PDA

View Full Version : which backpack to get?

BigBadger
05-13-2011, 22:41
I'm looking for a backpack for section hiking the AT. I want to replace my old heavy Kelty external frame.

Here are my criteria:

I can buy it locally (in Nashville) so I can try it out first. We have a REI
weight of the pack under 3 pounds
carries 25 to 35 pounds
internal frame
accommodates a hydration pack
fits a heavy framed guy

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should check out?

Two Tents
05-13-2011, 22:53
For the weight you are looking at carrying and the pack weight I found a Golite is real comfy. I'm kinda big so I feel your pain. I'm not sure if REI carries Golite or not. Best thing you could do is get what you have that you know you are carrying and already own and take it to REI, load it with 'your' stuff plus some of their stuff(for weight). Then walk around and see if it rides right before you buy it. This way you can see if all your gear is going to fit. Leave room for food and clothes ect. when picking a pack at the store. Don't let them rush you. My REI is pretty cool on letting me check things before I pull out the plastic. Happy Trails-Two Tents. All that being said I'm saving to buy a ULA Circuit. A lot of people say they are the best. Plus if I had to sell it I wouldn't take much of a beating.

map man
05-13-2011, 23:05
You are likely to get a lot of recommendations at this site for packs that REI doesn't carry (ULA, Granite Gear, etc.) and for packs that won't handle 35 pounds (your upper range) very well. I'm guessing if you need to carry 35 pounds sometimes you'll need a capacity of at least 60 liters. With that in mind, I just checked out REI.com and found these two packs which you might want to try:

GoLite Quest
REI Flash 65

They both weigh in at a hair over 3 pounds and have an internal frame for some support.

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried either of these packs -- I'm judging based on specs.)

Two Tents
05-13-2011, 23:17
I can vouch for the Quest. My buddy has one and it is close to the Golite Pursuit the model I have. He likes it and pretty much doesn't even care what his stuff weighs. So I know it will hold a lot, both weight and volume.

BigBadger
05-14-2011, 00:08
Those packs look good. I'll check them out. thanks a lot!

map man
05-14-2011, 00:29
I also found a Granite Gear pack, the Blaze A.C. 60, a little under 3 pounds, 60 liters, "hydration compatible," rated at 35 pound max load, and their web site store locator says Granite Gear can be found at a couple Nashville locations (check out their web site for details), but not REI.

bert304
05-14-2011, 07:44
I would look in to the Osprey Atmos. It is 68 liters in the large size.

Jonnycat
05-14-2011, 08:49
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. REI no longer carries GG stuff, but if you get it from backcountry.com you can ship it back to them without cost.

bigcranky
05-14-2011, 10:01
REI Flash 65 meets all your requirements.

johnnybgood
05-14-2011, 10:47
I recently pulled a 3 day section hike with the Flash 65 and found it to be comfortable and lightweight. I'd suggest keeping the top load at 35 lbs though.
The only complaint I personally have with this pack is the inability to "dial in" on adjustments which can be done with the Osprey packs.

The Osprey Aether (60&70) are very comfortable packs which are both designed for a heavier load capacity .

Also as I'm sure you're aware , REI has a liberal return policy so get fitted for a pack , that it for a hike , return it if you're not satified .

tuswm
05-14-2011, 11:24
osprey exos 58
also my brother and GF both have REI flash 65 and it is WAY larger than my osprey atmos 65.

The flash can fit even the largest bear can horizontally anywhere in the pack.

But i would like to mention that recently I have decided for me personally I think there is a difference between an internal frame pack and a pack with stays. The osprey have internal frames while the flash has stays. Stays may transfer load just fine but they dont have any rigidity the other way to keep the flat back panel from turning in to a tube when the pack is stuffed. That just means you need to put more effort in to learning how to pack the pack. But it has two advantages, smaller and lighter "frame".

Also the last time I was at REI they said many of their UL packs are now only online. They mentioned all Granite gear and all go-lite. You might not be able to try on many options.

another sub 4 lbs pack that I have tried on and liked was the Gregory z65

schnikel
05-15-2011, 21:40
The Quest and Flash don't have a moveable suspention, so if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit. My vote would be to push your weight of the pack to 3lb 5 oz and get the Deuter 50 +15 which has a movable suspention of about 6 inches. It most likely would fit you because of the range. The Deuter won the outdoor gear award in 2011 and is improved from the 2010 version. Just goton and love it!
Schnikel

Skid.
05-16-2011, 07:19
Those were my same criteria. I settled on an Osprey Atmos, came in both 50 and 65 capacity, and different sizes. Has met my needs for going on 3 years now. Most importantly, go to a backpacking store that will let you bring in all your gear and put it in the pack, then try it on.

TAS
05-16-2011, 11:51
osprey exos 58
also my brother and GF both have REI flash 65 and it is WAY larger than my osprey atmos 65.

The flash can fit even the largest bear can horizontally anywhere in the pack.

But i would like to mention that recently I have decided for me personally I think there is a difference between an internal frame pack and a pack with stays. The osprey have internal frames while the flash has stays. Stays may transfer load just fine but they dont have any rigidity the other way to keep the flat back panel from turning in to a tube when the pack is stuffed. That just means you need to put more effort in to learning how to pack the pack. But it has two advantages, smaller and lighter "frame".

Also the last time I was at REI they said many of their UL packs are now only online. They mentioned all Granite gear and all go-lite. You might not be able to try on many options.

another sub 4 lbs pack that I have tried on and liked was the Gregory z65

The REI store here in Chicago still has some UL packs in store like 2 weeks ago.

John

Jay_NJ
05-16-2011, 12:57
rei flash 65 is a nice pack if it fits your frame. I use it without the top-lid and have streamlined it a bit.

BigBadger
05-16-2011, 22:09
I tried on an osprey atmos 60 (large) today, but it didn't quite fit. I felt like I was at the limit of the range for the straps. It wasn't very comfortable. I really liked all the bells and whistles on the pack though. If it had felt better, I would have bought it today.

I liked the way the granite gear blaze ac 60 felt. It is really snug against my lower back and it feels like it has lumbar support. It looked like it might get hot on your back though, since it is so closely fitted.

Does anyone have experience with the granite gear blaze ac 60?

BigBadger
05-17-2011, 21:43
I ended up buying an osprey kestrel 58. It is a bit heavier, but it feels good.

thanks yall!

Sierra Echo
05-17-2011, 22:09

Im thinking about getting one of these. I just got a coupon from REI in the mail today.

bigcranky
05-18-2011, 08:23
Im thinking about getting one of these. I just got a coupon from REI in the mail today.

My daughter has the older Flash 50 women's pack, and she likes it. The new version has changed some of the features but still seems to be a well designed pack, especially for the money, especially for 20% off.

TravelPro
05-23-2011, 16:19
Flash 65 is a GREAT pack. Well designed, well built. Lots of storage options.

Can't beat REI's warranty/return policy.

long island bob
05-26-2011, 10:35
hmm
thanks for the input