep (or any road vehicle) to ever be rolled over in a ditch on Parsons Branch unless the driver isn't paying attention, the driver is trying to go too fast, or the vehical has a mechanical breakdown.

I would drive my Accord on it again, but if I have the option, I'd rather use my Jeep.

TIDE-HSV
05-13-2011, 14:24
I've actually driven it in a diesel Mercedes with six hikers packed in. (We had to break down the external frame packs.) I can't say it was fun. I've driven it in various 4x4s, and that's more enjoyable. That said, it really changes a lot, particularly with heavy rains, not to mention tornadoes...

RWBlue
05-13-2011, 18:03
The last time I was on Parson Branch Rd was several years ago. It is a great spot to see the park for those that are not healthy enough to walk the trails, but want to get away from all the people.

Dewman
05-14-2011, 09:28
Thanks for all the input! My buddy ended up taking the regular roads around to Fontana rather than risk the car. Going home was on the Tail of the Dragon...wow, what a road. You can check your own brake lights on some of those turns...

TIDE-HSV
05-14-2011, 09:33
Thanks for all the input! My buddy ended up taking the regular roads around to Fontana rather than risk the car. Going home was on the Tail of the Dragon...wow, what a road. You can check your own brake lights on some of those turns...
We used to curse 129 for making our shuttles in and out of the Cove so long and arduous. Then, I bought a little Mazda Miata and found out that there was an annual event involving driving it for fun!

aaronthebugbuffet
05-14-2011, 16:19
We used to curse 129 for making our shuttles in and out of the Cove so long and arduous. Then, I bought a little Mazda Miata and found out that there was an annual event involving driving it for fun!
I've driven that road several times. I think if I was in the backseat or in a van I would get crazy car sick.

TIDE-HSV
05-14-2011, 16:47
I've driven that road several times. I think if I was in the backseat or in a van I would get crazy car sick.

I have no way of remembering how many times I've driven that road. We had a frequent hiker companion who was infamous for her carsickness. She could take the passenger's seat up and down Parson's Branch, but, when we reached 129, she had to take over the wheel - the only way she could keep from hurling.

Back about 20 years ago I lost a good friend to that road. He was a Cherokee and a USFS employee with a great future. He drifted off to sleep at 5:30 AM, on his way to work...