PDA

View Full Version : Question on cooking

HangEm High
05-12-2011, 19:54
Can anyone tell me the correct spelling of Gee? It is used in place of butter. I have heard some people mention it on several other sites and on youtube but haven't been able to find the correct spelling. Also where would I find this product?
Thanks!!!

Beachcomber
05-12-2011, 19:57
Can anyone tell me the correct spelling of Gee? It is used in place of butter. I have heard some people mention it on several other sites and on youtube but haven't been able to find the correct spelling. Also where would I find this product?
Thanks!!!
It's Ghee. You should be able to find it in Asian food markets. It's clarified butter -- essentially pure butterfat with the milk solids removed, so it keeps in hot weather without turning rancid. An important consideration in a place like India -- or on a long summer hike.

WingedMonkey
05-12-2011, 20:05
It's Ghee. You should be able to find it in Asian food markets. It's clarified butter -- essentially pure butterfat with the milk solids removed, so it keeps in hot weather without turning rancid. An important consideration in a place like India -- or on a long summer hike.

True...but..it is cooked longer than clarified butter to remove water. Can be stored long time and also can be used as a lamp fuel. Plenty of directions online.

HangEm High
05-12-2011, 20:15
Thanks aot. I have hear it mentioned many times but never got the correct spelling. Now I can start my seach for it. Thanks again!!!!

Ironbelly
05-12-2011, 20:51
You can make it yourself on any stove top and a fine filter or cheesecloth. And save yourself alot of money. I usually make some before my trips to help add a little flavor to some dishes. It's also nice to actually cook with while on the trail, really opens up the options. It takes maybe 30 minutes per stick of butter to make, maybe a little less. You can then either leave it liquid and put it in a little 4oz squeeze bottle like i do or refridgerate it to take it back to a more solid state. It will keep for about two weeks at room temp, it never stays around longer than that for me because i use it all.

moldy
05-16-2011, 10:21
It's a weak mind that can think of only one way to spell a word--Mark Twain

flemdawg1
05-16-2011, 10:34

I've seen it in the Middle-East/Indian section of my supermarket.

HangEm High
05-18-2011, 17:56
I got a 16 oz. jar from one of my customers today. She also makes her on but went out of her way for me and bought me a jar. I'll be using it on my next trip. Thanks to all who posted. I appreciate it.