PDA

View Full Version : What to drive?

winland
05-13-2011, 14:08
My Dodge truck has faithfully taken me to many a trailhead and waited patiently for my return. Alas, it is time to replace it.

So what to get??

What I like about the truck: 4 wheel drive, high clearance, room for 4 plus lots of stuff, battered and beaten (so no one even considers stealing it).

What I don't like: poor gas mileage, size (for fitting into those not-really-a-parking-space spaces), rising repair bills. Not really "fun" to drive.

Recommendations?

Thanks all

hikerboy57
05-13-2011, 14:41
theres certainly plenty of options for you. I sell chevys for a living. It depends on your budget. You can go new and have full warranty, or look for something preowned, and use the savings to buy gas. If you're driving a durango, you'd probably get better gas mileage in a suburban, if you're looking for a small pickup, take a lok at the Dodge Dakota, chevy colorado, or the Nissan frontier.dont be totally fixated on fuel economy, keep in mind the TOTAL COST of owning the vehilce you consider(insurance,fuel economy, total price)depending how many miles a year you drive, fuel may not be the biggest factor- whats a better buy, a $30000 vehicle that gets 40mpg, or a $20000 vehicle that gets 30mpg?will the money you spend on better gas mileage outweigh the gas savings?the average break even for a Hybrid vehicle is 7 years(Consumer reports).

4shot
05-13-2011, 14:48
I just can't see being without a truck. While certainly not required everyday, there's just too many times when one is required. I am on my third Ford truck and have always had excellent results, one was purchased used with 75k miles. I am regular about routine maintenance and as a result have never had an unexpected breakdown or repair.At about 120k miles I replace all belts, hoses, timing belt, water pump etc. I am a big fan of the F-150 with the crew cab but like with all "gear" posts I'm sure you'll get a lot off varying opinions. My truck actually has a comfortable ride btw.

Doc Mike
05-13-2011, 15:39
subaru
pick up a used one, AWD good clearance, go anywhere, actually in winter many times will go better than my 4wd chevy truck.
i just had my 96 model die at 250k and I paid 2500 dollars for it 5 years ago

Buffalo Skipper
05-13-2011, 15:50
I have a 1999 Dodge Durango. Mostly the best of both worlds. They are common, parts are easy and the engines are great. V8 are everywhere and 4WD are generally available. Look for a 2004 or so for a good deal. Mine is 2WD, and I rarely go where I need all 4 any more. I get almost 20 mpg on the highway, and about 16-17 around town, less when I am pulling the camper. Only mechanical problems which are common are AC (evaporator) and burning oil over 120,000. I have both, problems (150K+) but even my mechanic says it still drives like a new car. Runs smooth and is extremely reliable. The most thoughless vehicle I have ever owned.

paistes5
05-13-2011, 16:15
I love my F250 diesel. Big and roomy, doesn't mind getting beat up much and decent gas mileage for a truck that big. Can fit 5 adults very easily and gear in the bed.

LIhikers
05-13-2011, 17:40
If I were in the market for a new vehicle my first look would be at a Honda Element.

leaftye
05-13-2011, 17:42
I would love to do an diesel engine swap into a Cherokee. It'd be perfect for getting me to almost any trailhead, and pretty good at giving hikers a ride too.

hikerboy57
05-13-2011, 17:42
If I were in the market for a new vehicle my first look would be at a Honda Element.
clearance is way too low for off road.

Cosmo
05-13-2011, 18:41
I'd go for the Subaru if you did not want a truck. We have a 4 cyl stick and it goes anywhere there is ground clearance. A little stiff and noisy in the suspension, but it stays on the road.

If you decide to stay in the truck market, I'd look for an older Toyota Tacoma (the new ones are very big and flossy). I've had a 98 and now have an 04 (I liked the 98 a lot more), both 4cyl, stick w/ a jump seat (great for storing gear out of sight/weather. I average over the year about 20mpg. Just have the frame checked by a dealer before you buy. In the NE the frames from that era are rusting out. The dealer may undercoat or replace the frame (at their expense), or take the thing off the road and offer you a check towards a new truck.

Cosmo

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-13-2011, 21:36
I've had a GMC Jimmy 4x4, Honda CR-V 4x4 (currently @ 200k+ miles), 1986 Chrysler LeBaron (don't ask, looks badass with a roof rack tho :P ), and a Ford F-150. Of all of them, the Honda CR-V is by far the most reliable, best gas mileage, most capable. All of these vehicles have gone to and back from the trailhead over the years. Have friends with Jeep after Jeep after Jeep after... you get it. Anyways i'm in the market for a new vehicle myself. I've been looking closely at the 2007+ Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and Nissan Titan, it's an impressive truck, and the Jeep is well... a Jeep. 2 more to look at :)

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-13-2011, 21:37
Oh... and the CR-V has a picnic table in the back built in!!!!!

DBCFlash
05-13-2011, 21:43
I've had a Wrangler in my stable since the early 90's. Can't rave about the gas mileage, but the things are so capable and fun and they can go practically anywhere. And the chicks dig 'em

10-K
05-13-2011, 21:44
I drive a Honda Ridgeline and am going to keep it until the wheels fall off. I've had everything from an M3 to 4WD Chevy trucks and the Ridgeline is the most versatile vehicle I've owned. (The M3 was by far and away the most fun to drive though....)

Very comfortable, auto like ride with most of the advantages of a pickup and 4WD can be activated if necessary. Bed is smaller than even a regular shortbed full size pickup.

Sierra Echo
05-13-2011, 21:48
I'm getting a Jeep Wrangler for my birthday! I can't wait!

DBCFlash
05-13-2011, 21:50
I'm getting a Jeep Wrangler for my birthday! I can't wait!
Like I said...chicks dig 'em

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-13-2011, 21:52
Ridgelines are nice, but more expensive than Nissan Titans. I wanted to stay in the Honda family if possible but two problems: 1) people just won't let them go! and 2) the ones you CAN find, are too high mileage for the price.

10-K
05-13-2011, 21:56
Ridgelines are nice, but more expensive than Nissan Titans. I wanted to stay in the Honda family if possible but two problems: 1) people just won't let them go! and 2) the ones you CAN find, are too high mileage for the price.

We're pretty much all Honda - my wife drives a Pilot, I've got a Ridgeline and my son has a CR-V. My daughter has a Saturn with 205,000 miles that runs like a top.

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-13-2011, 21:58
Haha! I made my mom buy an Accord or threatened to never talk to her again (of course I would talk to her) It's the best car EVER for the money... runs like an absolute champ, quiet, reliable, good gas mileage... just amazing vehicle.

map man
05-13-2011, 22:31
I own a 2011 Subaru Outback. With the AWD and high ground clearance it can get to some remote trailheads out west that I want to get to. And it will go in the snow. It will hold three people, their backpacks and some spare gear easily and could handle four people in a pinch, if they don't have much else along other than backpacks. Rated 29 highway MPG. Above average reliability according to Consumer Reports and a top safety pick by the IIHS, if those things are important to you.

Skid.
05-14-2011, 09:19
A used Subaru would probably fit the bill. I have found excessive ground clearance to almost never be a factor, even most dirt roads in Va and Vt only require a few inches.

d.o.c
05-14-2011, 09:44
had a jeep cherokee... but ive been driving a subaru outbck it gets the job done

4shot
05-14-2011, 11:23
whatever you decide to get, drill holes in the body, sand off any paint and use helium in the tires rather than air, you'll get better mileage.

atraildreamer
05-14-2011, 11:49
subaru
pick up a used one, AWD good clearance, go anywhere, actually in winter many times will go better than my 4wd chevy truck.
i just had my 96 model die at 250k and I paid 2500 dollars for it 5 years ago

Beware of the 1999 Subaru Forester (and a few other models from 1999 and other years). Seems that a lot of them developed a tranny problem where the car doesn't want to go into DRIVE due to a seal problem that usually shows up after the warranty expires. Just Google "1999 Subaru transmission problems". How do I know...I've got one. :(

Snowleopard
05-14-2011, 11:55
I drive a 2wd Honda Fit, a small hatchback. I use it like a small pickup. I get 40mpg (not a hybrid); most drivers would get 35 mpg in it. It will carry four people comfortably OR 1 person and a LOT of stuff. Good snow tires and front wheel drive are all I need for lots of ice and snow.

Some questions to ask yourself:
What do you think the price of gasoline/diesel will be half way through the vehicle's life?
How often do you need a truck where a hatchback, station wagon or small minivan won't work? My father built a hundred houses with a Rambler station wagon as his only vehicle. Lots of places deliver and home depot rents trucks by the hour.

A used Subaru would probably fit the bill. I have found excessive ground clearance to almost never be a factor, even most dirt roads in Va and Vt only require a few inches. They're not the best for gas mileage, but there just aren't many other station wagons around these days. My ex-wife's old Tercel (tiny car) had amazing ability to not drag bottom. The ground clearance wasn't huge, but the width of the car was small enough that it never dragged.

DapperD
05-14-2011, 21:13
My Dodge truck has faithfully taken me to many a trailhead and waited patiently for my return. Alas, it is time to replace it.

So what to get??

What I like about the truck: 4 wheel drive, high clearance, room for 4 plus lots of stuff, battered and beaten (so no one even considers stealing it).

What I don't like: poor gas mileage, size (for fitting into those not-really-a-parking-space spaces), rising repair bills. Not really "fun" to drive.

Recommendations?

Thanks all

I own a 2011 Subaru Outback. With the AWD and high ground clearance it can get to some remote trailheads out west that I want to get to. And it will go in the snow. It will hold three people, their backpacks and some spare gear easily and could handle four people in a pinch, if they don't have much else along other than backpacks. Rated 29 highway MPG. Above average reliability according to Consumer Reports and a top safety pick by the IIHS, if those things are important to you.I bet your Dodge's dashboard is all cracked too:). Supposedly a trademark of oldie-but-goodie Dodge trucks:D. From what I have learned, I like the Subaru Outbacks also. I have never owned one, but I would consider one for the benefits of good gas milage, high ground clearance, and the benefits of an excellent all-wheel-drive system. The only problems from what I have read about the newer designed Outbacks (2010-2011) is that the four cylinder needs to be more powerful due to the fact that the all-wheel-drive system alone consumes about 70 of the 4 cylinders 170 horses. The six cylinder, at 256 horses, is the way to go (however price increases substantially). According to the reported milage achieved, the loss between having the six cylinder as compared to the 4 cylinder is basically little. Unfortunately , there are currently some ongoing issues and reports of steering shake at highway speeds occuring in the redesigned 2010-2011 Outbacks that some owners are experiencing:http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/despite-fix-some-subaru-outback-and-legacy-owners-still-experience-highway-vibration/ I believe the Outback to be a decent vehicle, but one may want to reconsider buying one of these model years until these problems have been corrected. Personally if I was not concerned too much with the cost of gas and in the market for a good 4-wheel drive SUV, I would also consider a newer model Nissan Xterra.

fiddlehead
05-14-2011, 21:24
No. 1 priority should be gas mileage.
More and more Chinese people driving means the price of oil isn't gonna go down.
Can you afford to drive an F250 to the trail that gets 14 mpg when the price of gas is $7 per ?
You'll probably be trading it in for a motorcycle if you buy one of those.

DapperD
05-14-2011, 21:27
More and more Chinese people driving means the price of oil isn't gonna go down.
Can you afford to drive an F250 to the trail that gets 14 mpg when the price of gas is $7 per ?
You'll probably be trading it in for a motorcycle if you buy one of those.I think the moped craze is going to return with a vengence:D.

bigcranky
05-14-2011, 21:59
Those scooter things are looking better and better for local commuting. But I can't fit all my work gear inside -- need the Yukon for that. Oh well.

I've had a Mazda long bed pickup ('86), a Mazda extra cab 4x4, a Jimmy 4x4, and now the Yukon '02 for the last 8 years. The Mazdas were the best built and lasted the longest, and that 4x4 would go anywhere under any conditions. The Jimmy was kinda crappy, to be honest. The Yukon is the nicest to drive, and of course can carry the most stuff. It's awesome for cross-country trips. I wish it would last forever, and it's doing pretty well at 140K, but it also gets around 14mpg in town.

If I had to buy something right now, I would take a really good look at the Honda CRV. Better mileage, probably better long run reliability, and it should have enough room for what we need now.

subliminal
05-14-2011, 22:22
Saw the Dodge Durango mentioned. We happen to have a pair of them. :)

Got a 98 with the 5.9 and a 99 with the 5.2.

LOVE those things. But you have to be prepared to fork over some serious cash at the gas pump. They both cruise through deep snow like it's not even there.

I can say from experience that the 5.9 has MUCH more power than the 5.2. That sounds obvious, but I'm talking about a LOT more power. Much more than you would expect just from the difference in cubic inches. Also, counterintuitively, the big engine gets a lot better gas mileage. I have a long commute to work, and the big motor can get me back and forth for an extra day and a half (that's about 110 miles) over what the little motor can do. They both have the same size tanks, of course. About 80 bucks to fill at current prices.

Towing capacity? Hell, if I could find a long enough chain I have no doubt that the 5.9 could pull my house off the foundation and drag it down the street. That thing is a freakin' monster when you shift it down and put it to work.

If you don't care about fuel costs, I can't think of a better vehicle to buy than the old first generation Durango. If fuel cost is a concern, stay far, far away.....

Pedaling Fool
05-14-2011, 22:39

I get 0 miles to the gallon:sun

LDog
05-14-2011, 22:50
I looked at Subaus, Honda CR-Vs and Toyota RAV4s last year, and ended up in an outstanding lease deal on a base RAV4 when they were in the news for that acceleration issue. I love it. Ok mileage, and all the high-tech safety goodies. I can put the back seat down and fit two bicycles in the back. Mine came with a roof rack that handles my canoe fine, and I've taken it down some gnarly 2-track.

The new Ford Focus is in the dealers starts at $19k, with a new "five-door" hatchback design, an all-new platform, all-new engines, a 6 spd, dual-clutch automatic transmission that gets ok reviews, or a 6-spd manual that gets rave reviews! It's fuel economy is 28/38. The design is pure rally car. If it's as fun to drive as Mary's 2011 Fiesta to drive, it'll be a major hit.

Car and Driver calls it "the best small car for sale in America today."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q2/2012_ford_focus_se_hatchback_manual-short_take_road_test

Not sure I'd take it way down some gnarly 2 track, but it'd be a kick to drive to the trailhead.

Whiskyjo
05-14-2011, 23:13
I have a 1999 nissan frontier extended cab 4wd with 115,000 miles on it. I have beat the living crap out of it on the farm, back of bed is starting to rust out from hauling salt blocks for years to the cattle. So far I've bought 4 new tires, 1 new battery and 4 new brakes and it still runs like it was new.You can fit four in it but its tight. Leaving it on the trailhead for a week or so has never been a problem I just set my nasty spit cup on the dash and lock it.

DapperD
05-14-2011, 23:13
Saw the Dodge Durango mentioned. We happen to have a pair of them. :)

Got a 98 with the 5.9 and a 99 with the 5.2.

LOVE those things. But you have to be prepared to fork over some serious cash at the gas pump. They both cruise through deep snow like it's not even there.

I can say from experience that the 5.9 has MUCH more power than the 5.2. That sounds obvious, but I'm talking about a LOT more power. Much more than you would expect just from the difference in cubic inches. Also, counterintuitively, the big engine gets a lot better gas mileage. I have a long commute to work, and the big motor can get me back and forth for an extra day and a half (that's about 110 miles) over what the little motor can do. They both have the same size tanks, of course. About 80 bucks to fill at current prices.

Towing capacity? Hell, if I could find a long enough chain I have no doubt that the 5.9 could pull my house off the foundation and drag it down the street. That thing is a freakin' monster when you shift it down and put it to work.

If you don't care about fuel costs, I can't think of a better vehicle to buy than the old first generation Durango. If fuel cost is a concern, stay far, far away.....The 5.2L Chrysler engine is a 318 c.i. and the 5.9L is a 360 c.i. Actually, I believe years ago when they were made they were basically the same engine but the 360 (5.9L) was a "raised block" version of the 318c.i. (5.2L), allowing for and creating a greater piston stoke, thus generating the greater torque and horspower ratings it commands, making it an excellent choice for towing dutiies, snowplowing, etc...and most likely the overall better choice of the two for propelling a vehicle with the heft of the Durango.

Hoop
05-14-2011, 23:29
This week I got an '06 Ford Ranger, no extend cab, 4 cyl, stickshift, only 40k mi. Adding a camper top to keep stuff. Not much giddyap, and you can't swing a cat around inside but it's low maintanence and gets excellent mileage. In a couple of years who knows what a gallon of gas will cost

halftime
05-14-2011, 23:43
Mazda B4000 extended cab 4x4 (http://www.oopsik.com/2010/12/2003-mazda-b4000-4x4-extended-cab-6850.html)

subliminal
05-15-2011, 00:04
The 5.2L Chrysler engine is a 318 c.i. and the 5.9L is a 360 c.i. Actually, I believe years ago when they were made they were basically the same engine but the 360 (5.9L) was a "raised block" version of the 318c.i. (5.2L), allowing for and creating a greater piston stoke, thus generating the greater torque and horspower ratings it commands, making it an excellent choice for towing dutiies, snowplowing, etc...and most likely the overall better choice of the two for propelling a vehicle with the heft of the Durango.

Regarding the engines, you're pretty much spot on.

The one thing I would argue with is snowplowing. While the 5.9 is obviously a better choice than the 5.2 for that purpose, the Durango is a lousy choice for a plowing vehicle. The Durango has an independent suspension up front, and you really want a solid front axle on a plowing truck if you want it to last long....

DapperD
05-15-2011, 00:37
Regarding the engines, you're pretty much spot on.

The one thing I would argue with is snowplowing. While the 5.9 is obviously a better choice than the 5.2 for that purpose, the Durango is a lousy choice for a plowing vehicle. The Durango has an independent suspension up front, and you really want a solid front axle on a plowing truck if you want it to last long....How about this:D:http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/OLD_SITE/Cars/PowerWagon/PowerWagon-1-01.jpg

subliminal
05-15-2011, 09:37
How about this:D:

Oooh..... I'll take 2, please. :D

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-15-2011, 11:09
That's hot

LDog
05-15-2011, 11:37
Yep. Makes my nipples hard just looking at her

atraildreamer
08-18-2012, 17:59
Beware of the 1999 Subaru Forester (and a few other models from 1999 and other years). Seems that a lot of them developed a tranny problem where the car doesn't want to go into DRIVE due to a seal problem that usually shows up after the warranty expires. Just Google "1999 Subaru transmission problems". How do I know...I've got one. :(

I put in a quart of Trans-X Slip-Stop and Leak Fix. Costs about $10 at Auto Zone. It cured the problem. The tranny was shifting normally after about 10 miles of travel, and my gas mileage went up! :) :banana

(I know that this is not an auto repair website, but some other Whiteblazers may be stuck with a Subaru that has this tranny slippage problem. :mad: )

Papa D
08-18-2012, 18:52
I drive a 2004 Subaru Imprezza - super little car, all wheel drive - still very young at 130K miles - did the timing chain at 100K. I have a rocket box for the roof for backpacks, skis, gear, etc. so the passengers are comfy

Hairbear
08-18-2012, 19:25
just wrecked my 2004 dodge quad cab(14 mpg)the insurance company is dragging their feet on settling,so i bougt a granny car,a 92 tempo with 94 thousand miles.i thought it would sk at first,but the thing gets 30 mpg so the money i save for driving it to work and back pays for my hiking on the week end.threw 4 doughnuts in the trunk and leave it in some very out of the way places,so far no low life vehicle bashers,i guess it doesnt make people envy it .

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2012, 21:50
I get 0 miles to the gallon:sun

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10763&d=1305427115 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10763&d=1305427115)

After 25,000 miles that bike is done! I've bought a new one to use around town so I don't screw up my touring bike or my road bike. It's so new I don't even have a pic of it yet, but this is basically what it looks like, except it's purple/blue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/votoms888/Cycling/IMG_6753a.jpg

Hairbear
08-19-2012, 09:36
After 25,000 miles that bike is done! I've bought a new one to use around town so I don't screw up my touring bike or my road bike. It's so new I don't even have a pic of it yet, but this is basically what it looks like, except it's purple/blue.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/votoms888/Cycling/IMG_6753a.jpgkiller bike and view