PDA

View Full Version : Salt and pepper

hikinfool36
05-12-2011, 22:02
I normally pack sugar, salt and pepper to add flavor to my some what blah food. What other spices do you take on the trail

Jersey Tim
05-12-2011, 22:36
You'll see many people post in threads like this that they like onion powder to give their food a little extra zing. Another reliable option, and a personal "flavorite" of mine, is to kick it up another notch with jalapeno powder. Does some very nice things to potatoes, believe it or not.

shelb
05-12-2011, 22:38
We always bring some Parmesan (spelling?) cheese and red pepper flakes. Raid the local pizza hut for the small packets!!!

Hoop
05-12-2011, 22:55
Garlic & olive oil

schnikel
05-12-2011, 23:00
I'd raid pizza hut and taco bell. They have all you need. Add in the Olive Oil though, good taste and calories.
Schnikel

Bonjour
05-12-2011, 23:49
Mrs. Dash is good on everything.

Hikes in Rain
05-13-2011, 06:10
Little Lexan pepper grinder, dehydrated onion and garlic. Packets of hot sauce. Packets of honey for my coffee.

Rocket Jones
05-13-2011, 06:28
For shorter hikes, I only take what matches the food I'm carrying. Honey for tea is a standard. Other than that, it depends. Why carry a bunch of seasonings with nothing to use it on?

Taco

Rocket Jones
05-13-2011, 06:31
Argh...

Taco Bell packets - their salsa verde and fire roasted are really quite good
Taco or fajita meat seasoning - add to rice and whatever along with some crushed corn chips
Curry powder, red pepper flakes, Cumin, paprika
I've been wondering if I can fake out my taste buds by using a little Montreal Steak Seasoning on TVP. Something to experiment with.

garlic08
05-13-2011, 08:36
Garlic, of course.

RevLee
05-13-2011, 08:49
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, sugar, cinnamon, taco seasoning, cajun seasoning, and an Italian blend. I keep them in the little 1.5x3" ziplocks you can find in the craft section of Walmart.

Beachcomber
05-13-2011, 09:29
Curry powder; great to spice up rice or lentils. Brown sugar as all-purpose sweetener and glucose-booster. Less water than honey, so fewer grams per calorie. And makes instant coffee more tolerable than drinking it straight.

k.reynolds70
05-13-2011, 09:43
The Old Standby:
-Olive Oil
-Sriacha Sauce
-Mayo packets (Duke's)
-Honey packets

The newest two:
-Goulden's Spicy Mustard (I was jazzed to find these in packet form & FREE)
-Tang mix

k.reynolds70
05-13-2011, 09:48
Fresh garlic, Olive Oil, Parmesan packets, Italian seasoning tossed in any type of pasta (i find that Gnocchi is the most hearty...and heavy)
Easy, cheap, and loaded with calories...

Buffalo Skipper
05-13-2011, 10:06
I take sugar for my coffee, but I do not ususally take any other spices, for their own sake. I do FBC, so all my spices are added to the meal package at home, whatever is appropriate to the recipe. This could be sage, thyme, rosemary, curry or pretty much anything else.

I do take a separate Pizza Hut parmasen cheese packet for some recipes where the cheese is added separate from cooking. And when I have some form of Mexican borrito, I will take Taco Bell sauce, either hot or the new verde.

Spokes
05-13-2011, 10:14
another vote for fresh garlic. I add a minced up clove to dinners whenever possible.

atraildreamer
05-14-2011, 12:02
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, sugar, cinnamon, taco seasoning, cajun seasoning, and an Italian blend. I keep them in the little 1.5x3" ziplocks you can find in the craft section of Walmart.

The WalMart pharmacy sells Eze-Dose Pill Pouch baggies that are good for seasonings. $1.29 for 50 bags. :)

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-14-2011, 15:41
Lite My Fire spice box has 1) garlic/pepper mixed 2) cumin and 3) paprika

LDog
05-14-2011, 16:50
Well, I've been thinking in terms of a thru in which I'll be resupplying with a few drop boxes for long stretches and hard to find stuff, a bounce box, and in town. I figure I'll live on staples like Instant Soups, Instant Potatoes, Minute Rice, Dried instant beans, Noodles, Couscous, Oat, barley flakes, Pita bread, Packets of Tuna, Chicken, Salmon, Nut butters, Quinoa Flakes, Instant breakfast mix, Instant hummus, nuts, fruit ...

To combine these things into meals, I'm thinking of a "larder" of herbs, spices and other stuff. Now, the following is just the result of recent brainstorming and does *not* reflect to what I'll likely pare it down. (I like a light pack, and to eat well)

Dry milk
Demerara sugar
Pepper
Salt
Chicken bouillon
Parsley
Thyme
Basil
Chili Powder
Red Pepper
Cumin
Oregano
Cinnamon
Curry Powder
Granulated garlic
Dried onions
Dried peppers
Dried tomatoes
Dried carrots
Dried celery flakes
Dried chives
Dried mushrooms
Powdered cheese
Powdered butter
Olive Oil
Mayo packets
Mustard packets
Relish packets

JAK
05-14-2011, 18:39
I wish those smallest ziplocks were ziplocked on the short side instead of the long side. Paper pouches would work also, as you can put them all into a plastic bag together. Koolaid pouches maybe. Some herbs and spices come in ziplocks.

Paprika is a good one.
Parsley is a great source of both A and C.

Surplusman
05-14-2011, 19:09
There are some great ideas in this thread for spices, and I plan to experiment with a lot of them this year. But no matter what I bring along, Tabasco Sauce is still my basic condiment. I carry the regular sized thick glass bottle. In over 40 years I've never had a problem with breakage.

atraildreamer
05-15-2011, 12:50
Paper pouches would work also, as you can put them all into a plastic bag together.

They are called envelopes. :) Try a stationery store and get some small coin envelopes. :D

YohonPetro
05-16-2011, 12:07
OLD BAY!

The only spice I need :sun

sizemj
05-16-2011, 15:03
Texas Pete Hot Sauce (made in NC : )

Procras108r
05-16-2011, 23:35
Take yourself some drinking straws and

cut two (2) 1/2 inch sections from the straws
fill the straw with your desired spices
fold over unto the straw each of the ends
use the 1/2 sections as a sleeve to fit over the folds to hold the folds in place and to hold in the spices
Now you can store your straws in plastic tubes for toothbrushes if you like long straws or in Rolaids / Lifesaver's containers if you like smaller straws.

mkmangold
05-16-2011, 23:58
The Old Standby:
-Olive Oil
-Sriacha Sauce
-Mayo packets (Duke's)
-Honey packets

The newest two:
-Goulden's Spicy Mustard (I was jazzed to find these in packet form & FREE)
-Tang mix

Srirachi is great but you are carrying too much water with it. Powdered wasabi is a good and powerful alternative.

Delta-Dawn
05-17-2011, 15:46
Morton's Nature's Seasons is my go-to for salt/pepper/garlic, etc. One bottle, all blended, we use it all the time at home and in the woods. :)

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Nature_Blend.htm

erika
08-22-2011, 02:30
Chili powder and also garlic and pepper.

Tammy Petry
08-22-2011, 09:22
Mrs. Dash with Garlic.

DaveSail
12-08-2011, 16:12
One I use a lot is : " JANE'S Krazy Mixed - Up Salt " . It is Salt / Pepper / Onion / Carlic / Herbs / Spices . Created and originaly made in Medford , New Jersey .
Now made down South , and sold by : Flavor Delite , Inc. Richburg , S.C.

coach lou
12-08-2011, 16:58
Oregano/ garlic/ lemon/ pepper, together in small shaker.

Spokes
12-08-2011, 17:54
Bad Byron's Butt Rub (http://www.buttrub.com/)

Mike2012
12-08-2011, 19:27
another vote for fresh garlic. I add a minced up clove to dinners whenever possible.

I had a friend that swore eating a clove (not a bulb) of garlic a day kept the bugs away. Supposed to be good for you anyway.

OLD BAY!

The only spice I need :sun

Yes that makes sense seeing where you're from. :D With any luck we'll pass by a crab feast on the way up.

I bring salt, pepper, Italian herb blend, various condiment packs including soy sauce, pimenton (smoked paprika), curry, turmeric, cinnamon, and a little maple syrup now and then. Oh and olive oil definitely. Hopefully I can track down the conveniently located health food stores with bulk for resupply along the way.

pyroman9
03-03-2012, 19:33
Cayanne Pepper! Adds the perfect spice to anything.

old geezer
03-04-2012, 15:54
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on just about everything

Thekey
08-18-2012, 11:19
I usually use only salt , the food without salt tastes none

Maddog
08-18-2012, 13:13
I normally pack sugar, salt and pepper to add flavor to my some what blah food. What other spices do you take on the trail
I usually FBC...all my seasonings are in the bag! Maddog:D

et_afig
09-24-2012, 20:04
I'm almost disgusted to find that no one carries cholula - the ultimate spice combo! I was happy thought that someone mentioned texas pete, thats the only thing the navy gives us on these tin cans!

Donde
09-24-2012, 22:09
+1 for old bay.

Also you can buy a kilo of MSG for like $5 at asian grocery stores. It's like magic.