PDA

View Full Version : Water crossing shoe? Has anyone used the ...

nawlunz
05-14-2011, 17:17
Nike Solarsoft sneaker?
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/sneaker-releases/Nike-Solarsoft-Sandal/

I tried on a pair today, and they are really, really light! I am looking for a light waterproof pair of shoes to use for creek crossings for a trip to the sierras this year...But, a little pricey.

Has anyone had any experience with them?

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-14-2011, 17:21
I work for Nike, we have them in the store, I thought the same exact thing when I saw them, looks like a perfect camp shoe. Unfortunately they are too small for me or I would have gotten them already. I think they would be fine in creek crossings, they look like they would stay on your feet pretty well.

nawlunz
05-14-2011, 17:42
I work for Nike, we have them in the store, I thought the same exact thing when I saw them, looks like a perfect camp shoe. Unfortunately they are too small for me or I would have gotten them already. I think they would be fine in creek crossings, they look like they would stay on your feet pretty well.

would weigh? I didn't bring in a scale, and I can't find the weights on the website.

RWBlue
05-14-2011, 18:00
I think sandals with nylon straps are the best. But then again I have big flat feet and mine are custom made for flat footed people. I get creek side, change into sandals, cross, change into dry shoes, and continue on.

I have also worn then on boats, beaches, fishing in the creek, ......
I just don't plan on putting that many miles on them because they are not that kind of shoe

Walkintom
05-15-2011, 23:12
I needed footwear for creek crossing and such for our trip last week. I found some great foam sandals at Walmart for 8 bucks. They have enough cushion that I wore them for a couple of hours of hiking where there were numerous crossings. Felt great.

Dogwood
05-16-2011, 00:32
Those Nikes look to be Croc knock offs. Those Nike Solarsoft sneakers look to have a somewhat thicker(harder) protective sole and upper though(nice to have that protection on rocky bottom fords) and seem like they would stay on your feet for swift water fords. Both of which you might encounter in the Sierras such as on a few of the PCT/JMT fords. They obviously could be camp shoes. But not so sure how light wt or cheap they are. Typically, everyting from NIKE has that major brand name recognition mark-up associated with it!

Definitely costing less, possibly weighing less too but without the protection of a thicker soled water sandal such as you are looking at made by Nike are reef walkers. They are usually like slippers. Some have velcro straps for getting a good tight fit around the top of the instep. They have a grippy rubberized sole and usually a neoprene/lycra upper. When sized to fit right they stay on your feet very well, offer a touch of warmth, are not rigid so they compress/pack well, don't particularly hold water wt. meaning they dry out rather fast, and can be had for about $8-12 in Walmarts, KMarts, convenience stoires etc in Hawaii and in other places. Some brands and models I weighed are less than 5 ozs in size 13 for the pair. They would also make an adequate camp shoe for minimal walking around camp.

leaftye
05-16-2011, 00:45
These Nike's are a couple ounces heavier than Crocs according to Zappos.

TAS
05-16-2011, 11:23
The one thing I do not like about the Croc ic the strap, they do seem to hold the shoe very well.

These look better at staying on your feet?

John