PDA

View Full Version : Party Time

Mother Natures Son
05-11-2011, 18:24
I've just read a blog from a local hiker who is currently on the trail. Almost every post is about partying or drinking that goes on both on and off the trail. When did the AT get to be a party scene or is that just in the last couple years? Is it all thru the trail, or just primarily in the south?

Cool AT Breeze
05-11-2011, 18:32
Lots of partying untill Trail Days then alot of the hard core partiers get bored with Central VA and go home or run out of money and go home. But there are always a few that party it up untiil they finnish.

WingedMonkey
05-11-2011, 18:33
It usually slows down after they hitch to trail days. Either they don't go back and finish or they are too broke to party as much.

buff_jeff
05-11-2011, 19:11
I experienced essentially zero party scene anywhere on the AT, but that might be because I never hiked in the "herd." I'd say the first several hundred miles between March and late April are the worst for that type of stuff, but honestly, it probably all depends on whether or not you're looking for it or not.

Tipi Walter
05-11-2011, 19:51
It's funny, they're called "partiers" when they are in their 20's---what fun, the freedom of the open trail coupled with a good dose of alcohol---but when they are in their 50's and 60's they are called drunk hobos.

strollingalong
05-11-2011, 20:31
whinging about people having a good laugh. If they don't piss on your fire or leave rubbish let people do what the hell they want.

fiddlehead
05-11-2011, 20:51
whinging about people having a good laugh. If they don't piss on your fire or leave rubbish let people do what the hell they want.

I agree. If you want a wilderness experience, go out west.
People having fun is what they most likely went out there for.
You won't find many parties on the CDT.

Blissful
05-11-2011, 20:55
No partying in NE - they are too exhausted.

That is why one should go SOBO

d.o.c
05-11-2011, 21:06
i remember a rather large party in vermont it was known as the trail magic extravaganza put on by cptn ahab and rainman.. anywho 60 some hikers showd up from as far south as conn.... dnt under estimate the party.. aslong as there is a reasonway to get down people will always get down..

Erin
05-11-2011, 21:35
Really not a problem unless you make it your problem.
We sectioned with the April herd of young kids. And other later hikers. We followed the progress. The kids stoned in the firetower at 11 am did not make it. The folks we tented with, most of them did. We could tell, and we were only sectioners. But they all had a good time, whatever their choice of hiking.

weary
05-11-2011, 23:50
Who said people couldn't do what they want? BTW, what is "whinging," and how do you pronounce it?

Toolshed
05-12-2011, 04:46
Yeah sure..... :rolleyes: Those are the only 2 things I don't want drunk a$$hole$ to do around me when I am hiking.
That's why you need to avoid shelters and towns, or else you would run into people like walkin', who probably has not even set foot on the trail yet....:cool:

Lone Wolf
05-12-2011, 06:10

except when they do it in a town at a hostel that forbids alcohol. very disrespectful and selfish

d.o.c
05-12-2011, 08:13
ID say a quick medicate from that western Medication does nothing to hold one back from completeing a hike.. comes down to if they want to walk 2000+ miles or not same with booze.... it appears there are alot of people on here who have pre concluded thoughts about somthing they have never obviously dealt with just wittnessd thru other people... i dont belive the party has anything to do with peoples hikes bein completed or not.. mine was finishd after i went to phish and the deads last shows.. thought we would have a party and call it planet earth.... like previously stated its not a problem unless you make your problem.

soulrebel
05-12-2011, 08:43
It's everywhere, all the time...

Fog Horn
05-12-2011, 09:26
Link to Blog?

rambunny
05-12-2011, 09:27
As you get further north the party quiets way down-lack of funds and the realization of what you are doing sets in. Take out every other shelter and it would bust up the party. Many hit here (about 500 miles) and have never set up their tent yet.

peasantgirl
05-12-2011, 10:24
Who said people couldn't do what they want? BTW, what is "whinging," and how do you pronounce it?

Weary, the poster who said that is likely Australian or British. "Whinging" is what we call whining. It's pronounced WIN-jing.

And, Walkin, who said the OP was whining anyway? Looked to me like he was just surprised by the blog and was asking a question. And all the responses before your posts were to-the-point replies, there was no judging or complaining. Sheesh...

Methinks you have a guilty conscience...

Furlough
05-12-2011, 10:36

whinge (hwhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifnj, whttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifnj)
intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

Furlough
05-12-2011, 10:38
Weary, the poster who said that is likely Australian or British. "Whinging" is what we call whining. It's pronounced WIN-jing.

And, Walkin, who said the OP was whining anyway? Looked to me like he was just surprised by the blog and was asking a question. And all the responses before your posts were to-the-point replies, there was no judging or complaining. Sheesh...

Methinks you have a guilty conscience...

Apologies for double tapping your post Peasantgirl, I had not read all the way down before I responded.

88BlueGT
05-12-2011, 12:41
If someone doesn't want to see people drinking and having fun there's plenty of ways to avoid it. One includes staying home.

I'm not condoning getting plastered and hiking every day but it comes i with trip. If I'm hiking 100+ miles a week in the woods, sweaty, dirty and hungry.. I'd want a few beers when I got off trail too.

Everyone says HYOH... until its different than their hike, then its a problem.

Tipi Walter
05-12-2011, 14:05
If someone doesn't want to see people drinking and having fun there's plenty of ways to avoid it. One includes staying home.

I'm not condoning getting plastered and hiking every day but it comes i with trip. If I'm hiking 100+ miles a week in the woods, sweaty, dirty and hungry.. I'd want a few beers when I got off trail too.

Everyone says HYOH... until its different than their hike, then its a problem.

While your point is well taken, many backpackers come into the woods just to howl in a drunken stupor state around a bonfire, and show no respect for others camping nearby. These types are definitely Hike My Damn Hike aficionados because they apparently have little respect for others within earshot. If I don't want to hear an all-night yelling match between several drunks, I should stay home?

88BlueGT
05-12-2011, 15:05
While your point is well taken, many backpackers come into the woods just to howl in a drunken stupor state around a bonfire, and show no respect for others camping nearby. These types are definitely Hike My Damn Hike aficionados because they apparently have little respect for others within earshot. If I don't want to hear an all-night yelling match between several drunks, I should stay home?

No, I completely agree with you. I wasn't really referring to hikers on the trail, drinking, late at night. Guess I was thinking more along the lines of being in town drinking and maybe getting back on the trail during the day with a buzz or something or that sort. I would be furious if there were people being obnoxious in the middle of the night while I was trying to sleep. I don't think anyone can blame you for that.

10-K
05-12-2011, 15:39
I've been intoxicated more than most people probably and I simply cannot imagine hiking drunk. At least the way I drank..

Stoned? Forget it....

Where do people even get the motivation to get up and go when they're loaded?

Chuch
05-12-2011, 15:52
10-K, I am with you on that man. I'd be worthless....

Tilly
05-12-2011, 16:33
That's why you need to avoid shelters and towns, or else you would run into people like walkin', who probably has not even set foot on the trail yet....:cool:

I avoided neither towns nor shelters, and I was hiking north, and I didn't really notice--or was not bothered by--masses of people partying. I guess I just didn't pay attention to that sort of thing.

I did avoid several hotels, though.

Actually, parties and such help clear out the trail a bit. I remember hiking thorough New Jersey, and around Dalton, MA, where there were parties at hostels going on--camped alone every night, and only saw thru's hustling through their slacks back to the hostel. Good for me.

That party in Manchester Ctr Vt in 09 was a bit bad, though. Every hiker from NY up had to get up there--eventually people were really bunched up--but at a point, again, everyone jetted in to town and the trail cleared out again.

I had a very nice time in Manchester Ctr because I simply didn't go to the party. No need to avoid town if you don't want to. I never missed an opportunity to go to Friendly's.

Just because you're reading about a lot of partying in someone's journal does not mean that it's the entire trail. That's just one person's perspective.

WingedMonkey
05-12-2011, 16:48
I don't recall getting fall down drunk in a town, but always could enjoy a pitcher of beer with a pizza. Didn't hike drunk or stumble around camp but did enjoy a cocktail (if you can call vodka and Kool Aid a cocktail) while reading maps and planning the next day. An herbal attitude adjustment made for some great views but not a party.
And the last trail angel I met gave me some beer to carry and open on Katahdin all by myself.
It is possible to do things in moderation and not without manners or interrupting the peace of others.

OnlyJohn
05-13-2011, 15:54

I think it was meant to say whining. Sadly even spell check cannot help here.

Datto
05-13-2011, 21:33
I didn't see that much of a party scene on my AT northbound thru-hike. Well yeah, some people imbibed a bit but they were still fun to be around. You should have seen some of them in the talent show and the dance contest at Trail Days. If I could just do that it would be the cat's meow. I hadn't let lose enough by that point.

The closest thing I came to decadence was that dinner and chocolate soda Mrs. Gorp bought Rainbow and I in, I think it was North Manchester. Thanks Cin -- yeah I still remember that from my thru-hike.

Datto

Datto
05-13-2011, 21:51
By the way men, you may be in for a big shock if you hike with a woman on a portion or all of your AT thru-hike.

After that dinner from Mrs. Gorp in North Manchester, Rainbow and I were intending to hike another 4-6 miles or so into into the evening. I was in the most premo physical shape of my life and I could not keep up with Rainbow that night.

A girl no less if you can believe it!

I had to ask her to slow down so I could catch my breath. Embarrassing.

Then I face planted into a log and Rainbow had to come back to see if I was okay. Ha. Feefs teeth are a bif benf but I'm okay I fink.

Man alive could Rainbow hike me into the ground. I think her pack was more than five pounds heavier than mine too.

I sure could make miles hiking with her though. Ha. Along about then making miles was starting to become pretty dang important on my thru-hike.

Datto

peasantgirl
05-14-2011, 00:58
Apologies for double tapping your post Peasantgirl, I had not read all the way down before I responded.

No apology necessary, it's all good!

Bare Bear
05-17-2011, 16:08
To party or not to party. If you do, do so responsibly, not in the shelter when others are trying to sleep, don't do your dope around others, etc.

Dogwood
05-17-2011, 16:28
You take from hiking, backpacking, or any trail the experiences you want! You also contribute to hiking, backpacking, or any trail the experiences you desire!; don't forget about that second part!

chief
05-17-2011, 19:31
By the way men, you may be in for a big shock if you hike with a woman on a portion or all of your AT thru-hike.

After that dinner from Mrs. Gorp in North Manchester, Rainbow and I were intending to hike another 4-6 miles or so into into the evening. I was in the most premo physical shape of my life and I could not keep up with Rainbow that night.

A girl no less if you can believe it!

I had to ask her to slow down so I could catch my breath. Embarrassing.

Then I face planted into a log and Rainbow had to come back to see if I was okay. Ha. Feefs teeth are a bif benf but I'm okay I fink.

Man alive could Rainbow hike me into the ground. I think her pack was more than five pounds heavier than mine too.

I sure could make miles hiking with her though. Ha. Along about then making miles was starting to become pretty dang important on my thru-hike.

Datto
As I remember, Rainbow started out in primo physical shape (something about marathons I think). She was kicking butt and taking names in Georgia. Can only imagine she was a hiking machine by New England.

Datto
05-18-2011, 10:49
Just got an email from Rainbow a few days ago. She's doing great up in Canada.

Datto

tiptoe
05-18-2011, 12:47
In my section hikes so far, I've noticed that you have the kind of trail experience you seek. Party animals find party animals, quiet folk find quiet folk, and so on. Granted, I haven't yet hiked the southern end of the trail in early spring.

Pony
05-18-2011, 12:50
It's everywhere, all the time...

I've compiled a list of states that I partied in.

Georgia
North Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
West Virginia
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Massachussetts
New Hampshire
Maine

And I was by no means hanging with the party crowd. However, there is a difference between drinking some beer, maybe even getting tipsy, and being a drunk a-hole.

One of my best memories was sipping on whisky and wine around a campfire, singing songs and hanging out with friends north of stratton.

The bottom line is that if you don't want to party you don't have to. But if you like to party, opportunities are bountiful.

chief
05-18-2011, 12:54
Just got an email from Rainbow a few days ago. She's doing great up in Canada.

Datto
Good to hear.

Datto
05-18-2011, 20:48
I've compiled a list of states that I partied in.

Georgia
North Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
West Virginia
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Massachussetts
New Hampshire
Maine

What happened to New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Indiana?

Datto