PDA

View Full Version : Are we scarry to locals? Any rudeness encountered?

skooch
05-12-2011, 09:15
An incident last weekend in Clearwater makes me wonder. I wanted to ask a woman in a parking lot where to pick up the Pinellas Trail while traveling thru. She Jumped into her car and locked herself in and did not leave the parking lot until I hiked on. I barely appoached. Is this common? She acted like I had 3 heads.:confused:

d.o.c
05-12-2011, 09:21
people are stupid and are scared of what they dont understand.. your lucky she didnt call the law ha.... but it can happen ive seen it myself a few times not to the point she jumpd in the car and lockd the door but kinda same situation she was totaly freakd out tho.

Jonnycat
05-12-2011, 09:27
Maybe she was too jaded from transients accosting her and asking for money like they do in the parking lots around here.

ShelterLeopard
05-12-2011, 09:28
I've encountered mixed reactions from people. Especially hitching. One pharmaceutical sales rep driving a new (and very clean car) stopped for us when I would have assumed she'd pass us by. Usually I've gotten good reactions.

In the "bad" times it's been more "she's wasting her time let us scorn her" than fear of me. (Ha. Me. 5'5", blonde, usually braided hair. Scary.)

I've never had someone lock her or himself in their car because of me- you must be really scary skooch! :D

Jonnycat
05-12-2011, 09:45
One pharmaceutical sales rep driving a new (and very clean car) stopped for us when I would have assumed she'd pass us by.

Last year I got a ride from a commercial driver while hitching along a mountain road early in the morning, that was the absolute LAST person I would have expected to stop (except for the nice mom who picked me up with her baby in the back seat, but I was younger then).

He was a friendly chap who was on his daily trucking route, and also a biker who went on several vet benefit rides each year.

sbhikes
05-12-2011, 09:54
I wrote in my journal how, as I was hiking down Bishop Pass in the High Sierra, I met a lot of people. Near the top of the pass I met some nice backpackers and they shared their whole itinerary with me and asked me where I had been hiking. We had a nice conversation. Then I continued on and met more people and we also talked a little. As I got closer to the bottom, I met people just starting their trips. They would just say hello. No stopping to talk. Then even closer to the bottom I met day hikers and they wouldn't say hello. Then when I got to the parking lot, people would flee from me like I was the devil. It was like wow, these are the same people who were out on the trail. It's so different out on the trail, even the same people are totally different.

And I'm a blond with long braids short woman, too.

garlic08
05-12-2011, 09:56
No, I've never had an experience like that one while hiking. I have encountered way too many rude motorists while cycle touring, though.

Blue Jay
05-12-2011, 09:56
People have been conditioned to see terrorists everywhere.

Namaste
05-12-2011, 09:57
I've never encountered any rudeness in all my years here and there. I believe in Karma and I've helped out many hikers along the way with rides never looking for money or anything else in exchange so I hope my luck continues.

Jonnycat raises a good point about begging transients in parking lots.....

FlyPaper
05-12-2011, 10:34
An incident last weekend in Clearwater makes me wonder. I wanted to ask a woman in a parking lot where to pick up the Pinellas Trail while traveling thru. She Jumped into her car and locked herself in and did not leave the parking lot until I hiked on. I barely appoached. Is this common? She acted like I had 3 heads.:confused:

I've done over 500 miles of the AT. If anyone was scared of me, it has never come to my attention (at least not while on the AT). As an adult male, I do try to be careful not to give off bad vibes, especially toward
women.

In general, men are more likely to cause fear that women.

Someone alone is more likely to cause fear than someone a group.

There are probably a host of other visual cues that affect peoples perceptions. But in general, someone with a backpack near a trail doesn't often make people very nervous.

Amanita
05-12-2011, 10:44
I haven't had any negative reactions yet, but I'm sure it will happen eventually.

So far I've had an overwhelmingly positive reaction from both dayhikers and town people.

tiptoe
05-12-2011, 10:53
I've had no problems chatting with locals in towns near the trail. Lots of smiles, friendly hellos, helpful info, etc. But after one hike, I took the train back home. There was no one to meet me, so I decided to hoof it to my house. NOBODY smiled; I guess the people thought I was a vagrant.

skooch
05-12-2011, 10:58
Yes it must have been the parking lot. The very same day I Yogied a cold beer from some guys using the trail as a shortcut. I was laying in some grass just taking a rest. In this case I was the one approached. They were knocking back a few as they walked and were curious enough to ask why I was there. In that case they were the questionable ones.

brian039
05-12-2011, 11:55
I guess on the AT most people know you're a hiker, I never ran into anything but kindness. Sure, I've been passed up on hitches before, but the people who pass me up usually smile and wave. Your appearance and being tactful when approaching people is key.

mad4scrapping
05-12-2011, 11:59
It was probably just the woman herself. Who knows what she might have experienced in the past. I hike a lot on the AT in Virginia, and I find the people in parking lots to be curious. Some keep a respectful distance, but I imagine that is because of the smell . . .

bigcranky
05-12-2011, 13:11
This was central Florida? Might have thought you were a Rainbow person. We hiked a nice section of the FT a couple of years ago and many of the locals thought that about us. The animosity was pretty stunning.

We ended up giving a ride to an actual Rainbow person after the hike. Turned out to be a pretty nice guy. But no one would give him a ride (except hiker trash.)

WingedMonkey
05-12-2011, 13:47
The Pinellas Trail is a paved urban trail, folks who don't use it have no idea it is even there or where it goes. It gets the usual variety of city folks from transients to athletes. Hard to compare to any part of the AT...Well maybe to Bear Mountain. I had a guy there bitch I was in his way as him as his kid where racing their radio control cars on a paved part of the trail.
:p

skooch
05-12-2011, 13:55
I got out there Friday and did 17miles fully loaded to break in new boots. I was the only one not riding a bicycle or jogging (except for the guys with the beer.) Can't wait to get on the AT where asking a question can lead to a new friend :)

Spokes
05-12-2011, 14:06
Kent, CT won the "Rudest Town on the AT Award" when I passed through in 2009.

Nean
05-12-2011, 14:53

Kent has long been known as one of the least friendly trail towns for a long time but I don't think many hikers realize they can bring that on with how they act.:eek:
Its like Texans in Colorado, the ugly American in Europe. Kent wouldn't miss a beat if the trail went away. ;)

Everytime I've been there walking (4x from 89-09) or the few times I've stopped in driving- I've had a good time and met nice people.:-?

Back to the subject- people fear the unknown -some more than others. People with $ or folks who watch too much TV tend to fear more. And you can never know what a person may be going through to cause them to have a bad day. It's life...:)

Spokes
05-12-2011, 15:33
Kent has long been known as one of the least friendly trail towns for a long time but I don't think many hikers realize they can bring that on with how they act.:eek:

Agreed but not the case with me. Heck, I even swept up the laundromat while doing my clothes. The owner stopped in, saw me, and didn't even say thank you or offer a smile in return. Instead he rudely informed me that I wasn't allowed to hang around much after my clothes were done drying.

sherrill
05-12-2011, 15:38
"Are we scarry to locals?"

I have a few, mostly along the knees. If I'm wearing shorts you can most definitely see them.

All of the others are hidden by what's left of my hair. Explains my oddball nature.

:p

Nean
05-12-2011, 15:47
Agreed but not the case with me. Heck, I even swept up the laundromat while doing my clothes. The owner stopped in, saw me, and didn't even say thank you or offer a smile in return. Instead he rudely informed me that I wasn't allowed to hang around much after my clothes were done drying.

I doesn't have to be you. :eek:
If a bunch of hikers trashed the place the day before -you inherit the wrath.:(
Too many hikers don't consider how their behavior affects the hikers behind them.:mad:

Spokes
05-12-2011, 16:35
I doesn't have to be you. :eek:
If a bunch of hikers trashed the place the day before -you inherit the wrath.:(
Too many hikers don't consider how their behavior affects the hikers behind them.:mad:

That response makes absolutely no sense nor does the laundromat owner's behavior in the context of my actions (patronize the place and even sweep up the trash inside). It's akin to a police officer spraying mace in the face of everyone he comes in contact with- bogus.

10-K
05-12-2011, 16:44
That response makes absolutely no sense nor does the laundromat owner's behavior in the context of my actions (patronize the place and even sweep up the trash inside). It's akin to a police officer spraying mace in the face of everyone he comes in contact with- bogus.

I see what he's saying though... It's like every time I see a homeless person I have an automatic reaction that I then have to mentally override.

Some people have so little self-awareness they never get past the initial reaction.

Sounds like psychobabble but well.. you know...

p.s. if you figure out how to make human behavior make sense, please let me know. :)

-SEEKER-
05-12-2011, 16:46

I had a mixed experience in Kent. Went to the outfitter to get my mail drop and they were so rude that I quit shopping there and just left. First I was told I could pay $5.00 at the fitness club to take a shower, then after doing my laundry and dealing with the rich town kids who were washing their horse blankets there and taking up all the room, I was told I had to have a membership to take a shower.

The pastor at the church gave me permission to set my tent up on the lawn since lodging was way too expensive. He also let me use the restroom at one of the church buildings. His kindness was rewarded with a donation, while I chose not to patronize the local restaurants and ate my trail food.

Spokes
05-12-2011, 16:50
I understand 10-K but it's still antithetical in the context of my behavior.

Spokes
05-12-2011, 16:52
I had a mixed experience in Kent. Went to the outfitter to get my mail drop and they were so rude that I quit shopping there and just left. First I was told I could pay $5.00 at the fitness club to take a shower, then after doing my laundry and dealing with the rich town kids who were washing their horse blankets there and taking up all the room, I was told I had to have a membership to take a shower.

The pastor at the church gave me permission to set my tent up on the lawn since lodging was way too expensive. He also let me use the restroom at one of the church buildings. His kindness was rewarded with a donation, while I chose not to patronize the local restaurants and ate my trail food.

...... Right on!

brian039
05-12-2011, 17:12
Oh yeah, I forgot about Kent. I thought nannies were only something you saw in movies and reality shows before I got to Kent. I think there were something like 6 or 7 art galleries in that little town and the outfitter was basically a high end dept store. Some teenager in a brand new big 4X4 pick-up swerved at me as I was road-walking into town. The people at the library def don't want you there. On a brighter note, I got rock-star treatment from some old ladies at the grocery store and the pastor at one of the churches said I could stay there. The AYCE place at the end of town was the hiker-friendly restaurant, I didn't dare step foot in any of the other restaurants.

Nean
05-12-2011, 17:30

It makes every bit of sense as your comment did. You awarded the whole town rude because one person wasn't as friendly as you thought he should be.

Maybe he recently lost a dear friend - a pet -a family member.
Maybe he thought you were cleaning up a mess you made.
Maybe he had a bad lunch and wasn't feeling well.
Maybe after years of dealing w/ idiot hikers he's not impressed with us.

Now lets talk bogus... comparing a laundymat guy who doesn't smile or run over to pat you on the head to a police officer who maces everyone- in the face- that he comes in contact with... beyond bogus.:rolleyes:

skinewmexico
05-12-2011, 17:31
Its like Texans in Colorado,

That's really cold. And from I understand, Californians are the new Texans in Colorado.

Spokes
05-12-2011, 17:46
It makes every bit of sense as your comment did. You awarded the whole town rude because one person wasn't as friendly as you thought he should be.

Yeah, sorry, but the "other hikers make it bad for everyone else position" just doesn't hold water in this instance.

Hmmm, I didn't recount my experience at the "outfitter"- bad attitudes plus folks who didn't know what "AquaMira" was. Too funny. Or, my visit to the high end Muffin Shop along the main drag. Again, rude service, no eye contact, and no conversation. Shopping for stale bread in a Communist Co-Op would have been more jovial. They gladly snatched my money though.....

I could go on but there seems to be many other hikers who've had similar experiences in this God forsaken town.

'nuff said.

Nean
05-12-2011, 17:51
That's really cold. And from I understand, Californians are the new Texans in Colorado.

Not in my part of Colorado- although californians have a bad rap just about anywhere. I'm from Texas but I cringe when I see a bunch of self entitled cause we got $ yahoos or drivers who drive like they are in a big city instead of a small town. Of course there are probably more nice Texans than rude ones but they don't stand out- they blend in. Hopefully we don't get dubbed rudest town in Co. because some local didn't smile and wave when they used their blinker.:rolleyes:

Nean
05-12-2011, 18:08
Hmmm, sorry I didn't recount my experience at the "outfitter"- bad attitudes plus folks who didn't know what "AquaMira" was. Too funny. Or, my visit to the high end Muffin Shop along the main drag. Again, rude service, no eye contact, and no conversation. Shopping for stale bread in a Communist Co-Op would have been more jovial. They gladly snatched my money though.....

I could go on but there seems to be many other hikers who've had similar experiences in this God forsaken town.

'nuff said.

Maybe it just your charming personality.:eek:
Maybe they aren't in business to please hard to please hikers who make up 1% of their business. :rolleyes:
Maybe you were nice, but stank to high heaven- I don't know.:p

What I do know is if every hiker encounter they had was pleasant they would be more understanding and happy to see us.;)

Its human nature that bad behavior from a few will effect the attitudes about the whole. They are just like you in that regard.:D

Blissful
05-12-2011, 18:18
Kent was fine when I went through - had a businessman there offer the use of his Internet etc. Another guy was telling about the best places to eat and where to camp. Only the postmaster was mean.

I actually found Salisbury fairly standoffish. But the PO ladies were nice. :)

LoneRidgeRunner
05-12-2011, 18:19
I've been harassed much more when when doing exercise walks with my back pack beside the road than on or near a trail... I've been treated the rudest in Texas (near El Paso) while hitch hiking many years ago....and the nicest I've ever been treated was also in Texas....on that same trip...In Nogalas, which is nothing more at that time than a truck stop at the only fork in the road for miles right on the Mexican border. Most of the people were either Mexicans or Mexican Americans and I was treated like family by all of those people there. I spent a night at that truck stop in a back room, the truck stop owners fed me very good food and would NOT allow me to pay for it even though I had some money. I was given money (never asked) by 2 of the customers there (and some really good smoke...not tobacco) The owners then arranged for a ride for me to San Antonio 140 miles away in the morning, fixed me a great breakfast (no charge even when I offered to pay) after waking me up to tall me I had a ride leaving in 45 minutes. And, believe me, I ain't pretty..lol..
So, that goes to show that it's not a "state" issue..but it's the individual people involved who are either rude or nice...

10-K
05-12-2011, 18:44
I actually found Salisbury fairly standoffish. But the PO ladies were nice. :)

I really enjoyed Salisbury, especially the pastries at the coffee shop. :)

But, Salisbury is the only time I've been embarrassed to be a hiker around other hikers - a thru hiker *went off* on the postal worker because they couldn't answer a question about a post office further north.

I mean he went off - almost yelling, etc. Finally the guys he was with reeled him in and they left.

Spokes
05-12-2011, 19:01
Maybe they aren't in business to please hard to please hikers who make up 1% of their business. ...

There's a whole slew of other businesses that would just crave that 1% you mentioned in this economy.

The world's greatest salesman Joe Girard once said that, on average, everyone knows about 250 people. When that person has a bad consumer experience it translates out to that group of friends or aquatints and, over time, can gave a stunning negative impact on a businesses customer base. Sorta like stories of awful town attitudes and experiences expressed in forums like these.

1% bad customer service times how many thru- hikers, over how many years? It becomes quite clear why Kent, CT has a stigma.

ShelterLeopard
05-12-2011, 19:50
I've had no problems chatting with locals in towns near the trail. Lots of smiles, friendly hellos, helpful info, etc. But after one hike, I took the train back home. There was no one to meet me, so I decided to hoof it to my house. NOBODY smiled; I guess the people thought I was a vagrant.

Me too! Some of the people around here will avert their eyes if they see any hitchhikers or potential transients. (Well, not everyone). I suppose that's because the people around here just aren't used to seeing hikers though- it's a norm near the AT. Usually.

ShelterLeopard
05-12-2011, 19:57
Shopping for stale bread in a Communist Co-Op would have been more jovial.

Well who DOESN'T love shopping for bread in a Communist Co-Op?

Beachcomber
05-12-2011, 20:02
Well who DOESN'T love shopping for bread in a Communist Co-Op?
Couldn't resist ... in the city market of Uzhgorod, Ukraine:

http://www.capefearwedding.com/europe2008/images/DSCF0505.jpg

A good analogy to shopping for trail food: bread, sausage (Russian-style salami), cheese and apples to eat on the train.

ShelterLeopard
05-12-2011, 20:17
And here's an example of New Capitalist Russia:
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/206023/206023,1249381154,2/stock-photo-grocery-store-young-woman-with-shopping-cart-and-choosing-bread-34726327.jpg

4shot
05-12-2011, 20:45
Kent was a wonderful town (my experience) and I'm glad I went there and neroed. I had heard the reputation before getting there and was pleasantly surprised. The outfitter was not geared towards the thru-hiking community but they were probably set up to succeed in their particualr market and nobody can fault them for that.it's not alway about the thru-hikers anyway no matter what they say!:)

TIDE-HSV
05-14-2011, 13:04
"Neroed" sounds like fun, given his rep... :D

max patch
05-14-2011, 13:08
I wouldn't associate the Pineallas Trail at all with hikers. Its a paved "rails to trails" type trail that goes thru the business district between St Pete and Clearwater. I'd associate it with bikers and inline skaters.

woodstock64
05-14-2011, 19:45
I'm not surprised by the rudeness. After having spent 15 years following the Grateful Dead, I've experienced my fair share of rudeness. Many people truely are afraid of others who don't fit their idea of "normal". I'll never forget a series of Dead shows at the Spectum in Philly in the mid '80's. Just so happened that a WWF wrestling event took place during the daytime of the 2nd show, also at the Spectrum. I'll never forget how the parents leaving the WWF event with their kids shielded their kids from all us peaceful Deadheads, after taking those same kids to watch a bunch of guys beat the s#%t out of each other. Very strange experience indeed.

jima59
05-14-2011, 20:03
I'm really jaded about being approached by strangers, no matter where I am, and it doesnt matter how they are dressed. The worst thing you can say to me is "Can I ask you something'because 99% of the time they want something for nothing.... thats how life is now, it's easier to ask for something than earn or work for it. That being said, from my personal experiences if you impose on me I'll treat you the same. Many years ago I got told by a motel owner in Erwin, we don't rent to "your kind" coming off the trail on a section hike. Never will go back into
Erwin if possible again.

The_Truth
05-14-2011, 21:38
There's a whole slew of other businesses that would just crave that 1% you mentioned in this economy.

The world's greatest salesman Joe Girard once said that, on average, everyone knows about 250 people. When that person has a bad consumer experience it translates out to that group of friends or aquatints and, over time, can gave a stunning negative impact on a businesses customer base. Sorta like stories of awful town attitudes and experiences expressed in forums like these.

1% bad customer service times how many thru- hikers, over how many years? It becomes quite clear why Kent, CT has a stigma.

if you dont already know about it you may find the dunbar number of interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar's_number

GeneralLee10
05-14-2011, 21:43

If you are in FL I can se why you got this treatment. Not many people down here know about hiking or hiking trails. When they see you they see a bum/trash whatever you would like to call it. When I got back from my hike last year I was looked at like I was a bum. I am sure my long beard did not help matters much. It was 7" long before I shaved it off for welding school. I am now growing it back since I can't find a job.

Dogwood
05-14-2011, 22:27
FEAR! It can grip heart and mind. When operating solely out of the physical senses and unrenewed mind this is what can happen! Operate out of faith and love in the spirit with a renewed mind and it transcends fear!

skooch
05-15-2011, 08:56
FEAR! It can grip heart and mind. When operating solely out of the physical senses and unrenewed mind this is what can happen! Operate out of faith and love in the spirit with a renewed mind and it transcends fear!
Ahh. An Eckart Tolle fan? Me too

moytoy
05-15-2011, 09:12

Oh so true Dogwood. I do a lot of road walks here in FL. I am offered money all the time. A couple of months ago I was finishing up a trip in the Ocala National Forest and had walked back into Ocala. It was about 9:00 at night and I was coming to a stop sign where I found a SUV stopped at the sign with the lights on and engine running. I couldn't see the driver so I went behind the car, not wanting to walk in front of a running vehicle. Anyway there was a lady out of the car getting something out of her back seat and I scared the hebejeebees out of her. I assured her I meant her no harm and said I was sorry for scaring her and walked on. A couple of minutes later I noticed a car behind me keeping pace with me so I turned around to look. It was the lady I had scared so badly. She rolled up beside me and held out a $20. I had a hard time convincing her I didn't need any money. She was so convinced that I wouldn't take the money because I was to proud to take a handout. The perception that an old guy with a backpack must be down on his luck is common here in Fl.

BradMT
05-15-2011, 09:34

Well, yeah... also likely the wealthiest.

Connecticut, generally speaking, is about the rudest state in America...

LoneRidgeRunner
05-15-2011, 09:39
Well, yeah... also likely the wealthiest.

Connecticut, generally speaking, is about the rudest state in America...

Not speaking about the entire state of Arizona....Wilcox, Arizona had the rudest, most vile, obnoxious, loudest mouthed people I ever ran across..as I said..not blaming the entire state..just Wilcox....

tuswm
05-15-2011, 09:49
I have been told that a shave and a hair cut once in a blue moon can help a lot. it has in my experiences.

Lemni Skate
05-15-2011, 09:51
Don't worry kids, the thru-hikers are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Beachcomber
05-15-2011, 10:06
The perception that an old guy with a backpack must be down on his luck is common here in Fl.

It's kinda funny the looks I get, wearing my backpack, when I do the 5-mile round-trip through the back streets of my suburban subdivision to my local supermarket. (Lugging 35-40 pounds of groceries home once a week or so is a good way to stay in condition). Guess my good neighbors aren't accustomed to seeing vagrants like myself anywhere but downtown or on the highway off-ramps.

ShelterLeopard
05-15-2011, 11:54
I do that too Beachcomber- but not with groceries. I load up my pack to prepare for a serious hike to get used to hauling the weight. People either think I'm lost or frightening. But man, I must be the cleanest vagrant in the whole world when I hike the five miles near my home...

Beachcomber
05-15-2011, 12:12
People either think I'm lost or frightening.

Not lost, but definitely frightening, especially if I've been lazy about shaving for a couple of days. (That sexy stubble look doesn't work beyond a certain age; I just look like I need a drink.)

mcskinney
05-15-2011, 12:52

Maybe she had been previously raped.

mcskinney
05-15-2011, 13:10

Californians and Texans make up a majority of transplants and in that regard are hated equally. Its the Texans behavior on the ski slopes and their winter driving skills that makes them more hated then the Californians in the long run.

My sister lives in Texas, it's not too bad there. I don't see why y'all have to move here.

Colorado sucks.... Nothing to see here.

WingedMonkey
05-15-2011, 14:10
Maybe she had been previously raped.

And she thought this WOMAN was going to rape her?
:-?

Dogwood
05-15-2011, 16:09
Let's face it! Most Americans live out of a house, apartment, condo, trailer, etc. Not out of a tent, hammock, tarp, etc. Most Americans get from place to place by automobile, plane, train or bus. Not by walking and hitch hiking. Most Americans have sizable wardrobes and get dressed in clean clothes each day where their clothing and "accessories" are stored neatly in closets and dressers, having much more than one or two sets of clothing and certainly not storing everything they have for sustaining life jammed into a backpack. Most American women have drawers full of face paint and American men shave regularly or have trimmed beards and mustaches and both take frequent showers. Backpackers have streams and lakes and take an ocassional shower at a hostel, hotel, etc. Avoiding make-up and shaving and engaging in infrequent sometimes impromptu bathing is not the norm. Most Americans watch excessive amounts of TV, own microwave ovens, many are addicted to a sedentary electronic filled life, have kitchens packed with all manner of cooking gear, and grab their food from a fridge and pantry. Hikers don't have TVs(usually!) or microwaves. Hikers have sunrises, sunsets, lakes, rivers, trees, and wilderness, wild life, and maybe a cell ph, camera, and/or mp3 player. Hikers usually have a small cookset, maybe one spork and a pot, and shuffle through a food sack for what limited amount of food they have on hand. Most Americans are strongly(totally?)infleunced on who and what to believe by mainstream media outlets, politicians, organized religionists, big business, and family and friends, who have themsleves been influenced by the same. Hikers, when out hiking long enough, and if they will take the sole focus off themselves, learn from the wind, weather, plants and trees, water, sky, stars, wild animals, etc

Backpackers are not normal in our society! They don't look, smell, or act normal! Backpackers are mutants! Realize/expect, if you are going to backpack, you will not always be perceived as "normal." You will not fit into a typical lifestyle. That scares the hell out of some non-backpacking people! Sometimes fear comes out in the form of rudeness or skepticism.

BUT, no matter how abnormal you may be perceived by the non-backpacking world realize their is a campsite somewhere with some dirty smelly unshaven hikers that will welcome you into their tribe!

I think it every hiker's opportunity that they can share with non-hikers that there exists different lifestyles, perspectives, ways of thought, and options to succesful living!

Amanita
05-15-2011, 22:59
Oh yeah, I forgot about Kent. I thought nannies were only something you saw in movies and reality shows before I got to Kent. I think there were something like 6 or 7 art galleries in that little town and the outfitter was basically a high end dept store. Some teenager in a brand new big 4X4 pick-up swerved at me as I was road-walking into town. The people at the library def don't want you there. On a brighter note, I got rock-star treatment from some old ladies at the grocery store and the pastor at one of the churches said I could stay there. The AYCE place at the end of town was the hiker-friendly restaurant, I didn't dare step foot in any of the other restaurants.

Definitely. I hit the library in Kent yesterday and the disdain wafting off the librarian stank WAY worse than I did. I think there's a boarding school I passed on the way into town. Nothing like swarms of rich high schoolers with daddy's credit card swarming around town on a saturday afternoon.

Old Hiker
05-16-2011, 21:53
It's kinda funny the looks I get, wearing my backpack, when I do the 5-mile round-trip through the back streets of my suburban subdivision to my local supermarket. (Lugging 35-40 pounds of groceries home once a week or so is a good way to stay in condition). Guess my good neighbors aren't accustomed to seeing vagrants like myself anywhere but downtown or on the highway off-ramps.

I do that too Beachcomber- but not with groceries. I load up my pack to prepare for a serious hike to get used to hauling the weight. People either think I'm lost or frightening. But man, I must be the cleanest vagrant in the whole world when I hike the five miles near my home...

Oh, yes. Had to explain several times to several security people who patrol my neighborhood who I was, homeowner, in training, etc. etc. I'm NOT complaining - what's what our HOA pays them for. Now, I just get a wave and a "how far today?" from them.

Wanna REALLY freak the neighbors who don't know you out? As you hike by, ask if there are any empty, foreclosed homes nearby!

LoneRidgeRunner
05-17-2011, 00:01
"I've been to a town........Dale"...Jeremiah Johnson...He wouldn't have liked Kent, CN either

Bare Bear
05-17-2011, 15:49
Yeah I meet mean rude people all the time in Clearwater, usually from the NE USA.

skooch
05-17-2011, 15:57
I'm going with "she is tired of being approached by panhandlers.) Years ago I saw a 35ish, dirty, pack wearing man walking alone thru downtown St Pete. I thought he was creepy. Probably just a regular guy on a long walk. He may have appreciated a little kindness but my mind was closed at the time.

Pony
05-18-2011, 14:18
Never had a problem in trail towns. Further off the trail is a different story. Spent a couple of days in Portland after my hike waiting on a plane, and most thought I was just homeless, including the police and other homeless people. Most people were nice to me, but one jerk yelled out of his car window for me to get a job instead of a backpack.

Pony
05-18-2011, 14:43
I was warned about the laundromat, so I put my clothes in and sat out back and out of sight devouring three turkey subs, half a bag of cheetos and a two liter of coke. No problems there. Didn't feel unwelcome at the library and two different locals stopped me to see if I needed help finding anything in town. Stopped by the "outfitters" which had turned their shoe section into an ice cream parlor, and they were very nice in directing me down the street to a shoe store, even though I didn't buy anything. The shoe store, which had a very limited selection, recognized that I was a hiker and gave me a 10% discount on new shoes.

I was prepared to get in and out of Kent due to what I had heard about the town, but instead spent a good six or more hours without one negative experience. I've been traeted much worse on many more occasions in my home town, than I was anywhere on the trail.

Beachcomber
05-18-2011, 14:46
As to whether trail denizens frighten, offend or antagonize nearby townsfolk, this thread seems pertinent:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72881

Spokes
05-18-2011, 15:16
.... Most people were nice to me, but one jerk yelled out of his car window for me to get a job instead of a backpack.

Had to chuckle. Reminded me of my solo bicycle trip from Yorktown, VA to Astoria, OR when some guy in Oregon yelled at me to buy a car instead of a bicycle.

Funny thinking I had peddled my bicycle farther than any trip he probably ever took in his car.

Nean
05-18-2011, 16:11
I was warned about the laundromat, so I put my clothes in and sat out back and out of sight devouring three turkey subs, half a bag of cheetos and a two liter of coke. No problems there. Didn't feel unwelcome at the library and two different locals stopped me to see if I needed help finding anything in town. Stopped by the "outfitters" which had turned their shoe section into an ice cream parlor, and they were very nice in directing me down the street to a shoe store, even though I didn't buy anything. The shoe store, which had a very limited selection, recognized that I was a hiker and gave me a 10% discount on new shoes.

I was prepared to get in and out of Kent due to what I had heard about the town, but instead spent a good six or more hours without one negative experience. I've been traeted much worse on many more occasions in my home town, than I was anywhere on the trail.

RIGHT ON!!!! to some love:sun
don't be hatin...:(

ever notice how some folks just attract bad energy?:-?

I've had less than friendly encounters in my life- some just can't be avoided :eek:

But more often than not I've had good luck where others may have not- like the huts.:)

often times what I've seen is that the people with the bad luck expect first- respect second.:(

The first step is knowing the difference...:D

LIhikers
05-18-2011, 22:29
I wrote in my journal how, as I was hiking down Bishop Pass in the High Sierra, I met a lot of people. Near the top of the pass I met some nice backpackers and they shared their whole itinerary with me and asked me where I had been hiking. We had a nice conversation. Then I continued on and met more people and we also talked a little. As I got closer to the bottom, I met people just starting their trips. They would just say hello. No stopping to talk. Then even closer to the bottom I met day hikers and they wouldn't say hello. Then when I got to the parking lot, people would flee from me like I was the devil. It was like wow, these are the same people who were out on the trail. It's so different out on the trail, even the same people are totally different.

And I'm a blond with long braids short woman, too.

Maybe , as backpackers, it's not how we look but how we smell :eek:

weary
05-18-2011, 23:15
I got out there Friday and did 17miles fully loaded to break in new boots. I was the only one not riding a bicycle or jogging (except for the guys with the beer.) Can't wait to get on the AT where asking a question can lead to a new friend :)
I once asked a guy in a Virginia town how best to get back to the trail. He responded, "Don't you have anything better to do with your life?"

weary
05-18-2011, 23:23
I'm not surprised by the rudeness. After having spent 15 years following the Grateful Dead, I've experienced my fair share of rudeness. Many people truely are afraid of others who don't fit their idea of "normal". I'll never forget a series of Dead shows at the Spectum in Philly in the mid '80's. Just so happened that a WWF wrestling event took place during the daytime of the 2nd show, also at the Spectrum. I'll never forget how the parents leaving the WWF event with their kids shielded their kids from all us peaceful Deadheads, after taking those same kids to watch a bunch of guys beat the s#%t out of each other. Very strange experience indeed.
Don't you have anything better to do with your life?

Nean
05-19-2011, 01:36
I once asked a guy in a Virginia town how best to get back to the trail. He responded, "Don't you have anything better to do with your life?"

or to put it another way, What kind of life is that?:confused: (you Fn moron):rolleyes:

If it wasn't for these folks I might not realize how lucky I was though;):)

Datto
05-19-2011, 16:58
Some of the truly nicest people I've met in my life were on the AT and the PCT. A few were comedians too. Hiking down the mountain into one of the towns in Pennsylvania, I stopped along the AT going through that town to chat with a guy sitting on his porch. I eventually asked him, "Can you tell me where the library is at?" His response was, "No one in this town can read." He and I both cracked up laughing.

Datto