PDA

View Full Version : Starlight 5 Pack

PKH
01-27-2005, 08:05
I'm looking for some critical input on Six Moon Designs Starlight 5 pack. It looks very nice but I havn't seen many user reports. My current pack is an older model ULA P2 which has been very successful for me. Just looking around at this point and any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

PKH

JoeHiker
01-27-2005, 13:28
There are some test reports on backpackgeartest.org. Note that they are all for the previous models and many of the suggestions that the testers made have been incorporated into the current '05 model. The manufacturer has added a note as a supplement to the reviews to point this out.

Also there is a review at backpackinglight.com.

I've been shopping around for a pack and I'm really leaning towards the Starlight '05 as well so I'd be interested in hearing other people's impressions as well.

chris
01-27-2005, 13:48
I played around a little with Ron's new pack a couple of months ago and liked it. I haven't taken it out for spin as I don't own one, but it certainly had the kinds of features that I liked. It has dual aluminum stays, and this will drastically increase the comfort and load hauling ability. I tested a pack recently (not from Ron) that incorporated these and found that I could push the weight to around 40-44 lbs before it got uncomfortable (2 hour legs). I maxed out with around 55 lbs, and this was too much. Still, this is very good for a pack that weighed 2 lbs, 5 oz. I'm sure Ron's pack will perform similarly. Ron takes his business very seriously, so if you have problems I am sure he would address them rapidly and most satisfactorily.

tlbj6142
01-27-2005, 14:44
I owned a moonlite (starlite's little brother) for a couple of weeks before I returned it. Most of the issues I had with the moonlite have been resolved, except for the torso length issue. If you have a shorter torso (mine is 18.5") the pack may not be all that comfortable.

While Ron lists the pack as supporting an 18" torso, I fail to see how that is possible given the strap attachment design. The min distance between the shoulderstrap attachment point and the hipbelt maybe 18", but that would put the shoulderstrap attachment point parallel to the tops of your shoulders. Whereas I like the shoulderstraps to wrap around the tops of my shoulders an inch or two. As such, I need a 16.5" distance between the center of the hipbelt and the shoulderstrap attachment point. Which is not possible on starlite.

Now if you like to use your shoulderstaps more like load lifters, then this won't be an issue for those with a shorter torso. Of course, that would make the pack's load lifters a bit reduntant.

That issue aside, everything else about the moonlite rocked. And has been improved on the Starlite. I do wonder how much weight saving could be had if a silnylon version were available.

chris
01-27-2005, 16:12
I'm pretty sure that the Starlite is all Spectra, which means it should be rather durable. Silnylon just isn't going to be that durable along the sewn seams, and it doesn't have much puncture resistance (different from tear resistance). I have doubts as to one being able to hold up for, say, a 5 month AT or PCT hike, let alone a month on the GDT, where the bushwhacking would really shread it. I shredded a shoe during one memorable, 6 K bushwhack.

By my seat-of-the-pants measurement, though, one could probably save 5 to 8 oz. from the packweight, and probably make the pack cheaper by $20.

ronmoak
01-27-2005, 17:01
>> By my seat-of-the-pants measurement, though, one could probably save 5 to 8 oz. from the packweight, and probably make the pack cheaper by $20. <<

Actually the weight savings between Spectra and Silicone Nylon is not all that significant. Consider that a pack this size takes a little more than a half yard of Spectra or Silicone Nylon to construct. Comparing Spectra (at 4.5 oz. per sq yard) to Silicone Nylon at (1.3 to 1.5 oz. per sq. yard) the resulting difference in pack weight comes in at about 1.5 to 2 ounces at best. Most of the real pack weight is taken up in other items like webbing, harness, etc.

The price difference is true since Spectra is 2X of Silicone Nylon.

As to sizeing of the Starlite. We've got a new pack in the works for this April. That will weight the same as the Starlite. It stores the pad internally, thus allowing a greater range of sizing.

Ron

PKH
01-27-2005, 17:30
Is this to be an improved or upgraded Starlite, as it were, or an entirely new pack. From what I have read so far, it is the sleeve for the pad that gives the Starlight its superior load carrying capability, and weight transfer to the hips. I never really liked the idea of rolling a pad inside my packbag. Tried this with my P2 as an experiment and was not satisfied with the result - too much sag and the weight transfer to the hips suffered. Do you propose an internal sleeve for the new pack? As it is the Starlite 05 is looking pretty good to me; the reviews I have found are excellent. But if there is a major redesign in the works maybe I should hold off for a while.

This could be like buying Tarptents. You think you're delighted with the model you have and then a whole new and improved version comes out six months later.

Cheers,

PKH

ronmoak
01-27-2005, 17:58
PKH,

The pack is a new addition to our pack line and not a replacement for the Starlite.

Like the Starlite it allows the use of your pad as the primary support. Or you can use the internal stays. There is an internal pad pocket which works like the Starlite to perform the weight transfer. And from my test it seems to perform equally well.

Since the pad is internal, it doesn't allow as easy access to the pad when the pack is loaded.

Since the stays run closer to your back, it works better for people who use hammocks and don't carry thick pads, and for shorter torso lengths.

Hope this helps.

Ron

tlbj6142
01-27-2005, 18:06

Seems as though ron just answered all my questions while I was posting them.

PKH
01-27-2005, 19:14
Thanks Ron - yeah that cleared things up. You may have a customer yet.

Cheers,

PKH