PDA

View Full Version : Things you don't want to hear, know about, or care about on the trail

Chowbear
05-12-2011, 18:52
I'll be leaving Central Florida in a few days to begin my thru. If I hear one word about Casey Anthony on the trail I am going to live in a hole... :D

DBCFlash
05-12-2011, 19:20
Lindsey Lohan, Donald Trump, Dancing with the stars, Global climate change...If I hear not one word on these subjects again in my lifetime, I'll die happy.

Beachcomber
05-12-2011, 19:25
Lindsey Lohan, Donald Trump, Dancing with the stars, Global climate change...If I hear not one word on these subjects again in my lifetime, I'll die happy.
Sad to say, we may not be able to avoid thinking about climate change up in the mountains as the years go by. But Lindsey and The Donald will be blessedly irrelevant.

WingedMonkey
05-12-2011, 19:26
My first thru hike, O.J. Simpson was on trail the whole time.

Mags
05-12-2011, 19:27
Gear talk.

:sun

johnnybgood
05-12-2011, 19:27
I'll be leaving Central Florida in a few days to begin my thru. If I hear one word about Casey Anthony on the trail I am going to live in a hole... :D
WHO ?? I don't watch the drama on network TV news anymore , so I have no idea who the hell you're talking about.

ShelterLeopard
05-12-2011, 20:02
Gear talk.

WOW YES. Definitely.

Also that senator who was supposedly "hiking the AT" whilst fooling around with his mistress...

Spokes
05-12-2011, 20:06
"How long does cheese stay fresh on the trail?"........AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

WingedMonkey
05-12-2011, 20:08

Replaced by..."what happened to that block of cheese?"

Beachcomber
05-12-2011, 20:09

Best answer to that: "Cheese isn't fresh to start with. It's spoiled milk!"

Chowbear
05-12-2011, 21:01
WHO ?? I don't watch the drama on network TV news anymore , so I have no idea who the hell you're talking about.

I'd tell you... but then I'd be talking about it.;)

tigerpaw
05-12-2011, 21:22
That would have been the Governor of South Carolina...not a Senator :)

ShelterLeopard
05-12-2011, 21:39
Whoops. You knew what I meant. Yet another piece of news I just tried to block from my mind...

Sarcasm the elf
05-12-2011, 22:04
Politics and religion.

Though they are sometimes acceptable as part of a larger discussion on philosophy.

free4now
05-12-2011, 22:31
Things you don't want to hear, know about, or care about on the trail? If you like city slum living you will be comfy on the trail... cigarette butts, trash and graffiti in the shelters... the AT is now a shi-hole. The sad thing was the Kincora two 10,000 milers Just Jim and ??? who said "just ignore it." way to give back as-holes.

myotheralt
05-13-2011, 00:43
WOW YES. Definitely.

Also that senator who was supposedly "hiking the AT" whilst fooling around with his mistress...

Unfortunately, I had decided to thru hike right after that "scandal" came out. I was caught unaware.

Frogdown
05-13-2011, 08:10
How about nathan deal (gov of georgia) who signed a bill this allowing clear cutting of trees blocking billboards!

hikerboy57
05-13-2011, 08:22
dancing with the stars.

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2011, 08:31
The replies on this thread are reminding me how lucky I am to not own a television.

Mags
05-13-2011, 09:11
The replies on this thread are reminding me how lucky I am to not own a television.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

Sarcasm the elf
05-13-2011, 09:32
http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

Drop dead brilliant! Thank you sir!

Personally I try to mention my lack of a television in no more than 10% of my WB posts.

Stray dog
05-13-2011, 09:34
I don't want to hear about any reality show. I don't care how well Bristol Palin danced last night.

sbhikes
05-13-2011, 10:30
Wow, I wasn't even thinking about pop culture stuff I'd want to get away from on the trail. I was thinking about on-trail stuff I don't want to know about. I really don't want to see, smell or know about anybody's drug use. I really don't want to see or smell anybody's used TP. I'm not interested in anything going on in your iPod or iPhone and actually I don't even want to see any iPhones on the trail. I'd rather see everyone filling the air with MJ smoke than see everybody with their heads down looking at iPhones. Nothing makes me more sad than that.

And this is sort of strange, but I kinda don't really want to know the weather forecast. Once I've looked at it and decided it's a good week to go out, I don't want to hear any updates. I don't know how it is everywhere else, but where I live it seems even the weather gets all hyped up with too many exclamation points. Advisory!! It's going to be 85 degrees!! Puh-lease. Anything above or below room temperature and anything with a wind speed of more than zero or anything at all gets a big read Advisory! slapped on it.

Buffalo Skipper
05-13-2011, 10:32
DWTS, reality TV, political trash talk, & Baseball. I am pretty indiffernt about pizza too (I know, I'll catch flack for that, but I simply cannot stand Dominos, Little Ceasers, Papa Johns or any of that delivered pizza; I am just sick of it!). OK, time to step off my soapbox.

Namaste
05-13-2011, 10:38
Wow, I wasn't even thinking about pop culture stuff I'd want to get away from on the trail. I was thinking about on-trail stuff I don't want to know about. I really don't want to see, smell or know about anybody's drug use. I really don't want to see or smell anybody's used TP. I'm not interested in anything going on in your iPod or iPhone and actually I don't even want to see any iPhones on the trail. I'd rather see everyone filling the air with MJ smoke than see everybody with their heads down looking at iPhones. Nothing makes me more sad than that.

And this is sort of strange, but I kinda don't really want to know the weather forecast. Once I've looked at it and decided it's a good week to go out, I don't want to hear any updates. I don't know how it is everywhere else, but where I live it seems even the weather gets all hyped up with too many exclamation points. Advisory!! It's going to be 85 degrees!! Puh-lease. Anything above or below room temperature and anything with a wind speed of more than zero or anything at all gets a big read Advisory! slapped on it.

Yes, all that plus don't need to hear about celebrities and their tales of woe.

Ender
05-13-2011, 10:45
Religion, celebrities, politics. Pretty much in that order.

And of course, I leave room for exceptions if the conversation is really interesting. :sun

gravityman
05-13-2011, 11:10
The trail magic that someone else just got but no one else did and how awesome it was...

hikerboy57
05-13-2011, 11:22
I was hiking in the whites a few years ago, ran into a guy with an altimeter, that would shout out how much higher to the top every 10 steps or so, till I told him to shut up. Sometimes you're better off not knowing how many miles

algernon
05-13-2011, 11:36

I second that motion

bloodmountainman
05-13-2011, 13:40
I don't want to hear global warming BS, evil corporations, CEO pay, and most especially any songs of praise for a community organizer.

XCskiNYC
05-13-2011, 13:56
If there was no Casey Anthony there would be no Nancy Grace :sun

Chomp09
05-13-2011, 14:01
The trail magic that someone else just got but no one else did and how awesome it was...

Yes, THAT^^^^!!!

Carbo
05-13-2011, 14:09
I don't want to hear about anyone or anything that is in "People" magazine, TV Guide, on any TV program, or talk-radio show unless it's something really big and headed for earth!

Buffalo Skipper
05-13-2011, 14:18

Who? ;)

Acutally I am headed to Orlando tomorrow with the family for a week, so I bet we will have to hear that first name more than I we would like, though thankfully not the second.

DrRichardCranium
05-13-2011, 14:49
Things I don't want to hear:
Snoring.

sbhikes
05-13-2011, 15:31
I was hiking in the whites a few years ago, ran into a guy with an altimeter, that would shout out how much higher to the top every 10 steps or so, till I told him to shut up. Sometimes you're better off not knowing how many miles

Oh yeah, that and also I don't care how much of a hill is coming up. Complaining about hills, worrying about hills...who cares. You take what the trail offers. It goes up and it goes down and there's really not much you can do about it so it makes no sense to worry about hills.

Driver8
05-13-2011, 16:17
The Tea Party and Bristol Palin. Pretty much all Palins, except Michael. :)

Beachcomber
05-13-2011, 17:08
I don't want to hear global warming BS, evil corporations, CEO pay, and most especially any songs of praise for a community organizer.

Fair enough, if we can have absolute silence on such subjects as creationist BS, evil immigrants, union collective bargaining, and most especially any songs of praise for any tea party organizer. **** applies to ideologues, period, as far as I'm concerned.

hikerboy57
05-13-2011, 17:16
Its not much further.

harryfred
05-13-2011, 18:54
Mine is only good for Netflix's haven't missed it in over a year and a 1/2.

harryfred
05-13-2011, 19:03
I mean really I don't understand:confused:

harryfred
05-13-2011, 19:06
Oh yeah, that and also I don't care how much of a hill is coming up. Complaining about hills, worrying about hills...who cares. You take what the trail offers. It goes up and it goes down and there's really not much you can do about it so it makes no sense to worry about hills.
:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap :clap:clap:clap

subliminal
05-14-2011, 13:30
No more about how the economy is "recovering".

Get back to me when it's actually happening. Until real companies are hiring for real jobs with real salaries, I don't want to hear that the economy is improving because 3 more people got hired to work the drive-thru at McDonald's than last month.

Nean
05-14-2011, 13:36
I don't want to hear about how bad the economy is either....:eek:

or about hanging food.....:rolleyes:

or how you are doing future hikers a huge favor by leaving your trash so they can start a fire...:confused:

Nean
05-14-2011, 13:38
did I metion I don't own a TV?!:p:D

max patch
05-14-2011, 13:58

Nancy Grace was famous (or infamous, depending on your viewpoint) long before anyone ever heard of Casey Anthony.

Nean
05-14-2011, 14:30
Nancy Grace was famous (or infamous, depending on your viewpoint) long before anyone ever heard of Casey Anthony.

See? I have no idea of who these people are!:D

i know who tiger woods is though....:o

johnnybgood
05-14-2011, 14:54
See? I have no idea of who these people are!:D

i know who tiger woods is though....:o
Same here . Is this Nancy Grace someone we REALLY should know ? .....never mind , I'm aiding and abetting on the continuous of this nonsense.:D

Sarcasm the elf
05-14-2011, 14:58
did I metion I don't own a TV?!:p:D

Hey! That's my line!!!:p:p:p

subliminal
05-14-2011, 14:59
Same here . Is this Nancy Grace someone we REALLY should know ? .....

Sadly, I'm ashamed to say that I've seen her show.

Think of "Judge Judy", only more bitchy, less entertaining, and with an even more poorly put together TV show. Oh yeah, she's not even a judge.

For those who don't know the name, Nancy Grace is essentially nothing more than a slightly overweight, slightly unattractive woman who makes a fortune by being a raging, self-righteous bitch on Fox in the afternoon....

Nothing to see here, move along.....

hikerboy57
05-14-2011, 15:02
obama's a Muslim.

weary
05-14-2011, 15:07
WOW YES. Definitely.

He was a governor, not a Senator. You apparently didn't hear about it enough.

Nean
05-14-2011, 15:08
Hey! That's my line!!!:p:p:p
Ha! nice artical provided by Mags too.:D

Nean
05-14-2011, 15:09
obama's a Muslim.

from another country...:rolleyes:

Lemni Skate
05-14-2011, 15:28
If you run into me, an ex-pastor who now teaches statistics and who is currently obsessed with the exploits of his daughter's cross country team, you're either in for religion (not Evangelism, just funny stories about dumb things people used to do in the church I pastored), statistics (I have numbers for everything--so much so on my last section hike people started calling me "Stats"), or really boring stories about how much faster my 13 year-old daughter can hike than I can.

Come to think of it, why in the world would anyone want to be subjected to an hour of lunch with me? Now I'm depressed.

max patch
05-14-2011, 15:28

Think of "Judge Judy", only more bitchy, less entertaining, and with an even more poorly put together TV show. Oh yeah, she's not even a judge.

She may not be a judge, but before coming to TV she was a prosecutor in Atlanta who never lost a case so shes certainly qualified to have a show. And while I don't particularly enjoy her show, at least she comments on the current legal issues as opposed to Judge Judy who arbitrates small claims court cases.

subliminal
05-14-2011, 15:41
She may not be a judge, but before coming to TV she was a prosecutor in Atlanta who never lost a case so shes certainly qualified to have a show.

Well, it sounds like she's qualified to be an attorney, but she's nowhere NEAR qualified to have a TV show.

Sorry if you admire her, but I don't need a television to see an arrogant, self-righteous bitch ramble on about how she's awesome and everyone else is trash. I can see that in any decent sized town in America. Hell, in a pinch I could experience that with a quick call to the cable company's customer service number.

Johnny Carson was qualified to have a television show. Nancy Grace should have stayed in the court room.

Mags
05-14-2011, 20:19
Ha! nice artical provided by Mags too.:D

We don't have a TV either in our house. :D

(Well, we do have a TV, but it is an old tube TV for DVDs..see now I sound like my article!!!)

Carl in FL
05-14-2011, 21:11
show. Oh yeah, she's not even a judge.

For those who don't know the name, Nancy Grace is essentially nothing more than a slightly overweight, slightly unattractive woman who makes a fortune by being a raging, self-righteous bitch on Fox in the afternoon....

Sorry, even Fox wouldn't stoop that low. It's Headline News (CNN)

subliminal
05-14-2011, 21:18
Sorry, even Fox wouldn't stoop that low. It's Headline News (CNN)

No, Fox did stoop that low. Her show airs on Fox in my neck of the woods. Late afternoon, around 3 pm....

The fact that I know that is one of the greater horrors that come along with this economy and having to work the night shift for the first 3 months of my new job....

Carl in FL
05-14-2011, 21:30
My apologies with a sense of strangeness. FOX is on here all day and I never see her
show. I've seen her in passing through CNN/Headline News so maybe we live in parallel
universes.

I do Miss Johnny Carson though.

WingedMonkey
05-14-2011, 21:42
Ok I can't stand her or watch her but to settle this...she has two shows. One is a current event (the baby fell in the well and was murdered) show on HLN (formally called CNN Headline News) and the other is a Judge Judy type syndicated show called Swift Justice with Nancy Grace which may appear on local FOX or any other local channel.

:eek:

subliminal
05-14-2011, 21:59
she has two shows.

Interesting... And amazing...

All I know of her is the "Swift Justice" show.

Having seen that train wreck, I find it completely mind blowing that this gasbag convinced TWO networks to put her on the air.

Wow.

tuswm
05-14-2011, 22:13
I love talking gear, but I know its just one of those topics, love it or hate it.
Health
Also where you have hiked pros and cons, where you wana hike.

But I dont want people to tell me how to live my life. I tend to find a lot of preachers.

Dogwood
05-14-2011, 22:19
I'm tired of hearing people complain! So many offended, angry, fearful, annoyed, impatient people. I'll head the other way. You can chose, especially when hiking, what you focus on!

Killed my TV about 5 yrs ago. One of the best things I ever did for myself!

Sarcasm the elf
05-14-2011, 22:24
We don't have a TV either in our house. :D

(Well, we do have a TV, but it is an old tube TV for DVDs..see now I sound like my article!!!)

Just couldn't resist talking about it, huh? :banana

Suppose it's just human nature, one of the reasons I stopped being totaly vegetarian is that I couldn't do it without being smug about it. ( a character flaw which my friends were more than happy to point out to me.)

Wise Old Owl
05-14-2011, 22:39
One of the few things that many cannot grasp as one gets older. The pleasure of the trail is a get away from incessant female voices in my ears. Hense, I noticed Aetna Heathcare won't pay for hearing aids for men anymore. Yup not covered..... Turns out they got the message.... Men don't want them.

If you think that's sexist... too bad. There's no men's forum. You ALL talk to much on the trail.:D

subliminal
05-14-2011, 22:50
one of the reasons I stopped being totaly vegetarian is that I couldn't do it without being smug about it.

LMAO... I went through a similar thing. I had a "healthy" phase that lasted about two years, 6 months of which I was strictly vegetarian. While I was most definitely smug about it, that's not the reason I quit, though. I dropped it because it sucked. Sure, I was healthy, but I wasn't enjoying my life anymore. 3 or 4 times a day I was having to say "no" to something that I would have really loved.

Since I gave up the "healthy living" thing, I eat like crap, I smoke two packs a day, and I drink way, way more than anyone should.

And I feel better than I ever have... And I now get carded when I buy booze again, something that hasn't happened for 15 years. Hell, at work I've even had people tell me they thought I was 20 years old. (Um, my son is 22....)

There's something to be said for saying "screw it" and just living your life the way that you enjoy....

Dogwood
05-15-2011, 00:56
I bring ear plugs, MP3 player, and bandana(for blindfolding myself) on every airplane, train, and bus trip and on some car trips with particularly long winded rambling relatives and for use at every hostel and AT shelter.

It's so fing great to have my hiking gear with me. I'm ready to camp out at any time! NO, I don't need to listen to your shart! Shut the *&^% up!

ShelterLeopard
05-15-2011, 11:56
One thing I don't get tired of is FOOD TALK!!! Both talking about what is in my food bag and what I'll be eating in the next town.

Mags
05-15-2011, 17:20
One thing I don't get tired of is FOOD TALK!!

My ancestry is southern Italian....

Growing up, all we did (or so it seems) is discuss what food are we going to buy, what food is going to be cooked, and what food is going to be eaten for Sunday dinners, holidays, birthdays and any day during the week that ends in DAY.

The food I ate on the trail was not nearly as good (understatement) as the family cooking, but the conversation did seem similar. ;)

TnSlowPoke
05-15-2011, 19:13
What ever happen to the good old days of when you were camping and hikeing what happens at home stayed at home? Back then you had FUN when hikeing and the best part was the camp fire at the end of the day when I was so tired all I wanted to do was to sleep.
When we did talk about somthing it was about hikeing and camping of the big fish that we caught.
One thing I never want to hear on the trail is "Oh take it from you cant do that." after taking chemotherapy treatment for lung cancer I belive that I can do just about anything I want to do excwpt spell some words.

Reid
05-15-2011, 19:39
People making mountains out of molehills. Some people wear their agony on the sleeves trying to act like they are above the issues.

subliminal
05-15-2011, 22:07
Back then you had FUN when hikeing and the best part was the camp fire at the end of the day

Back then we didn't have the LNT zealots to contend with who make a campfire sound worse than detonating a nuclear bomb.....

TnSlowPoke
05-15-2011, 23:18
W of meell excuse the !@!! out

Trailweaver
05-16-2011, 00:37
RE: Nancy Grace. She does like to brag that she "never lost a case." Well. . . my husband knows her, and knows her "record" of cases in Atlanta. (He is a prosecutor in our town.) What he says about her is this: "It's easy to say you've never lost a case if you didn't try them in the first place!" Nancy Grace was a prosecutor for a very short time, during which time she picked cases she had very little chance of loosing. (The cases she didn't want to try, she allowed to plead out.) If you only pick cases that are dead certain winners, of course you can win them. Let's just say she didn't last long in the real world of being a prosecutor. We think she's the biggest joke on TV. Big mouth, small brain.

Pedaling Fool
05-16-2011, 09:04
The number one topic at least in the beginning seems to always be about gear, weight of pack (specifically lack of), and all the various hiking techniques by all them freakin' "experts" out there. They seem to want to prove that hiking is very technical and all things associated with it and they are the most knowledgable.

Of all my hobbies/past times...hiking and all things associated is one of the easiest non-thinking things I can do. What do these people do in real life...dig ditches...

I don't mind politics, religion, climate change talk, but it is a little irritating when someone won't exchange ideas, rather just lecture, then I just walk away, same thing I do with all them "experts".

randyg45
05-16-2011, 10:03
I don't mind politics, religion, climate change talk, but it is a little irritating when someone won't exchange ideas, rather just lecture, then I just walk away, same thing I do with all them "experts".

I like to talk about ideas.
It is just alien to me to be so insecure as to be angry at the mention of God, Reagan, Obama, or Satan.

It's sad that gossip, weather, pop culture, and self are the highest conversational goals of some people.

ShaneP
05-16-2011, 14:01
When people start talking about television, I just say "oh, we don't watch television", even though I do. I just don't think it needs being talked about.

I don't want to hear "you should have been here last week"

RGB
05-16-2011, 14:22

Alternatively, for people who are proud of not being on Facebook. :rolleyes:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-who-temporarily-disables-facebook-account-deem,19269/

firefly
05-16-2011, 18:45
Unsolicited advice that my gear is wrong. There is always some guy who has to make it his business to critique my gear even when it is inside the pack and he cannot even see it. It is always a male and he is usually over 30. The younger guys do not seem to do this. Does this happen to you guys too??

LoneRidgeRunner
05-16-2011, 18:54
Why do you carry this, that and the other? It seems every one knows best what every one else should and should not carry on the trail. HYOH

LoneRidgeRunner
05-16-2011, 19:03
Unsolicited advice that my gear is wrong. There is always some guy who has to make it his business to critique my gear even when it is inside the pack and he cannot even see it. It is always a male and he is usually over 30. The younger guys do not seem to do this. Does this happen to you guys too??

On one of my shots in the WB gallery.."Why are you carrying all that weight?" Now..just how did this guy even have a clue what my pack weighed and why did he think it was any of his business to start with? Remarkably..that's never happened to me on the trail though... I guess it has to be a whiteblaze user. I did have a guy ask me if I had a furnace in my 4 season tent once...I told him "No, but I can get my a** and all my gear (except food) in it..Can you?" He had to stand outside his tent to take his pants off and then slide into it feet first to sleep. I bet if he farted it would have burst at the seams..LOL..But that's HIS business, just like it was my business that I ALWAYS use a 4 season tent.. PERIOD. I wouldn't have said a word about his hot dog bun tent had he not chose to insult my choice..

Dogwood
05-16-2011, 19:38
It's MOST OFTEN SO NICE to hike solo or in remote areas where I have to deal with only my own thoughts/voice!

WingedMonkey
05-16-2011, 20:33
It's MOST OFTEN SO NICE to hike solo or in remote areas where I have to deal with only my own thoughts/voice!

And we are grateful for that too.
:D

Pink
05-16-2011, 20:43
Things you don't want to hear, know about, or care about on the trail? If you like city slum living you will be comfy on the trail... cigarette butts, trash and graffiti in the shelters... the AT is now a shi-hole. The sad thing was the Kincora two 10,000 milers Just Jim and ??? who said "just ignore it." way to give back as-holes.

What or where is Kincora? I met a hiker recently named Just Jim...he was traveling with his dad. Wonder if it was the same guy. Were they asian?

TigerLily
05-16-2011, 21:40
charlie sheen! just shut up already! haha

ShelterLeopard
05-20-2011, 12:07

I've had that a couple times. I'll be packing up, and someone'll amble over and casually say "you know, your pack'd be a lot lighter without X,Y and Z." Dude, I know. I've been carrying it for two months. (I guess he expected me to say something like "really? I had NO IDEA! I thought these things were weightless and necessary. Now, thanks to your wisdom, I know the truth.")

Cookerhiker
05-20-2011, 13:18
I don't own a TV either, rarely go to movies, don't know much about famous actors, singers, pop culture so most names mean nothing to me. I'd rather not hear incessant prattling about them at the shelter or campsite - I'll just tune out, no biggie. I've never heard of the names brought up in previous posts.

Don't like football - don't want to hear anything about the NFL.

Gear - another tune-out. If someone approaches me and asks about my gear (admittedly highly unlikely), that's OK unless it's just a pretense to brag about their cool, high-tech, superior gear. I really can't stand it when someone comes up and says "hey, let me show you my (fill-in-the-blank, alcohol stove, GPS or other electronic device, whatever)." If I want to know, I'll ask.

With the 150th year anniversary of a certain war occurring throughout the next 4 years, I don't want to hear about battles but I'd be interested in discussing the politics of those times.

Politics & religion - OK, I don't mind, I could enjoy it but I'll never initiate the conversation.

Beachcomber
05-20-2011, 13:23
With the 150th year anniversary of a certain war occurring throughout the next 4 years, I don't want to hear about battles but I'd be interested in discussing the politics of those times.

The all-purpose answer to any question or comment along those lines: "Stonewall Jackson!" If you happen to have a staff, you can lean on it while uttering any gnomic pronouncement and you'll seem wise.

Cookerhiker
05-20-2011, 13:28

I've had that a couple times. I'll be packing up, and someone'll amble over and casually say "you know, your pack'd be a lot lighter without X,Y and Z." Dude, I know. I've been carrying it for two months. (I guess he expected me to say something like "really? I had NO IDEA! I thought these things were weightless and necessary. Now, thanks to your wisdom, I know the truth.")

I can relate. On my '05 section hike in Maine (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=117260), I was told in so many words that I should get the "old time religion" and lighten my pack. This was at White House Landing so while "only" a section hiker, I had covered over 250 miles of Maine at that point and liked to think I knew what I was doing.

My sage was a 62 year-old guy who was admittedly very nimble and fit, about to complete his 3rd AT section hike; I admired him in that regard but resented his intrusion. So after listening to repeated "advice" like this from such a know-it-all, I uncharacteristically turned on him and told him he didn't know how to mount his pack. Especially with such a light pack like he had, he "should" flip it over his head. He was flabbergasted and sputtered that there was no right or wrong way to put a pack on. "Right," I said, "just like there's no right or wrong way to decide what goes in your pack."

We got along OK after that. I even let him enjoy a swig of my champagne atop Katahdin.:D

Carl in FL
05-20-2011, 13:57

I just love good sarcasm, and that's really good stuff right there.

earlyriser26
05-20-2011, 15:57
1) How I can save 0.0001 OZ. on a new whatever
2) It's pretty close or pretty much all down hill
3) Any global warming or the evil rich people that are keeping me down
4) The correct way to do almost anything
5) My carbon footprint

ShelterLeopard
05-25-2011, 08:35
I just love good sarcasm, and that's really good stuff right there.

Heck yeah. Cue the dancing banana emoticon...