PDA

View Full Version : Mid July Hike

shemanese
05-15-2011, 11:03
Me and a buddy are planning a week hike in the Shenandoah NP in mid late July, I would like some advise on what section others would suggest for this time of year and some advise particular to this time of the year. Any advise is appreciated.

Joey C
05-15-2011, 14:03
2 years ago I hike the length of SNP in July, South to North. I saw 7 bears, enjoyed a delicioius breakfast at Big Meadows, and an awesome lunch with a blackberry milkshake at Elkwallow Wayside. I've hiked through the park several times, and most of the side trails. Hard to say one area is better than the other. It usually takes me 5 days to go end to end (Waynesboro to Front Royal). I'm sure you'll have an excellent hike! July is a nice time of the year, and the park is very active.

rubyvermonter
05-15-2011, 14:07
I am planning on hiking north to south in Shenandoah in early August (and continuing further south). I had planned on taking advantage of the waysides, restaurants and camp stores along the trail. What should I expect of the water conditions?

johnnybgood
05-15-2011, 14:39
I am planning on hiking north to south in Shenandoah in early August (and continuing further south). I had planned on taking advantage of the waysides, restaurants and camp stores along the trail. What should I expect of the water conditions?
Late summer as you might imagine is usually hot and dry and I suggest to camel up at every opportunity.
In addition to the waysides there are also spigots at the campgrounds and picnic areas so ample opportunties do exist .

* One caveat ; the water spigot at Thornton Gap rest area ( 31 milepost ) is still contaminated and unable to use. The park rangers have been leaving a gallon jug there with a note that this contains drinkable water.

The southern section , Blackrock Shelter and Calf Mt. Shelter have notoriously known to dry up before the others.

Hope this helps in your planning.

Blissful
05-15-2011, 17:57
Me and a buddy are planning a week hike in the Shenandoah NP in mid late July, I would like some advise on what section others would suggest for this time of year and some advise particular to this time of the year. Any advise is appreciated.

If you have a week, should be able to do the whole park from Rockfish Gap to rt 522, unless you want to sightsee and do side trips.

inabag
05-16-2011, 16:07
Buddy and I had to put our week in Glacier on the backburner so I am thinking about doing SNP from Rockfish to 66/Linden (117 miles) in early september. I am going to give myself a saturday to saturday schedule and see how it works out - I am expecting to finish early, that or enjoy some side trails or a zero.

Only thing I know about SNP in July, is it will be hot and buggy. I did a long weekend in early June last year and it was rough, and a couple day trips that were mad hot too.

johnnybgood
05-16-2011, 16:50
Only thing I know about SNP in July, is it will be hot and buggy. I did a long weekend in early June last year and it was rough, and a couple day trips that were mad hot too.
Last year was unusually hot and muggy in the mid-Atlantic region so hopefully it will be more temperate this year.

With that being said though , I'd still spray every article of outer clothing with permethin insect repellent .

The water situation is always a crapshoot. I've outlined above the reliable sources for water.

Good Luck !

Lemni Skate
05-17-2011, 08:18
July will indeed be hot even at 4000+ feet in Shenandoah. We've had a nice rainy spring so hopefully the springs will last longer than average, but things do dry out in July.

I did the entire AT in Shenandoah in 8 or 9 days three years ago. I enjoyed it immensely and I loved having the stops along the way. If you're trying to knock out miles of the AT this is a pleasant way to do it.

If you don't care how much of the AT you do, I'd suggest you get the PATC map of the Central Section of the park and hike a lot of the trails on the Eastern side of the AT. You can still work it out so you hit the Big Meadows and Skyland, but you can also add in Old Rag and White Oak Canyon(with it's marvelous watefalls).