PDA

View Full Version : The WoRKS Backpack

napster
05-13-2011, 23:45
Last week at our local flea-markedt I purchaced a backpack called The WoRKS Mystery Ranch Deep Trance, paid 15.00 for it.I found the website and called the rep and he stated it sounded like a older style 2003 model of the now Trance XXX.
Its seems to be a pretty good design and well built pack although I never heard of that brand before but it had this funk to it.The dude selling it said he had done a couple of thrus but could not remember the years he hiked them.
We sprayed it with oder ban my wife calls it icky-poo and kept it in a tied garbage bag for two days and that seem to kill the funk.
I am concerned that when I use it and start sweating will the funk reappear?Should I go ahead and febreeze it now or just give it a try like it is and hope for the best? Plus any info pros or cons on this pack or brand will be some help.
N......

restless
05-14-2011, 05:16
I know this will sound like I'm being a smart@$$ but, take it to your local carwash and give it a good hose down, especially the side that goes against your back, straps and belts. Don't use any chemicals like soap and such, just regular water will do. Then hang it outside to air dry completely.

4eyedbuzzard
05-14-2011, 08:37
Basically a Bill Dana pack. Top quality stuff. Dana worked for several big companies as a designer and also has run his own brands (Dana Designs - sold to Marmot) and now Mystery Ranch. There's a lot more to the story, but for $15 bucks and some soap and water you made a good deal.

AndyB
05-14-2011, 08:48
the white vinegar bath and a high pressure water rinse worked really well for my pack..you scored

restless
05-14-2011, 09:55
Basically a Bill Dana pack. Top quality stuff. Dana worked for several big companies as a designer and also has run his own brands (Dana Designs - sold to Marmot) and now Mystery Ranch. There's a lot more to the story, but for $15 bucks and some soap and water you made a good deal.

I think you are referring to Dana Gleason, former owner of Dana Designs. Yep, this is one of his brands, and among other places, was sold at Neels Gap by Winton. Pretty much a bomb-proof pack. I agree, for 15 bucks, it was a steal.

Toolshed
05-14-2011, 10:18
Basically a Bill Dana pack. Top quality stuff. Dana worked for several big companies as a designer and also has run his own brands (Dana Designs - sold to Marmot) and now Mystery Ranch. There's a lot more to the story, but for $15 bucks and some soap and water you made a good deal. Huh?? Dana Gleason.....;)
PS leave it in the sun for a couple of days. UV rays may help.

4eyedbuzzard
05-14-2011, 11:44
OOPS! My bad. Yes, Dana Gleason.

Good packs though!

BradMT
05-14-2011, 19:56
The Works were the (mostly) offshore-made packs Dana produced after he sold Dana Design and before he started Mystery Ranch...

Zeno Marx
05-14-2011, 22:42
throw it in the tub with some laundry detergent and warm (not hot) water and let it sit for a while. push it down. slosh it around. squeeze out the padding with your knuckles like kneading bread. add white vinegar if you feel the need. scrub every nook and cranny with a soft brush. I wash all my packs like this. does them no harm whatsoever.

great score for $15. interesting type fabric, correct?

napster
05-15-2011, 10:10
Thanks everyone,It is a nice find. I been looking for another pack besides my Kelty Redcloud weighting in at 6lb 6oz. This here Mystery pack is just a little over 3lbs and feels like four diffrent kinds of fabric and has a very nice suspention system.The inside of the Mystery pack looks as someone sprayed silicone on some parts and its starting to peel.
Overall I am very pleased with the pack except the bright yellow and red colors.I always liked to blend in with nature. Think I will test it with a trip up to Cold Mt. N...

skinewmexico
05-15-2011, 11:52
Soak it in Mirazyme. Then take it to the car wash.

4eyedbuzzard
05-18-2011, 15:36
The inside of the Mystery pack looks as someone sprayed silicone on some parts and its starting to peel.
That's probably urethane, not silicone. And if it has a slightly offensive odor as well, that would be the urethane coating breaking down on the fabric. Happens to tents too. Just peel it off as best you can and live with the shedding until it's gone. Obviously, the pack wont be waterproof any more, but most aren't anyway and a trash bag liner solves the problem.