PDA

View Full Version : White Blaze in the newspaper...

TankHiker
01-27-2005, 16:32
Hmmm... Look what I just stumbled across:

http://www.timesrecord.com/website/main.nsf/news.nsf/0/C7F573DE392DCA6305256F96005A4D0C?Opendocument

---------------------------------------------------

<TABLE cellPadding=8 width=457><CENTER><TBODY><TR><TD>The rest of 'the rest of the story' about a hiker named 'Saved'</TD></TR><TR><TD>[email protected]</TD></TR><TR><TD>01/27/2005</TD></TR><TR><TD>A fugitive sought as a suspect in residential break-ins and car thefts off the Appalachian Trail is caught in Georgia.

BRUNSWICK - The latest chapter in the saga of "Saved," a hiker on the Appalachian Trail who was first introduced to readers of The Times Record in the final installment of Sarah Holt's 10-part series about her trail experience, ends with a trip to jail.

The Appalachian Trail Conference's "Trail News" Web site reported Wednesday that a 33-year-old Rhode Island man who reportedly used the trail name "Saved" has been arrested in rural Georgia on fugitive warrants from Virginia as a suspect in a series of residential break-ins and car thefts off the Appalachian Trail in Wintergreen, Va.

National Park Service rangers arrested David Lescoe in Georgia, according to the report. National Park Service Ranger Todd Remaley said this morning that Lescoe was being extradited from Georgia to Virginia, where he will stand trial.

Federal law-enforcement agents had been looking for Lescoe on and near the trail since September after two break-ins - including one at the home of an Appalachian Trail Club member - were reported and a stolen automobile was recovered at the Appalachian Trail parking area along the James River. They had been helped by many hikers and people who live near the Appalachian Trail calling in leads.

"Although serious crime is a rare occurrence on the trail, it's nice to know that when a situation like this develops, the trail community will join forces with the law-enforcement community to resolve it," Remaley said.

He's asked that anyone with information on any thefts on the trail between June and October and between New York and Georgia call him at 1-717-258-5771.

News of the man's arrest spurred a great deal of discussion - about the man's actions, character and the notion of redemption - on www.whiteblaze.net (http://www.whiteblaze.net/), a Web site for Appalachian Trial hikers and those interested in the trail. Here's a sampling, with each entry identified by either a trail name or an e-mail moniker:

Langelier7 - Jan. 25, 3:52 p.m.:
I can tell you that, YES, the thief that you all are referring to was caught. I know this because he was living next door to my husband, children and me for about three months. He showed up here in rural Georgia around the end of October, came home with my husband for a hot shower and meal and just never left. He took a job, joined the church, and spent many, many hours alone doing what he called "soul searching." We never had any idea as to what kinds of things David did on his trip south. We were surprised, naturally, when the U.S. marshals picked him up on Friday evening. We immediately went to the Internet and did a Google search for his name and have mercy at the amount of things we found! ... I just wanted to let all the angry people know that the "thief" they refer to has been caught. I only ask that each of you use the same amount of energy that it took to be angry at him and turn that energy into prayer for him! In all the time we knew him, we never saw this side of him so I refuse to give up on him. God wouldn't.

Sgt. Rock - Jan. 25, 4:20 p.m.:
It would probably be easier for folks to forgive him if at the point he did find Jesus and get saved that he did something to make it right instead of hiding out.

fairydust1225 - Jan. 25, 5:25 p.m.:
I never had a run in with Saved or David as he was known here in Georgia. I do know that he touched a lot of lives while he was here. No one knows for sure what he was doing stealing all of the stuff he did but I know that while he was here he worked his way in this world. ... No one knows his reason for coming to this very small town in central Georgia but someone or something led him here. Maybe he was looking for a new start and he took all means necessary to get as far away from his past as he could. For what ever the reason he changed on his trip down the AT. He developed from a sad lonely depressed suicidal boy into a confident man that took his responsibilities into his own hands and has turned his life back in time to face the demons chasing him and confront the new ones he caused.

Rocks 'n Roots - Jan. 25, 4:48 p.m.:
Every few years the AT's notoriety attracts persons with criminal intentions. The bad part is AT hikers being seen as a public danger. The good part in this case is that no one was hurt. I hope "Saved" works it out and isn't punished too severely...

orangebug - Jan. 25, 5:45 p.m.:
One of the great hallmarks of a sociopath is their apparent sincerity and ability to be well liked and well trusted.
I would not be particularly proud of having my children attended by this man - or any other stranger who simply appeared on a doorstep seeking a shower.
One of the worst consequences of dealing with a sociopath is dealing with the number of lies and trust violations. This can lead very trusting people to become very cynical and angry. One of the great Reaganisms was "Trust, but confirm." I am sorry that this religious rural Georgia community failed to protect their children or themselves.

oldfivetango - Jan. 25, 6:43 p.m.:
For once in my life I am almost speechless - emphasis on almost. For starters let me say I'm glad the guy is "caught" however it happened. Second, if the guy is going to get 25 years for stealing a girl's backpack there is something seriously wrong with the system. I would be willing to bet you that the dude has a rap sheet "as long as your leg." ... In all honesty I do hope the guy will get the help that he needs with no more than just punishment and have a sincere conversion that will serve him well for the rest of his life.

Happy - Jan. 25, 9:40 p.m.:
I think that any of us that have chosen backpacking as our sport or given hobby for any long-term period, will attest that we have met some great and long-term friends that have chosen the same sport.
There has always been a keen bonding that results from encounters on the trail or on sites such as this one. It is extremely rare each year, if you encounter any character that violates that trust or bonding - unlike baseball, football, basketball or hockey or such. To forget or forgive this trust is unacceptable.

</TD></TR></TBODY></CENTER></TABLE>