PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for SOBO Hike - suggestions?

sc3275
05-15-2011, 13:00
Hey all,

Here's my first stab at a gear list for a SOBO starting at the end of June. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Backpack
Gregory 65
Bearbag (duffle) and 2-3 small stuff sacks

Tupperware
For snacks

Tent
MSR Hubba
Footprint
Hubba
Sleeping Bag
20 degree bag - north face
Bag Liner
Liner (5 degrees)
Sleeping Pad
Montbell
Pillow
Pillow
Warm Jacket
Mountain Hardware
Rain Jacket
Marmot
Fleece Pants

Shorts
2 pair
Shirt
2 synthetic

Long Underwear (mid)
1 pair
Gloves

Hat
North face
Hat
baseball hat

Shoes
2 pair, need 1 more
Camp Shoe
Tevas
Socks
3 dry pair, 1 wearing
Sock Liners
3 liners
Stove
MSR Whisperlite
Pot /Pan/Bag
REI Brand - lid doubles as frying pan
Spork

Mug

Spice Kit

Fuel
16oz bottle
Stove repair kit
MSR
Pot grip
Pot grip
Bottle
2 2L nalgenes
Drom

Aqua Mira

Pocket Knife
Leatherman
Compass

Trail Guide

Headlamp
2 Petlz
Wallet

phone and charger

Camera and charger

Rope
50ft of 5m rope
S caribiner
one
Seamgrip

Duct tape

Book

Bronners

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Hand Sanitizer

ChapStick
burts bees
Sunscreen

Vitamins

First Aid
Pepto, ib, ace(s), tape, scissors, ice, bacitracin, gauze, bandaids, moleskin

ShelterLeopard
05-15-2011, 13:30
Did you mean to post this twice? (I answered the other post). Just do a shake down- pack everything as you will be packing for your thru hike (INCLUDING the amount of food with which you'll need to start) and go do a two day test hike in the woods. Preferably in the rain.

naturejunkie
05-15-2011, 16:16
I'm going to be Sobo a couple weeks behind you. Look brother/sister, you can do whatever you think is best for you, but in my opinion you really should think about cutting this list down a bit.

I can't imagine a scenario heading South in late June where you're going to need fleece pants. Think in layers for your upper body also - base, mid, outer. You wont need a fleece top and a warm jacket. Cold weather = Shirt, Fleece, Rain jacket. When your not hiking, you can be in your sleeping bag if you hit a freak cold snap.

Go with two pairs of socks in the pack and one on the feet. Do you really need camp shoes and Tevas and another pair of shoes? That's a lot of weight.

Take either a pocket knife or a leatherman, not both.

Remember, you can always use a bounce box for extra gear, chargers and such.

Cheers!

ShelterLeopard
05-15-2011, 16:41
It really depends on your hike philosophy. Do you want to have a load on your back and be comfier in camp? Or would you rather have a spring in your step (well, less of a load on your back) but be without a few creature comforts at night? You decide. I did both. Sometimes I would have a bunch of "unnecessary" things like a frying pan, small pillow, mug, book, and even a parachute hammock (in addition to my tent), and then sometimes I would forward everything I didn't absolutely need and spend a few weeks hiking super light.

Blissful
05-15-2011, 17:47
No tupperware, use Ziplocs
One pair of convertible pants, leave shorts at home
Bring one fleece jacket or light jacket for colder nights at higher elevations
No sleeping bag liner needed or gloves
Crocs are enough for camp
Better have DEET and a headnet
Don't need seamgrip
Bring one lightweight long underwear for higher elevations, leave fleece pants at home
pocketknife only
whisperlight system is very heavy, consider a canister system like pocket rocket or snowpeak
compass is optional, imo
first aid kit - all you need is a few bandaids, small tube neosporin, maybe a small ace wrap, one small tube hydrocortisone for bites and PI, and duct tape. You have overkill on the kit - don;t need scissors, gauze, ice, moleskin (falls off)
one pot and one lexan spoon is all you need, don't need pot grips

ShelterLeopard
05-15-2011, 18:36
Agree on the pocketrocket- worked beautifully, was much lighter, and was much easier to use than the whisperlite.

Snowleopard
05-15-2011, 20:22
I agree with the above.
"Bag Liner
Liner (5 degrees)" With your 20 degree sleeping bag you don't need a liner for warmth.
"2 2L nalgenes
Drom" Does this mean some sort of dromedary water bag? Not needed. 2x2L nalgenes is more than you need; with the weather we've been having too little water won't be a problem.
Add DEET and a headnet.
Too many shoes and socks.
The whisperlight plus fuel bottle is heavy. A canister stove (gigapeak, etc.) is easy and lighter; you also have time to experiment with alcohol stoves.
For going through the higher elevations in ME and NH, especially the Presidentials, you do want warm clothes (bad conditions are 33F, 60mph wind and heavy rain); even there the fleece pants might be overkill. I would add rain pants for the above treeline part if rain threatened. I'm confused on just what your warm clothes are.

sc3275
05-16-2011, 22:02
Hi All,

Thanks so much for all of your advice (and for reminding me why you should proofread everything before posting). Here's a revised list

Gregory 65
Medium stuff sack as bear bag
MSR Hubba Tent
Sleeping Bag 20 degree north face
Montbell Sleeping Pad
Rain Jacket
Rain pants?
Midweight fleece pullover
Mountain hardware jacket (warm/synthetic)
2 pairs shorts
2 shirts
Long Underwear - top and bottom (midweight)
Gloves
Hat
baseball hat
Tevas for in camp
2-3 socks and liners
Pocket rocket stove
cookware - pot and lid that doubles as frying pan
Spork
Mug
2 2L nalgenes
Aqua Mira
Leatherman
Trail Guide
Headlamp
Wallet
phone and charger
Camera and charger
Rope 50ft of 5m rope
S caribiner
DEET
bugnet?
Book
Bronners
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Hand Sanitizer
ChapStick
Sunscreen
Vitamins
First Aid - Pepto, ib, ace(s), tape, neosporin, duct tape, gauze, bandaids,

naturejunkie
05-17-2011, 10:06
Consider two gatorade bottles instead of nalgenes. They are just as functional, plenty durable and weigh almost nothing, relative to a nalgene bottle. Plus, you can replace them periodically with new ones that are full of your favorite flavor.

Use a ziplock bag for your wallet. It's durable and will keep the contents dry. Plus you shave a few more ounces off.

I had a headnet with me in Maine in 2007 & 2008 and never used it. It's a matter of personal preference. Some people don't like putting Deet around their faces. But for me, deet did the job and I ended up sending the headnet home.

My sock methodology is one pair on the feet, one pair for sleeping only and one pair (the pair you wore the day before) drying on the outside of your pack after rinsing. For three total pairs. You'll never need more than two pairs of liners, one that your wearing and one that you wore the day before. Of course if it is raining a lot, you'll end up with damp/wet socks no matter what.

People poopoo sunglasses, but heading sobo you may find them useful, at least until you get to Vermont.