PDA

View Full Version : Is there any type of cheese good on the trail

hikinfool36
05-12-2011, 13:34
I am sick of peanut butter for lunch. I do like spam on a large English muffin with Arby's sauce, but I would like some cheese with it. Most cheese are bad when they get warm. Any ideas.

on_the_GOEZ
05-12-2011, 13:37
Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar.

Fog Horn
05-12-2011, 13:45
Laughing cow cheese doesn't need to be refrigerated and does really well in the heat. Used to snack on it all the time on deployment.

Also I know its taboo to bring canned foods with you but if you are really hurting for it, kraft makes canned cheese in cans small enough for single serving. I've only ever seen them in food stores that carry European foods though, so I don't know if they'll be available to you.

sbhikes
05-12-2011, 13:46
The baby bells with the wax on them keep pretty well. It's just processed cheese though, but not too bad for processed.

Fog Horn
05-12-2011, 13:48
This is from the Laughing Cow website:

Do The Laughing Cow® Wedges need to be refrigerated?

For the best taste and texture, it is best to store wedges in the refrigerator. However, they can be safely stored in cool, dry conditions for a limited length of time, and are great for adding to lunch boxes or taking to work for a quick snack.

But I've had them not refrigerated for up to a week before

Old Hiker
05-12-2011, 13:58
The baby bells with the wax on them keep pretty well. It's just processed cheese though, but not too bad for processed.

+1 on the Baby Bels - even with all the trash with them.

hikinfool36
05-12-2011, 14:07
I didn't think of baby bell, thanks. I did get a small block of New York extra sharp cheddar but I wasn't sure if it would hold up

Rocket Jones
05-12-2011, 14:23
Any hard, sharp cheese like asiago or parmesan works too.

Transition Bob
05-12-2011, 14:25
Whole Foods has a sharp cheddar called Seaside English Cheddar (http://www.thebestlife.com/food_nutrition.php?st=&fid=123743) that has an unrefrigerated shelf life of several weeks. They also carry a salami, Sopresatta, which has an extended unrefrigerated shelf life.

Hikes in Rain
05-12-2011, 14:44
Any real cheese (not processed) will keep longer than it will take you to eat it. As mentioned, the harder sharper cheeses will keep longest, but even a soft Brie will keep until gone. Remember, cheese was invented for long term milk storage.

Nean
05-12-2011, 15:06
cut cheese is rampant on the trail :eek:

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-12-2011, 15:12
If consumed the first day or 2 pretty much any block of cheese will fair well. I didn't think about the Laughing cow... great idea. I also took a recipe from someone on this website that included grated parmesean/asiago cheese... kept just fine the third day.

Lyle
05-12-2011, 15:15
Any hard cheese will keep for days, week without danger. If it's real warm, it may get soft and oily, simply rinse and dry it, and eat. If it manages to get moldy before you eat it, simply slice the mold off and enjoy the rest.

Hikes in Rain
05-12-2011, 15:15
Laughing Cow and other sealed cheeses come with free fire starters, as well. (The wax)

Buffalo Skipper
05-12-2011, 15:21
For parmesan cheese (not necessarily what you were originally asking about), you can use Pizza Hut individual packets which are "shelf stable" until opened. I use these in several recipes with FBC.

bigcranky
05-12-2011, 15:22
A good hard cheddar will last for several days even in summer. It can get a little oily, but it's still edible.

harryfred
05-12-2011, 16:43
Any real cheese (not processed) will keep longer than it will take you to eat it. As mentioned, the harder sharper cheeses will keep longest, but even a soft Brie will keep until gone. Remember, cheese was invented for long term milk storage.

Any hard cheese will keep for days, week without danger. If it's real warm, it may get soft and oily, simply rinse and dry it, and eat. If it manages to get moldy before you eat it, simply slice the mold off and enjoy the rest.

Laughing Cow and other sealed cheeses come with free fire starters, as well. (The wax)
I carry cheese all the time won't hike without it all kinds of cheese even cream cheese. Cheese has it's best flavor at room temp. Now having got that of my chest (again:D). Try a smoked cheddar won't get oily or super soft, goes good on a sandwich with just about anything even peanut butter, and is really good at the end of the day with scotch:banana

DBCFlash
05-12-2011, 17:37
Had a big chunk of nice, salty, sharp cheddar on my last hike. It was sooo good!

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-12-2011, 19:42
I almost ALWAYS bring summer sausage and cheddar. I'm going to try that smoked cheddar next time!

Feral Bill
05-12-2011, 20:00
Smoked gouda is tasty too.

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-12-2011, 20:02
Oh YES it is! and Dill Havarti!

DBT fan
05-13-2011, 22:37

:-? Pure genius! :)

chiefiepoo
05-13-2011, 23:02
I almost ALWAYS bring summer sausage and cheddar. I'm going to try that smoked cheddar next time!
My summer sausage was good, but not as good as the home made deer sausage a good ol Georgia boy gave me at Woody Gap. I carry Cabot cheddar and am going to try the smoked variety next trip. Once had a can of the Kraft canned stuff in my food bag. Somehow the top came off, even with tape to hold it on, and the remains of a partial can filled the voids in the food bag quite throughly. Glad I was on the way home

atraildreamer
05-14-2011, 11:59
I am sick of peanut butter for lunch.

A-h-h-h...stone the heretic! :eek:

Peanut butter...a perfect food, makes a great sandwich...made exceptional when bacon is added! :rolleyes: :banana

Gaiter
05-14-2011, 12:05
hard cheeses, get ones with a rind on it, it will mean less surface area for mold to grow, carefull where you toss the moldly cheese,

GeneralLee10
05-14-2011, 12:41
I am sick of peanut butter for lunch. I do like spam on a large English muffin with Arby's sauce, but I would like some cheese with it. Most cheese are bad when they get warm. Any ideas.

Cheese is not bad when it gets warm. It just gets all messy, I found that sharp chedder is the best.

GeneralLee10
05-14-2011, 12:42
hard cheeses, get ones with a rind on it, it will mean less surface area for mold to grow, carefull where you toss the moldly cheese,

Mold is cheese, hello!!, cheese is mold

GeneralLee10
05-14-2011, 12:45
:-? Pure genius! :)

Umm... I have a video of the How to firestarter on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MWJFZLiGhU

Enjoy!!

buzzamania
05-14-2011, 12:50
regular white string cheese is good. Used it on my last section.

Manchu Infantry
06-20-2011, 15:03
Heh... even though I have a genuine dislike for MREs, I'm still ok with the cheese spread in that. Unfortunately, if all you want is the cheese, getting the entire MRE is kind of a waste.

Northern Lights
06-30-2011, 00:56
Try wrapping your hard cheese in butcher's paper. I saw someone with it on a five day trip and at the end of the trip it was still good.

300winmag
07-20-2011, 21:56
In my experience hard cheeses fare much better in warm weather than, say, most Cheddar cheeses. Try putting your cheese in your hydration bladder's sleeve to keep it cooler.

Whatever you doo store cheese in a TIGHTLY sealed double Ziploc baggie B/C the oils from warm cheeses can get everywhere. (Don't ask.)

Eric