PDA

View Full Version : The Crazy One

Mother Natures Son
05-13-2011, 18:18
Is it possible to thru hike the trail with a small pack as Earl Shaffer did in '48 or with as little gear as he carried?

WingedMonkey
05-13-2011, 18:42
Is it possible to thru hike the trail with a small pack as Earl Shaffer did in '48 or with as little gear as he carried?

Yes, if you only carry rice and don't shower.
;)

Tenderheart
05-14-2011, 08:57

Yes, if you're as tough as he was. I regret not getting to meet him.

4shot
05-14-2011, 09:56
yes, in fact it has already been done.;)

bigcranky
05-14-2011, 10:00
Why not? Nothing is stopping you from doing so.

off-pher
05-14-2011, 10:29
is this a trick question?

daddytwosticks
05-14-2011, 13:17
I can see it now...a special forum for hikers who use only retro gear several decades old...:)

Mother Natures Son
05-14-2011, 13:20
I've meet Earl many times before he hiked his last mile on this world. I never heard of anyone doing what he did since his death. Everyone into this super light gear but Earl did it way back in '48 with a 16 lbs pack! My question is this, can it be done with today's gear? If so, how??

Nean
05-14-2011, 13:31
I got to hang w/ Earl at the PAruck years ago- good times...

but yes- wolf23000 goes with like 9 lbs.

...wonder what Grandma Gs' gear weighed...?

bigcranky
05-14-2011, 13:58
I've meet Earl many times before he hiked his last mile on this world. I never heard of anyone doing what he did since his death. Everyone into this super light gear but Earl did it way back in '48 with a 16 lbs pack! My question is this, can it be done with today's gear? If so, how??

Plenty of people hike the trail with a 16 pound base weight. I don't think many of them are carrying the same gear that Earl did, though.

subliminal
05-14-2011, 14:25
I would imagine it could be done with even a far smaller weight. Probably 2 or 3 pounds. (knife, ferro rod, and a lightweight blanket.) I couldn't do it, and wouldn't want to, but I'm sure there are people out there far more badass than myself who could...

The real question is how low can you go before you cross the line from "ultralight hiker" and become a "survivalist".

tolkien
05-15-2011, 18:50
I would imagine it could be done with even a far smaller weight. Probably 2 or 3 pounds. (knife, ferro rod, and a lightweight blanket.) I couldn't do it, and wouldn't want to, but I'm sure there are people out there far more badass than myself who could...

The real question is how low can you go before you cross the line from "ultralight hiker" and become a "survivalist".
The only gear you need is a credit card lol. You cant be a survivalist a dozen miles from a supermarket.

TJ aka Teej
05-15-2011, 22:14
From his writings and from talking with him at Gatherings:
Here's a gear list for ye;

Mountain Troop Ruck Sack (a framepack)
Air Corp survival tent (soon to be sent home to save several pounds)
Marine Corp poncho
rainhat
"paper mill" blanket (soon to have the tent's zipper added)
Marble Company match safe, compass, sheath knife
sewing kit
snakebite kit
toothbrush (minus handle)
razor
potato sack
Mountain Troop cook kit
spoon
pencils
pocket knife
Army can opener
twine
spatula
Little black notebook
Retina camera and case with neck strap
color film
roadmap
Great Smoky Park map, other road maps, postcards
flashlight
comb
Quinsana footpowder
Food for a week- canned milk, tea, oatmeal, cornmeal, canned Vienna sausage,
cheese, bread, brown sugar
Clothing-T shirts, Navy turtleneck, Mountain Cloth pants, wool-cotton socks, Birdshooter boots with the heels shaved off

That gear got a fellow called 'The Crazy One' from Georgia to Maine.

Bronk
05-16-2011, 02:37
I met a guy near Waynesboro that had made some shoulder straps from paracord and tied everything he carried to it, which wasn't a whole hell of a lot. He had a sheet of tyvek that he used as a sleeping bag, ate only power bars and what he ate in town...at 25+ miles a day he didn't have to carry more than a day or two of food at a time. I didn't ask him how much weight he was carrying because the obvious answer was virtually nothing.

Old Hiker
05-16-2011, 21:55
No. ATC regs state one and only one male over the age of 40 can hike the AT in this manner per 200 years. The reservation list for the next 200 years is about 875 people long right now. Good luck.

Dogwood
05-16-2011, 22:55
Yes, if you only carry rice and don't shower. - WingedMonkey

That was quick! LOL

.....how low can you go before you cross the line from "ultralight hiker" and become a "survivalist". - Subliminal

Ditto. My thoughts too. Sometimes(often?), I know/Strongly Suspect I have not heard the complete story. It would seem at least some aspects of the so called hike are obviously being left out!

OOH OOOH OOOOH OOOOOH Mr Kotter Mr Kotter, Umm, excuse me excuse me, Mr Kotter, I have some questions.

Skid.
05-17-2011, 07:29
I think the trail was a lot different than it is today, in the route it took, as well as folks who lived nearby. It probably went through or near a lot more towns, and people were shocked to hear that someone was actually hiking the whole thing, would often invite him to spend the nite, not something that is as prevalent today.

Skid.
05-17-2011, 07:30
I think the trail was a lot different than it is today, in the route it took, as well as folks who lived nearby. It probably went through or near a lot more towns, and people were shocked to hear that someone was actually hiking the whole thing, would often invite him to spend the nite, not something that is as prevalent today.

Bare Bear
05-17-2011, 15:46
HYOH. I have gone with anywhere from about 12 lbs to 65. I have settled over the years with about 35 now, it suits me.