PDA

View Full Version : 70 days without food; stuck in snow; died

John B
05-14-2011, 20:06
Poor guy. In brief, driving a pickup on a forest road, stuck in a snow storm, couldn't get out. He kept something of a diary. He had lots of water with him, which allowed him to live some 70 days before passing away. Odd that he never tried to walk out, though.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/13/national/a155534D36.DTL

10-K
05-14-2011, 20:10
Said he knew the area.... Wonder if he knew he was just 3 miles from a town?

Very sad...

Tipi Walter
05-14-2011, 22:09
It boggles the mind. Did he have a map? The article said,

"It would later surprise searchers that McDonald, just three miles from the town of Marion Forks, made no attempt to get out of the area."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/05/13/national/a155534D36.DTL#ixzz1MNnT4xfq

Maybe he knew the town might be abandoned? Even postholing in waist deep snow is possible for three miles. Hmmmm . . . . . . . . . Just do a mile a day. Could it be he decided to end it all by staying put?

Wise Old Owl
05-14-2011, 23:07
I am going to guess from the writing style that the man didn't have a map or hike out, because of an education level that may have been below high school. He may have done the best he could. Truck Camping is not survival and he didn't have the knowledge, to get out of the mess.

AndyBees
05-14-2011, 23:59
Just wonder what Daniel Boone's education level was? I seriously doubt that education level had anything to do with the McDonald's dilemma.

Most of us have read the story about John Joesph Donovan. (John served 15 years in the United States Navy and earned B.S. and M.S. degrees in social work at Norfolk State University............experienced hiker.) He just made some very bad decisions, regardless of his education and experience!

The sheriff stated that McDonald had no permanent home. My guess (as good as any), the man just assumed that the weather would break in a few days. Then days become weeks and by the time he realized that he should make an effort to walk out it was too late due to his food reserves and physical condition.

Jonnycat
05-15-2011, 00:37
My guess (as good as any), the man just assumed that the weather would break in a few days. Then days become weeks and by the time he realized that he should make an effort to walk out it was too late due to his food reserves and physical condition.

Yep. This year has been a banner year for rain and snow out here in the PNW. Warm days have been few and far between, mostly it is rain, rain, and more rain down in the valley; it's the middle of May and we the forecast is for almost a half a foot up on the passes tomorrow.

Here's a pic from Friday to give you an idea of how much snow we still have; you know it's deep when the nordic markers are at the snow level in mid-May.

http://jonnycats.home.comcast.net/DeepSnow.jpg

Toolshed
05-15-2011, 08:58
My guess is that he didn't want to abandon his belongings, and simply thought he could wait it out after he realized he couldn't move turn his truck around. The article states he knew exactly where he was, "On Horn Road, east of Salem, near Highway 22", perhaps he didn't know a town was 3 miles away, or perhaps what the article might not state is that the 3 miles to town is "as the crow flies, but town could have been much further when walking... (my speculation)

Old Hiker
05-16-2011, 22:00
In ND and elsewhere, we were told to stay with the vehicle, that trying to walk out was probably the last thing you would do. Eventually someone would be by and rescue you. It doesn't seem likely that anyone would be out on this road, looking for anyone stranded. Education level had nothing to do with it.

Tipi Walter
05-16-2011, 22:06
In ND and elsewhere, we were told to stay with the vehicle, that trying to walk out was probably the last thing you would do. Eventually someone would be by and rescue you. It doesn't seem likely that anyone would be out on this road, looking for anyone stranded. Education level had nothing to do with it.

Even if there is a town three miles away?

Rocket Jones
05-17-2011, 06:09
Even if there is a town three miles away?
Yep. I spent five winters in ND and was constantly reminded to stay with the vehicle. That and always have a winter emergency kit in the vehicle too.

10-K
05-17-2011, 07:52
Stay with the vehicle? Walk out for help?

I wouldn't think either one would be right 100% of the time would it?

I mean, after a month or 2 of sitting in my car the thought of walking 3 miles to town would probably be something that would cross my mind from time to time.

John B
05-17-2011, 08:09
I'm with 10K on this one. After sitting around for a week or so, I'd start to think that no one was coming to save me and that I'd better try to do something myself, esp. if I had cold-weather gear, some food, and a rifle.

CNN's version of the story:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/17/stranded-man-documented-last-days-on-calendar-police-say/?hpt=C2

10-K
05-17-2011, 08:23
Yeah, and in all fairness I'm sure if it had been easy he would have done it.

Probably couldn't see the road, etc.

Now *that* would be a situation where a SPOT would come in *very* handy....

Tipi Walter
05-17-2011, 08:57
Yeah, and in all fairness I'm sure if it had been easy he would have done it.

Probably couldn't see the road, etc.

Now *that* would be a situation where a SPOT would come in *very* handy....

Or just a decent topo with a compass.

10-K
05-17-2011, 09:24
Or just a decent topo with a compass.

:)

I actually had that in my message but edited it out and changed it to the SPOT comment...

kayak karl
05-17-2011, 10:19
the Donner Party revisited. who knows what goes threw the minds of people lost, cold and hungry?

10-K
05-17-2011, 10:30
who knows what goes threw the minds of people lost, cold and hungry?

Twinkies and KFC I'd imagine. :)

JAK
05-17-2011, 10:30
I hope he was contented with life, and is resting peacefully with God.

Bare Bear
05-17-2011, 15:41
It reads like he did have food for a while, camped, fire, etc.