PDA

View Full Version : Paying for Stuff

hikerjohnd
01-27-2005, 11:38
I'm kind of curious about how to pay for stuff... Do I need travelers checks, cash, debit card. credit card? When I first planned a thru-hike check cards had not even been thought of and cash was recommended...What do the vets have to say?

Lone Wolf
01-27-2005, 11:48
Cash, debit/credit card is all you need nowadays. Travelers checks are a thing of the past. There are ATM's everywhere now. Except Monson, Me.

baseballswthrt
01-27-2005, 12:41
We always use an ATM card and my husband carries about $5 in case there isn't a machine and I always carry $1 in change in case I find a Pepsi machine!

Footslogger
01-27-2005, 12:52
If you've got all the money for your hike already in the bank then I'd say go with the Debit Card. No one has to worry about paying your bills since the expense hits your checking account immediately.

I thru-hiked in 2003 with limited cash (never more than $100 at any given time) and a Debit Card. Cash came in handy for little things and the occasional store which did not accept plastic (very rare).

Another nice thing about the Debit Card, as opposed to the Credit Card, is the "Cash Advance" option. Whenever my cash supply ran low and I was shopping at the grocery store or mailing a package at a post office I would ask for a cash advance. Worked like a charm.

'Slogger
AT 2003

rocket04
01-27-2005, 13:11
I used cash, credit card, and traveler's check on my thru-hike and would say that traveler's checks are unnecessary. Another thing you can keep in mind is that you can get cash back on credit card purchases at Post Offices. All you have to do is buy anything (like a stamp) and you should be able to do that.

grrickar
01-27-2005, 13:28
I carried my license, about $60 in cash and a check card for my two week section hike. It worked well, and I did not run out of money. I figured the cash would be for small stores that didn't take credit/check cards (which are few and far between now), and I used the check card wherever I could. I would carry some cash just in case you run into some small country store/hostel that doesn't take plastic. I'm not positive, but we stayed at Standing Bear Farm and I think he only took cash, but there was a gas station he drove us to that I seem to recall had an ATM. I just carried some cash for peace of mind.

Smooth03
01-27-2005, 14:03
To avoid ATM and Bank surcharges if you have debit card you can get cash back from any Post Office. I used a Post Office almost everytime I went in to town and would by a few stamps and get 40 bucks out. Its too painful to pay 2.50 in surcharges everytime you go to an ATM machine.

Jaybird
01-27-2005, 14:04
i've always used a combination of CASH & Credit Card(s).

an interesting thing happened to me in Hot Springs, NC. in Spring 2004.
My hike partner, "Jigsaw", & i were ready to ck in @ the local motel & i pulled out CASH....the manager said...."have you gotta check?"
i told him yes, but its outta state (TN)...he said:..." i prefer it over cash...the thieves around here are less likely to steal if its a CHECK!"

MadAussieInLondon
01-27-2005, 14:05
always have about 10 or 20 in cash on you, not all places in the south take cards. most every town has an ATM, so just have a debit card with you.

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2005, 16:52
All good advice so far, tho I'd add the following:

1. Always have at least $100.00 in cash, and not just five or ten bucks; I
have been present on several occasions where hikers arrived at the only
ATM within miles, and it was broken, or the store that featured it was
unexpectedly closed; or the machine was out of money (this happpens a
lot more than you'd think in small towns); or for some reason the hiker's
card got eaten and retained by the machine. So never take for granted
that you'll always be able to count on your credit or debit card to get you
money; sometimes, you can't, so you'd better have some cash on hand
as a back-up at all times. Another reason to always have ready cash is
that there are still some small stores that don't take credit cards. And
lastly, if you carry larger ammounts of cash, be discreet about this, i.e.
don't flash it around, and keep an eye on your wallet in stores, hostels,
restaurants, motel rooms, etc.

2. Make sure you have good photo I.D. with you as there will undoubtedly
be times when you're asked for it, such as in banks or most Post Offices;
also, sometimes when you're using a credit or debit card.

3. In your address book, keep your bank contact info (Phone number,
contcat person, etc.) where you can access it in case your ATM card is
eaten or lost. Likewise, keep a record of your credit card numbers in
case you need to replace or cancel lost or stolen cards; if you're one of
those folks who packs half a dozen or more credit cards, you might want
to cut this back to just a couple to decrease the chances of problems
with loss or theft. And if you do plan to bring traveller's checks, make
sure you have a record of their numbes that you DON'T keep in your
wallet with the actual checks; likewise, keep a back-up list of the check
numbers at home. This will make it much easier to replace lost, damaged,
or stolen checks. Lastly, if you use Traveller's checks, make them all
twenties as many folks won't accept or won't be able to give change for
larger denominations.

4. Lastly, always have your wallet and I.D. ON YOUR PERSON when you're
hitchhiking, so that on the extremely remote chance you become
separated from your pack for any reason, you'll have access to cash,
credit, your phone card, etc. Be aware that fanny packs and "personal"
bags, such as the ziplocks that many people use as wallets are among
the most frequently lost/forgotten items in cars, hostels, shelters,
restaurants, outfitter stores, etc. ONLY take your wallet out when you
need something from it and get in the habit of putting it away as soon as
you are done with your purchase, phone call, etc.

Lilred
01-27-2005, 17:51
All good advice so far, tho I'd add the following:

1. Always have at least $100.00 in cash, and not just five or ten bucks; I
have been present on several occasions where hikers arrived at the only
ATM within miles, and it was broken, or the store that featured it was
unexpectedly closed; or the machine was out of money (this happpens a
lot more than you'd think in small towns); or for some reason the hiker's
card got eaten and retained by the machine. So never take for granted
that you'll always be able to count on your credit or debit card to get you
money; sometimes, you can't, so you'd better have some cash on hand
as a back-up at all times. Another reason to always have ready cash is
that there are still some small stores that don't take credit cards. And
lastly, if you carry larger ammounts of cash, be discreet about this, i.e.
don't flash it around, and keep an eye on your wallet in stores, hostels,
restaurants, motel rooms, etc.

2. Make sure you have good photo I.D. with you as there will undoubtedly
be times when you're asked for it, such as in banks or most Post Offices;
also, sometimes when you're using a credit or debit card.

3. In your address book, keep your bank contact info (Phone number,
contcat person, etc.) where you can access it in case your ATM card is
eaten or lost. Likewise, keep a record of your credit card numbers in
case you need to replace or cancel lost or stolen cards; if you're one of
those folks who packs half a dozen or more credit cards, you might want
to cut this back to just a couple to decrease the chances of problems
with loss or theft. And if you do plan to bring traveller's checks, make
sure you have a record of their numbes that you DON'T keep in your
wallet with the actual checks; likewise, keep a back-up list of the check
numbers at home. This will make it much easier to replace lost, damaged,
or stolen checks. Lastly, if you use Traveller's checks, make them all
twenties as many folks won't accept or won't be able to give change for
larger denominations.

4. Lastly, always have your wallet and I.D. ON YOUR PERSON when you're
hitchhiking, so that on the extremely remote chance you become
separated from your pack for any reason, you'll have access to cash,
credit, your phone card, etc. Be aware that fanny packs and "personal"
bags, such as the ziplocks that many people use as wallets are among
the most frequently lost/forgotten items in cars, hostels, shelters,
restaurants, outfitter stores, etc. ONLY take your wallet out when you
need something from it and get in the habit of putting it away as soon as
you are done with your purchase, phone call, etc.

Excellent advice, thank-you.

The Solemates
01-27-2005, 17:55
$20 cash, 4-8 quarters for laundry, snacks, etc. and a check card.

rocket04
01-27-2005, 17:57
Excellent advice, thank-you. Yep, Jack is in the "good advice" business. :D

jackiebolen
01-28-2005, 17:59
I'm not from the USA so as to avoid the horrendous service charges on ATM and credit cards I just brought $3000 worth of traveller's cheques and a bit of cash. If I needed more cash I would go somewhere like Wal-Mart or a grocery store, buy something and get change. Worked out good.

MileMonster
01-28-2005, 20:05
I never had a problem with the debit card. I usually carried $50-100 cash, too. Also nice to have a little change and some crisp $1 bills for machines.

ocourse
01-28-2005, 21:17
I do use a debit card regularly, but if I was on the trail and couldn't watch my activity statement closely I would use a credit card instead. Here's why; when you use a debit card you have no dispute rights. If there is a fraudulent or inaccurate charge you must pay it and you have few rights. Ever accidentally been charged twice for a single item? The money is paid instantly. If someone steals or guesses a PIN they will wipe out your entire account. Then checks will bounce and with today's credit system, you will look bad really fast. If you have "protected" your account with overdraft protection, they can not only clean out your checking account but your savings account as well. On the other hand, if you use a credit card you can sucessfully dispute charges you haven't authorized. There is often a very reasonable limit of any liability. Another benefit - if you bought gear (sleeping bag, boots, etc.) some cards will quarantee the purchase. If the product is defective and you have trouble getting a refund, you usually have rights through the card company. You can even earn money with some credit cards. Gas to get back home ;]

Peaks
01-29-2005, 10:36
To avoid ATM and Bank surcharges if you have debit card you can get cash back from any Post Office. I used a Post Office almost everytime I went in to town and would by a few stamps and get 40 bucks out. Its too painful to pay 2.50 in surcharges everytime you go to an ATM machine.

I tried that, and they would only give me cash equal to my purchases. So, 2 stamps, 74 cents, and another 74 cents in cash. Doesn't go very far.

Slimer
01-30-2005, 15:19
I carried a drivers license, ATM card, and I always made sure I had 80-90 bucks cash (cash always works). I had no problems at all.

Tweety
04-16-2005, 09:41
I used a debit card the entire way. It is true though that there are places that do not have ATMs. Another way to get cash is when you're at the grocery store/Walmart etc. for resupply ask for "cash back" at the end of your transacation and you'll save yourelf the fee charged when using an "off" brand of ATM as well as an extra trip to the ATM. It worked great for me.

I'm kind of curious about how to pay for stuff... Do I need travelers checks, cash, debit card. credit card? When I first planned a thru-hike check cards had not even been thought of and cash was recommended...What do the vets have to say?

Panzer1
04-17-2005, 00:49
You could just take out several hunderd dollars at a time, that way the $2.50 charge would work out to a very small percentage. Also, you would not need to make many withdraws. I usually take out $400 at a time.

Panzer

Ridge
04-17-2005, 02:07
saves me cash and time. Free fuel and I don't have to go far to find any. I roughly save enough money each day to buy one beer. I usually wait and get a 12-pack heineken cans at next stop..I know how much alchohol I could buy for 14 bucks, I'm just fudging abit. I have also swapped stove time for food/beer to those whose gas burners have ran out and they need a stove to cook on. How sweet it is.

TakeABreak
04-17-2005, 05:37
I use a combination of cash & credit card, I also carry am ATM. By using the companion guide you can figure out about how much cash you need to carry between atm's. About once a month I take out an extra $100. from an atm, go into the bank get a $100. money order and send it to the address on the back of the credit card and it keeps my credit card payments current. Some people buy travelers checks in advance and put them in their maildrop, just make sure you have a credit card or atm card, in case you miss a maildrop. The traveler's checks is a good way to budget your way along the trail.

Jaybird
04-17-2005, 06:47
Like above...

i use a combo of CASH & PLASTIC...

i even take a check for those merchants that prefer a "personal check" over cash or plastic...(YES! this happened in Hot Springs!...just ask "Jigsaw") :D

see ya'll out there: APr 28-May 5 (w/"Model T (http://www.modelt.net) crew")Hot Springs to Erwin
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap Sobo to Erwin
May 8-20 Damascus to Pearisburg

TakeABreak
04-17-2005, 07:08
Jaybird,

That is a first for the A.T., I know universities and colleges now do things by credit card or checks, But I have NEVER heard of that on the A.T., before. Most of these people want cash to avoid the tax man.

Jaybird
04-17-2005, 07:42
Jaybird,

That is a first for the A.T., I know universities and colleges now do things by credit card or checks, But I have NEVER heard of that on the A.T., before. Most of these people want cash to avoid the tax man.

TakeABreak:

This particular incident was @ a motel in Hot Springs...Jigsaw & i got a room there & the manager said..."i prefer a personal check"...the story was that he'd experienced several thefts of cash @ that time & didnt take "plastic" (at that time)...it was so weird...i asked him again...."you prefer an out-of-town, personal check from a dirty, smelly hiker you've never met?"....

he said..."YES!"

i wrote him a check. (& he didnt even ask for I.D.!) :D

TakeABreak
04-17-2005, 20:59
Oh I believe you, and can understand why he did it, it is just weird, with everyone else on the A.T. wanting to deal in cash. I guess my next thru he will have to make an exception on cash or take a credit card, because I do not carry checks.

lumpy
04-18-2005, 10:09
I too use a combo of Cash, Travelers Checks and 1 Credit Card (for emergemcies only). I prefer the travelers checks (put into mail drops) as I can budget my money alot easier and then cash a couple so I always have $50 to $100 on me at all times. Since I always pay 100% of my credit balance each month, I start my hike with a zero credit balance ($5000 credit limit) and only use the credit card to replace damaged gear or new gear (I'm always a sucker for new gear) or for medical emergencies although I haven't had any yet. I suppose check cards would be a good idea though I don't have one.........yet.

Just Jeff
04-18-2005, 12:15
I also carry am ATM.
Wow...I bet that gets HEAVY!! But at least you always have enough money on hand. Out of curiosity, do you charge an access fee?

FWIW, my bank reimburses up to $10/month for other banks' ATMs charging me access fees. I also get bonus cash when I use my debit card as a credit card for purchases (meaning I sign a receipt instead of use my PIN). That's worth about $20 each month!

I carry ID, one debit and one credit card, and about $50 in cash.