PDA

View Full Version : REI Morning Star 65 Pack

fatmatt
01-27-2005, 19:14
Does anyone have this pack or know anyone that has it? I am guessing that REI gear is usually fairly decent stuff. Comments please....

Nameless
01-27-2005, 20:25
Hello,

My first pack, and one i used and loved (well, still love, but have since passed it onto the younger brother who still lives at home) for six wonderfull years was a REI Rising Star, the main difference being it is smaller and such.

I loved the pack, but i grew out of it. Not sizewise, the pack always fit me great, but it only loaded from the top, an had no real pockets. I began to want more from a pack, and have yet to settle on another (in two years... currently gonna bye myself a moonbow gearskin)

They are very, very durable packs, and if you fit it right, will always be comfortable. They are also very inexpensive and have REI's great return policy (returned a pair of boots with a good few hundred miles on them afer they gave me 22 blisters on one hike, they had no problem, and no questions, about giving me one size larger) But, they arent lightest packs. If that is a concern for you, a different pack may work better.

In short, this pack will get you over the AT comfortably and still have some wear in it, go for it if the price and weight are right for you.

Pink

mdjeeper
01-28-2005, 03:03
I cant really comment on the MorningStar, but I have a GreatStar (which is HUGE).. all I can say is that for a barebones pack at an exceptionally affordable price, its a heckuva pack. Very comfortable and a ton of fit adjustments for both the waitbelt and shoulder harness. I loaded it up with 43lbs and was more comfortable than my daypack (yeah, my legs let me know I had 40+ lbs when I got up Kinsman Mtn!) :)

Jaybird
01-28-2005, 06:37
Does anyone have this pack or know anyone that has it? I am guessing that REI gear is usually fairly decent stuff. Comments please....

fatmatt

i bought my REI Morningstar 65 in 2003 & have used it on 2 A.T. section hikes each year since. http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=17380

i've had NO problems with the pack...loads of room & love the "six-shooter" mesh bottle holders & the extra outside pockets.
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=21852

i'll be wearing it again this year for 3 weeks on the A.T.
Apr 28-May 21
Hot Springs, NC to Pearisburg,VA :D

maybe i'll see u out there!