PDA

View Full Version : Arachnophobia...

Entropy2012
05-15-2011, 13:49
Okay, this is gonna sound ridiculous but uh... I really REALLY hate spiders. Like man, there's nothing on this earth I can't stand more. heck, gimme a bear/rattlesnake/murderous lunatic any day but walk face first into a spider web and I'll crumple into a screaming mess. :o

Anyone else have this problem? I'm kinda hoping I'll get over it out there, but if not... well it should be a laugh for everyone else at least (certainly is for my family!). Can't imagine it'll take very long to bag me a trail name. :p

sheepdog
05-15-2011, 13:54
Prepare to crumple a lot. Running into spider webs happens several times daily. I've never been hurt by a spider though. I use my hiking poles to knock the webs out of my way while I hike.

WingedMonkey
05-15-2011, 13:57
There are no spiders on the AT.

RGB
05-15-2011, 14:02
Ahhh, yes. Spiders.

I hate spiders. I don't really freak out about them as much anymore, but I cannot let them live once I see them. I got over a lot of my arachnophobia much in part thanks to the AT. Unless you're content sitting in a shelter half the day, you're going to be cruising and breaking through spider webs all morning long. Of course, you can always get a spider-stick and wave it in front of you as you move along. But this will slow you down and also make you look ridiculous. I used to make my poor friends walk in front of me to take the webs, but one trip I was alone, and didn't have a choice but to confront my fear. And I just got used to that horrible sensation of going through a web after awhile. It helps to think that virtually every web at that height does not contain spiders whose venom is harmful to humans. And most of the morning webs don't have spiders in them. They're just the left overs of spiders moving about in the night, finding a good place to sit and hunt the next day.

Shelters will have spiders too, but they never leave their webs, for the most part. I used to rid my shelters of spiders, but realized that that behavior was irrational, because they will eat misquitos and other pests that will bite you in the night.

Basically, it will probably be horrifying to you at first. But you'll overcome your fear by immersion. The experience is well worth it and you shouldn't let spiders stop you!

10-K
05-15-2011, 14:06
There are no spiders on the AT.

Virginia is flat and there are no rocks in PA either!

Rocket Jones
05-15-2011, 14:29
The only ones that really annoy me are the jumping saliva spiders that drink from the corner of your mouth at night. Fortunately, most of them are small enough that you don't actually feel them landing on your face.

I'm joking of course, but I used to be a serious wuss around spiders. I finally decided that as long as they don't startle me, they don't need to die.

Spirit Walker
05-15-2011, 16:36
Try not to be the first one on the trail in the morning. A lot of spiders seem to build webs overnight. Let somebody else break the webs across the trail.

Entropy2012
05-15-2011, 17:13
Ah, christ. Looks like it's gonna be a rough journey. :p

At least once I've been out there, everything back here will seem pretty tame. I think the worst we get are wolf spiders the size of your thumb. Which is bad enough!

Maybe I can just walk around in a hazmat suit. :banana

tolkien
05-15-2011, 18:38
I understand a certain amount of caution around poisionous spiders, but I never understood fear of bugs. I live near the new river, though, so I pretty much have been forced to adopt a peacful cohabilitation poilcy.

Also, look up on Black Widow habitat. They're nasty.

Tipi Walter
05-15-2011, 19:02
Two spider stories:

I had my pack sitting out by a tree for a couple days while I was basecamping, and on the third day had it loaded and flung it on my back. I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts, and a large tarantula-type spider run out of my pack, down my neck and left arm, jumped and went down my left leg. I saw it all but it all happened before I could scream.

Another time I had my shelter set up and had a sierra cup partially filled with tea sitting in the vestibule. At dusk I went back to the tent and bent over to drink the last of the tea and moved the cup to my lips and started sipping when I quickly saw a big butt wolf spider sitting inside the cup. I screamed like a 2 year old and flung the cup 20 feet away.

The weirdest thing I ever saw was a black snake stretched out on the ground with a black widow spider riding his tail. No kidding. At least we don't have funnel orb spiders or Brazilian wandering spiders.

TnSlowPoke
05-15-2011, 19:21
I HATE SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I act just as you all do when you see a spiders, I got over the spiders when my loving son lol brought a few (5) tarauntla spiders home a few years back as PETS. I did not know it till I saw them crawling on him. End of story.

TIDE-HSV
05-15-2011, 19:21
Virginia is flat and there are no rocks in PA either!

All water is safe to drink, no matter the color, food makes a wonderful pillow, and guys with long knives who mumble about stabbing someone are good company...

Toolshed
05-15-2011, 20:16
If you are short and don't hike early in the AM, you have no web worries. If you are either of those 2, be prepared to get a lot of face webs.

weary
05-15-2011, 20:30
Okay, this is gonna sound ridiculous but uh... I really REALLY hate spiders. Like man, there's nothing on this earth I can't stand more. heck, gimme a bear/rattlesnake/murderous lunatic any day but walk face first into a spider web and I'll crumple into a screaming mess. :o

Anyone else have this problem? I'm kinda hoping I'll get over it out there, but if not... well it should be a laugh for everyone else at least (certainly is for my family!). Can't imagine it'll take very long to bag me a trail name. :p
Someone once calculated that busting through all spider webs on the trail would consume the energy found in four Snickers.

You can save that energy through a simple technique. Never in the morning be the first out of a shelter or camping area. But never lag much behind an earlier person leaving. The plan is to have someone else bust all the spider webs, but to not give the spiders time to rebuild after someone walks through.

It's something like the technique I use when I need to break the highway speed limit. I just find someone going the speed I want to drive and stay just far enough behind that driver to allow the cops to be arresting him as I speed by.

smokymtnsteve
05-15-2011, 20:40
how about the policeman sneaking up behind you?

weary
05-15-2011, 21:15
how about the policeman sneaking up behind you?
That's why I have rear view mirrors. One can't remove all risks. But every bit helps.

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2011, 21:20
Wait how about glasses that look behind you while you are on the trail?

tolkien
05-15-2011, 22:06
...and guys with long knives who mumble about stabbing someone are good company...
Ah, I see that thread is spreading.

Shooting Star
05-15-2011, 22:17
There's little that's grosser than getting a face web with the spider
still in it. Eeeeeew!

Walkintom
05-15-2011, 22:29
I really dislike spiders too.

There is something so very WRONG about a monster with eight eyes, eight legs, and coordination for all of that.

I dislike the webs in the face mainly because I am always wondering if I have the spider on me after I wrapped the web around my head.

When on the trail I mostly just man up and deal with it. Unless of course someone else just happens to be available to collect silk with their face instead.

TIDE-HSV
05-15-2011, 23:51
I really dislike spiders too.

There is something so very WRONG about a monster with eight eyes, eight legs, and coordination for all of that.

I dislike the webs in the face mainly because I am always wondering if I have the spider on me after I wrapped the web around my head.

When on the trail I mostly just man up and deal with it. Unless of course someone else just happens to be available to collect silk with their face instead.
A couple of times, I have ended up with the spider in my hair. Very unnerving...

HockeyGirl
05-16-2011, 07:31
I will add my general fear of massive spiders and especially snakes (bearing in mind we don't really see any in the UK).

And then sound even more stupid by the fact that I handle these animals regularly as part of my job and have no problems with captive ones - but the outdoorsy ones scare the living daylights out of me! :o

Carbo
05-16-2011, 07:44
Only time I really don't like spiders is when they are still wiggling in my mouth after taking a big bite of food. Dead is ok though.

Lemni Skate
05-16-2011, 07:46
My daughter loves to be the first one up and hiking. She also likes to lead the way when she hikes. I think her trail name should be "Websweeper", but she refuses the name.

Pedaling Fool
05-16-2011, 08:36

You're not going to want to stay in the shelters, some examples:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/black_widow.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=27287&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6936)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/3-06-08_170.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=26233&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6936)

However, you also have to be very careful with your tent. I once set mine up, I'm always careful not to leave the door open, but this one time don't know what happened, never saw it, but one got in. Later that night as I was falling a sleep I saw what looked to be a leaf (yes, he was that big) on my tent top; you know how images have that intriguing look when you can't really see them clearly in the night. As I kept looking at it it seemed to be getting closer and I'm thinking my eyes are really playing tricks on me. But it got to a point where I was certain it was right in front of my face, so I turn on a light and it was a freakin' big ass spider dangling from his web just inches from my face. I'm not afraid of spiders, but for a second I do believe I suffered from arachnophobia:D

I carefully grabbed his web and slung him out the door, great plan, but the web got stuck to my fingers and he was repelled back onto the floor of my tent...long story short I finally got him out, but was a little hard to fall a sleep that night.

Entropy2012
05-16-2011, 09:18
Wow, did you take those photos? :eek:

Funny thing is, I've never intentionally killed a spider. As much as they freak me out, I've got a healthy respect for them. That, coupled with the fact that you won't get me within 20 feet of them at home...

I think this thread actually made it worse. Why did I post this again? :p

Tipi Walter
05-16-2011, 09:40
The thing is, how many backpackers or hikers have actually SEEN a black widow spider in the woods?? I don't mean by a road or next to a doublewide trailer or in a stacked woodpile or by a house or under some tin or in some cinder blocks, etc. I mean actually out in the woods or along the AT during a backpacking trip? I never have, of course I don't go looking for them, and the forest is a big place with alot of dead leaves and scattered blowdowns.

Bare Bear
05-17-2011, 16:00
Funny how the beards help catch the webs too. I made a game out of it and had 26 one morning in VA

Migrating Bird
05-17-2011, 16:48
Try not to be the first one on the trail in the morning. A lot of spiders seem to build webs overnight. Let somebody else break the webs across the trail.

+1 it can get real comical when you and your buddy start out in the morning and both of you are trying to futz around, not obviously of course, just so you will not be the first one down the trail:rolleyes:

CaptChaos
05-17-2011, 18:43
The only ones that really annoy me are the jumping saliva spiders that drink from the corner of your mouth at night. Fortunately, most of them are small enough that you don't actually feel them landing on your face.

I'm joking of course, but I used to be a serious wuss around spiders. I finally decided that as long as they don't startle me, they don't need to die.

Ah Dude:

You kidding me right, now I have to add this bad boy to my list of spiders to avoid.

My spider list just keeps getting longer and longer ........

Capt Chaos

:eek:

Beachcomber
05-17-2011, 19:22
+1 it can get real comical when you and your buddy start out in the morning and both of you are trying to futz around, not obviously of course, just so you will not be the first one down the trail:rolleyes:

Another reason to carry a staff: It's out in front of your face, so collects any webs you'd rather not have in your beard, your nose, etc.

TIDE-HSV
05-17-2011, 19:31
Another reason to carry a staff: It's out in front of your face, so collects any webs you'd rather not have in your beard, your nose, etc.

You can actually just carry one hiking stick vertically and slanted towards the front until there's been some traffic. Occasionally, a really big web will wrap around it far enough to hit your face, but that's rare. Years ago, I remember hiking up out of one our local "hair creeks" after kayaking it - about 1/4 mile steeply up. I was steadying my kayak on my head with one hand and carrying my paddle in the other, leaving no way to fend the webs and spiders off. After spitting a couple out, I quit. I jumped off the trail and told my buds that it was time for somebody else to lead for a while...

Tinker
05-17-2011, 21:54
I've been bitten by spiders (not black widows or brown recluses, though), and I've had the typical dead tissue oozing gunk on a couple of occasions and the resulting scars, but, frankly, I'm still fascinated by them, and I'm convinced that if I hadn't compressed them inside my clothing or sleeping bag they would never have bitten (it was self-defense).
There's nothing like lying on your back in a shelter (no, I don't use them anymore - for sleeping at least, unless I can hang my hammock inside) and looking up to see hundreds of little blue eyes looking back at you. I don't find it scary in the least (but that's just me).
Give it time and you'll get over it.

Sierra Echo
05-17-2011, 22:12
I use to be scared of spiders til I started delivering the mail and then I got over it. Ive found every kind of spider imaginable in mailboxes and that includes black widows. One of my more upscale neighborhoods have brick encased mailboxes that get infested with black widows this time of year. The only thing that grosses me out is when I go to open a mailbox and find some kind of furry spider hanging out under the little handle. But I generally check as I pull up.

Erin
05-17-2011, 22:51
Great post thread! I am really terrified of spiders but not snakes at all. When I was a kid at summer camp I got bit by a recluse in my bunk. Ugly. It was just there. Well, they are not aggressive and no spiders are so now instead of tearing all my clothes off when I find a spider on me, I started learning more about them so I would not be a freak about them. But I am all over my taller hiker friends going first on the AM trail. The coolest thing is that a friend taught us how to shine our lights at night to find their eyes at night in the grass. They are everywhere. I have just learned how to deal with them. I live in a old house and ID every spider. I am still scared of them but just don't go beserk now. I say...oh orb weaver. You live. Brown recluse, you die.

moytoy
05-18-2011, 06:40
Mornings I just knock the web down with my hand but by mid afternoon I'm too tired to care and just plow through. Even if the spider gets on you it will soon jump off since you are most likely to big to eat.

Entropy2012
05-18-2011, 18:23
There's nothing like lying on your back in a shelter (no, I don't use them anymore - for sleeping at least, unless I can hang my hammock inside) and looking up to see hundreds of little blue eyes looking back at you.

They are everywhere... I say...oh orb weaver. You live. Brown recluse, you die.

I think these points pretty much turned me off EVER sleeping in shelters or getting up to do my business in the night. :eek:

Can't wait! :p