PDA

View Full Version : A section-hiking GA question...

GSLeader_in_NC
05-12-2011, 14:28
My daughter and I are planning our next section hike sometime in September. We're doing the section between Woody Gap and Unicoi Gap.

I looked on the elevation profile and it looks like the (relatively) "easier" way to hike would be to start at Unicoi Gap and go south to Woody Gap. When I mean "easier", I guess I mean less ups and more downs... the first trip she really struggled on the ups, and had an easier time on the downs, so I'm trying to do what she is most comfortable handling (she's 14 and even though she's athletic, doesn't have a lot of backpacking experience).

Has anyone done it both directions? What do you think?

Toli
05-12-2011, 15:01
My daughter and I are planning our next section hike sometime in September. We're doing the section between Woody Gap and Unicoi Gap.

I looked on the elevation profile and it looks like the (relatively) "easier" way to hike would be to start at Unicoi Gap and go south to Woody Gap. When I mean "easier", I guess I mean less ups and more downs... the first trip she really struggled on the ups, and had an easier time on the downs, so I'm trying to do what she is most comfortable handling (she's 14 and even though she's athletic, doesn't have a lot of backpacking experience).

Has anyone done it both directions? What do you think?

I have yo-yo'd Neels Gap to the Ga/NC boarder many times... I know what the profile looks like, but never thought one way was easier than the other... FWIW...

bigcranky
05-12-2011, 15:25
I've gone both directions. Southbound from Unicoi you do have a nice long level stretch from Blue Mountain shelter to Low Gap shelter. Would make a fine first day.

However, the climb of Blood Mountain northbound is not as bad as it looks. If you start at Woody you can camp a couple of miles before the summit (near Woods Hole), then hit the summit early in the morning for views, then Neels Gap for second breakfast.

max patch
05-12-2011, 16:17
I really don't think it makes any difference one way or the other.

However, having said that, I'd probably go NOBO as I personally like hiking up Blood NOBO rather than SOBO. Thats just my personal preference, YMMV.