PDA

View Full Version : To hang a bear bag or not...

Totally Different Subject
01-27-2005, 17:37
To hang a bear bag or not?

Thoughts/Suggestions/Comments...

Thanks,
TDS

Lone Wolf
01-27-2005, 17:54
I never do.

JimSproul
01-27-2005, 17:57
I always do, it is not just bears you need to worry about.

Slaughter
01-27-2005, 17:57
Hang a mouse bag. Though the little bastards get in anyway, at least make 'em work for it. And hey, if it just so happens that your stuff is out of reach of other animals too, that's not a bad thing.

The Solemates
01-27-2005, 17:58
Depends on the area. Rarely do on the AT. Although you better believe we'll be hanging it when we head to AK this summer.

01-27-2005, 17:58
Lone Wolf, thanks for your reply. I have heard alot about you. Mostly of the bad sort... Just kidding.

You never do. Do you hike with a dog?

I haven't used one in GA, NC or TN. But I had my dog with me then.

I am gearing up for a March 1, NOBO thru-hike and the subject came up in the 2005 AT hiker forum.

I wanted to hear from experienced folks like you.

Appreciate your reply. Hope to meet you one day.

Thanks,
TDS.

01-27-2005, 18:01
It wouldn't be whiteblaze if everyone agreed. Soulmates have fun in Alaska this summer. One state I've always wanted to visit.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Glad folks out there are not because I hadn't planned on using one. I suppose if an area is a bear zone I could piggy back on another hikers bear bag...

peter_pan
01-27-2005, 18:01
Always hang the bag...it keeps critters large and small away...or at least they'll go for Lone Wolf's food first. :D

chris
01-27-2005, 18:02
It depends on the area on the AT. I almost never thrown a line out West, unless I know that I am in a problem area, or if Mr. Grizz is around. Once you know what you are doing, it takes about 2 minutes to throw a line. On the AT, there are enough people in the area that the chances are greater for a problem bear encounter. Same principle means that in a place like, say, Yosemite, you should definitely throw a line (legal in some places, other places you need a can).

The main thing is not to get too enthusiastic. Just get your food about 8-10 feet off the ground, and a few feet out from the trunk, on as skinny a branch as you can find. Not a big deal.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2005, 18:05
I don't hike with a dog. I always sleep in a tent or under the stars, never in shelters so my food stays with me. I've never had any problems but I'm not going to tell YOU not to hang your food. It just works for me.

Footslogger
01-27-2005, 18:05
Like Slaughter said ...you're probably at greater risk from the mice and chipmonks than you are from a bear.

That said though, I generally do throw a line over a tree branch and suspend my food bag around 10 - 12' off the ground. When I'm in a shelter I hang my food bag from one of the varmint lines. Bears aren't all that fond of people so unless something really pungent is left out our spilled it's not very likely they'll venture inside.

'Slogger
AT 2003

oldfivetango
01-27-2005, 19:18
Like Slaughter said ...you're probably at greater risk from the mice and chipmonks than you are from a bear.

That said though, I generally do throw a line over a tree branch and suspend my food bag around 10 - 12' off the ground. When I'm in a shelter I hang my food bag from one of the varmint lines. Bears aren't all that fond of people so unless something really pungent is left out our spilled it's not very likely they'll venture inside.

'Slogger
AT 2003 Thanks Slogger- whilst we are on the subject of bears and other critters.
I understand that just about anything with any odor(even chapstick?) can
attract a bear.I am wondering if there are any odors that they do not like?
I think i read that use of personal deodorant is NOT recommended?Need a clarification on that one.What about sunscreen etc?Bug repellent?
I wonder if the smell of humans repels or attracts bears & if anyone really knows.My preconceived notion would be that a wild bear avoids human scent whereas a habituated bear would associate human scent with "easy
pickins" for food etc.What's the case?
I would be inclined to think i will "mouse bag" at the very least and will not be using a shelter(unless in an emergency) because i snore so loud etc and
may have to get up in the middle of the night and disturb the other people
or the vermin.Inquiring minds want to know.
Cheers to all.
Oldfivetango:-?

hikerjohnd
01-27-2005, 19:57
Liking the advice so far... Can I add to the equation?

What kind of a bag do you use for your food? I have a dry bag (plastic roll top) and was planning to use that - is it overkill? What do you all use?

Thanks - and keep the advice coming!
--John

chris
01-27-2005, 20:04
I just use a generic silnylon bag. The problem with the draw string closure is that if it rains, what ever is inside will get wet. This isn't a big deal for me, but it might be for others. The roll top back will not have this problem. I don't know of any silnylon bags with a roll top closure, but my guess is that Brawny would make some if asked and given some time.

flyfisher
01-27-2005, 22:07
I just use a generic silnylon bag. The problem with the draw string closure is that if it rains, what ever is inside will get wet. This isn't a big deal for me, but it might be for others. The roll top back will not have this problem. I don't know of any silnylon bags with a roll top closure, but my guess is that Brawny would make some if asked and given some time.

I solved the situation by sewing a strap on the bottom of my food bag. When I hang it from those metal hanging cables in the southern states, I hang it upside down. If it rains, the rain does not run into the bag.

BTW, I use a Ursak and have never had a mouse get into my food. When I stay at a shelter, I hang it from a mouse hanger. When I stay between shelters, I prop it upside down in the fork of a tree and tie it to the tree.

My pack, on the other hand, stays under my tarp and hammock between shelters and on a mouse hanger or hanging in a tree when near shelters.

Kerosene
01-27-2005, 22:08
I'll hang my silnyl food bag in any area where there are likely to be bears, which is much of the AT nowadays. While it's not a big deal if water gets into the bag (since most of the food is in plastic or foil), I did attach a tiny caribiner to the web strap on the bottom of the bag and hang the bag upside down.

Peaks
01-29-2005, 11:03
I'll hang my silnyl food bag in any area where there are likely to be bears, which is much of the AT nowadays. While it's not a big deal if water gets into the bag (since most of the food is in plastic or foil), I did attach a tiny caribiner to the web strap on the bottom of the bag and hang the bag upside down.

I'm with Kero on this one. When in bear country, then I hang a bear bag. How do you know you are in bear country? If there is a bear box or a bear cable, then you are in bear country. If there are entries in the shelter register about bears, then you are in bear country. It's not that hard to throw up a line.

Like others, my food bag is a sil nylon bag with a strap on the bottom. So, when hanging by the strap, rain does not get into the bag. And inside, food is in plastic anyway.

When I am not in bear country, then I hang the food bag on a mouse hanger if staying in a shelter. Mice are always at shelters, and I'd rather not have them chewing away at my pack. Real simple. I think this has been posted before. Search other posts to read the same advice.