PDA

View Full Version : Wingnut Booted me!!!

Todd Kirkendol
01-27-2005, 19:53
Just thought that yall might get a laugh that Wingfooted booted me off trail place for respectfully disagreeing with him about the "purpose" of a thru-hike. I was replying to a tread that was in response to a fellow hiker who was obviously excited about attending trail days. Wingfoot told the guy...trail days shouldnt be a factor in anyone's AT thru hike. I responed to Wingnut...Hike your on hike...and dont let anyone tell you what makes a "good" decision for deciding to thru hike the AT. Then...no longer register user....

dje97001
01-27-2005, 19:58
Well... join the club. :welcome

Previous threads will list all of those people (including myself) who are no longer welcome (or wish to be) at that other site.

AbeHikes
01-27-2005, 20:02
I have to say, I've spent about 10 seconds on that website and I thought the guy was a big turd burglar. What I've seen posted here (if it's all true) just confirms it.

I read one of his threads on cell phone usage (a hotly-debated topic, I know) and I swear, if he happened to confront me on/near/whatever the trail using a cell phone in the way he described, something attached to him would go crunch.

I agree that people should abstain from noisy electronic devices while hiking, but his proclamation regarding what he "would do" brings out the "oh yeah?" in me.

hikerjohnd
01-27-2005, 20:54
I just got booted today too! Here is why:

Wingnut: Yes, I moved you to guest status when you called me "shortsighted" about Bill Bryson. I'm not interested in having a discussion on Bryson in the forum.

My response: So the expression of an opinion is forbidden on your website? I feel sorry for you if your ego can not take the free expression of someone's opinion. The theory you seem to operate under is that your ideas are supreme and all others offering opposing viewpoints should be suppressed (case in point, my posting - 1 comment and I have been relegated to a lower status) Your attitude is reminiscent of mid century dictators - Wingfoot, get a grip - your site will wither and die if it is not allowed to grow through free discussion. The chosen title, Forums, indicates that it is a public meeting place for open discussion (by definition). Evidently, this is not its intended purpose as you have chosen to be the dictating entity in the discussions. I suggest a different format, one that more truly represents what is actually occurring on your website. Your decision to censor opposing points of view means you truly do not have a forum, but desire a homogenization of your own thought.<o:p></o:p>

I don't think he will be reactivating my membership anytime soon.

Oh well - I like it here better anyway!

--John:banana:banana:banana :banana

<tt>
</tt>

Morning Glory
01-27-2005, 20:59
Yes, I'm a member of that club too. He was opposed to me wanting to offer some trail magic because it turns the trail into a circus atmosphere. I reassured him that what I had planned would be far from a circus atmosphere...next thing I know, I'm banned. Oh well, it's his website and he can do with it as he pleases.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2005, 21:03
Reminds me of those Hornsby lyrics, "That's just the way it is...some things'll never change..."

grandview
01-27-2005, 21:34
I get a kick out of how his site is soley for the purpose of discussing the True Purpose of the AT...but if you notice, one of his "forums" is titled Americans in Exile in America (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/forum_display.php?id=96)
A place where those in the A.T. community who reject the Bush/Cheney vision for America can find fellowship (no "Bush Davidians" here, please)!

Someone's a few irons short in the old golf bag.

A-Train
01-27-2005, 21:56
Guys, don't get your panties all in a bunch. 95% or more of Whiteblazers here have been kicked off his site. It's his party and he can cry if he wants to. At times I see where he's coming from and I admire him for taking a stand and being an individual. Sure I don't agree with the way he goes along with it, but the point is, he's not torturing anyone or making them use his site, just like he doesn't make anyone buy his guidebooks.

Definately don't wanna re-hash this argument for the millionth time. Rest assured your at a better, more interesting, more accepting site and leave it at that!

grandview
01-27-2005, 21:58
the a-train has spoken...all others be silent

Lone Wolf
01-27-2005, 22:04
A-Train speaks the truth.

grandview
01-27-2005, 22:17
who said otherwise

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2005, 22:18
Gotta dis-agree with A-Train's last comment. Whiteblaze has almost 5,000 members here and I have trouble believing that 4500 of them have been tossed off another A.T. website. I think that figure is ridiculously high. Most Whiteblaze folks are here because it's the best informational site on the Internet, and not because they were tossed out of somebody else's private party.

True, there are probably a bunch of folks here who were in fact booted off the site in question. And there are others, like myself, who left that site
voluntarily.

Likewise, there are folks here at Whiteblaze who have never visited the other site; just as there are probably folks here who choose to visit both sites.

And that's as it should be; people should be able to seek out and exchange information at all sorts of locations. And people need to know that different A.T. sites operate differently, with different levels of administrative control. Some, in my opinion, have too much control. Some, regrettably, have too little. Some, like this one, (at least in my opinion), seem to have it just right.

I encourage folks, especially new-comers to the Trail community, to keep an open mind and visit all sorts of sites; you'll find all sorts of perspectives and all sorts of information, and I'm sure everyone is capable of deciding for themselves which sites are worth their time and which ones aren't. Different places will appeal to different people, and this is as it should be.

Instead of people spending so much time discussing other sites and other site administrators, I think it's far more positive for folks to concentrate more on why they go to sites this this in the first place: To learn, to teach, to share information, and to help others.

minnesotasmith
01-27-2005, 22:32
Or any other site: www.alexa.com (http://www.alexa.com) . Just input the URL into the search box, and off you go. I particularly find the 2 year/page view combo to be illustrative; the only site of consequence I ever got booted from is at about half of what it used to be according to Alexa.:clap

Caleb
01-27-2005, 22:42
WF keeps getting weirder...His is a very fearful and non-trusting take on the hiker community. I subscribed years ago when he was apparently only half as schizto as he is now. i never managed to get kicked off, just got bored with the straightjacketed exchanges. it is too bizzare...he seems to be exiled from his own self-determenied exile: he abhors Bush, yet in style they're no different. they are brothers in arms. i understand the need to be militant about protecting the AT, but top-down suppression of free exchange is supremely counterproductive. For instance, rather than attempt to dictate cell phone behavior, free discussion could have the effect of pulling hikers into an even broader concensus on the subject. ok, no more from me C

A-Train
01-27-2005, 23:04
Jack is right, I pulled the number out of my behind, I just figured no one took me serious here or I wouldn't get caught.

I'll leave the hard number facts to "Dewie" and "Blue Wacko"

What I should have said were, a lot of people were booted that use this site regularly. Many of our 5000 members never say anything or use this site.

Newb
01-27-2005, 23:54
Apparently this "Wingfoot" would hate me. I'm a Republican who is considering purchasing some A.T. land for the conservancy. The entire thought would probably cause him to have a seizure.

Totally Different Subject
01-28-2005, 00:01
would it be considered tacky for a guy to register with trailplace.com for the sole purpose of professing a guys love for the Republican Party, America and President George W. Bush?

TDS

feeling a little onery.

Tractor
01-28-2005, 00:24
...and I also visit WF's site from time to time. Years from now neither might exist and one or two or three other sites may take the place. Who knows how they will be. I, fur one, think just about any of us who visit either site are a bit daft and to be kicked off one or the other is no big deal. Badge of Courage or some such. What are we interested in in the the first place, hmmm? Does it matter who we voted for prez., our opinion on some such or the other, our stance on rubber tips on hiking poles, cell phones vs. future in hell, dogs on the trail vs. dogs on the grill, hammocks & shelters & tents oh my, food-in-my-tent vs. food-in-my-belly vs. food-in-a-tree.... I get carried away..... It's all interesting and if it isn't, i skip forward or skip over it all together. Peace (haven't said that in a few...)!

rocket04
01-28-2005, 01:50
I found trailplace.com prior to my hike and didn't know about Whiteblaze.net (don't know how that happened). My greatest source of information for my hike was trailplace, so I'm confident in saying that even though I'm not a cheerleader for Wingfoot's methods, it's still and excellent site with lots of info. Choose what you prefer and move on.

TakeABreak
01-28-2005, 02:07
I got booted off, a couple of times myself, the first time I thought it was a computer thing, but then I realized after the second time,, that it was just too co-incidental with post I made, so please do not feel like the lone ranger.

steve hiker
01-28-2005, 02:20
I have to say, I've spent about 10 seconds on that website and I thought the guy was a big turd burglar.
LOL. :clap That anything like a butt pirate?

Totally Different Subject
01-28-2005, 02:34
Hey Ottawa, Rocket...

Is your favorite band The Tragically Hip? A big canadian band. I love them. In fact, the best show I ever saw, was Tragically Hip at Fillmore in San Francisco back in 2002. After several shots and 100th Meridian I felt I was living lavidaloco in Canada with all the Canadian flags. A rant, yes....but only Canadians appreciate my love of the great band.

Sorry my French is so rusty. Lots of love.

TDS

ffstenger
01-28-2005, 03:02
I signed on to T.P. before I found White blaze, and as a "nobody, section hiker"
I found that my posts and I were very much given the cold shoulder. So here
I am, now warm and happy, and being educated on all things AT. Hope to meet some of you White Blazers next time I'm on the trail (Sept 05) Showme

Ramble~On
01-28-2005, 05:45
I hadn't even thought about TP until this thread.
I just stopped by TP and my opinion of the site remains unchanged.
I doubt I'll be back. I am not going to knock WF or his site or his books.
He's WF.
It does seems to me though that a good deal of the time he is posting to himself.
As far as kicking people off his site for sharing or stating opinions...well, maybe that's why it looks to me that he mostly posts to himself.:-?

AbeHikes
01-28-2005, 08:17
LOL. :clap That anything like a butt pirate?
Not intentionally. I just like it because it rhymes somewhat. If you've ever been hiking or hunting with dogs and had to relieve yourself in the wild, you know what a turd burglar is. You'd think it was a Scooby Snack.

The Cheat
01-28-2005, 08:51
Not intentionally. I just like it because it rhymes somewhat. If you've ever been hiking or hunting with dogs and had to relieve yourself in the wild, you know what a turd burglar is. You'd think it was a Scooby Snack.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=turd+burglar&defid=320058

hwbout
01-28-2005, 09:11
I have to say, I've spent about 10 seconds on that website and I thought the guy was a big turd burglar. What I've seen posted here (if it's all true) just confirms it.

I read one of his threads on cell phone usage (a hotly-debated topic, I know) and I swear, if he happened to confront me on/near/whatever the trail using a cell phone in the way he described, something attached to him would go crunch.

I agree that people should abstain from noisy electronic devices while hiking, but his proclamation regarding what he "would do" brings out the "oh yeah?" in me.
That thread about the cellphone was the one that got me booted off his site. I couldn't believe his description about what he would do if he came a cross a person using a cell phone. It makes me want to carry a plastic toy cellphone on my hike in the hopes of seeing him on the trail, just so I can pull it out, pretend to talk and see if he really does go bizerk.

tlbj6142
01-28-2005, 10:07
My greatest source of information for my hike was trailplace it's still and excellent site with lots of info.This points out something that Whiteblaze is woefully lacking in. Generic articles/FAQs.

Several simple disertations on gear selection, cooking/food, supplies points (we actually have this one covered), etc. That are easy to locate on the front page would go a long way to making WB a better landing pad for first timers. As it stands now, the forum is the only resource. While an excellent one, its not the best medium for those who just want casual answers and/or 10,000' views on a topic.

Start with some sort of generic article and provide built in links (on certain keywords) that generate up-to-date forum searches. That would be a great start.

TJ aka Teej
01-28-2005, 10:52
would it be considered tacky for a guy to register with trailplace.com for the sole purpose of professing a guys love for the Republican Party, America and President George W. Bush?
In a word, Yes. Just as tacky as Trailplace members who come here to be disruptive. Wingy's site isn't about the Appalachian Trail, it's about Wingfoot. If you want to participate in that, you should follow his rules. When he ruled that Trailplace members must use his letterbot to send political letters of his choice through trailplace.con or be banished, I decided not to follow that rule and stopped using his site. The stats on Alexa illustrate how unsuccessful Wingy's approach has been lately, and how positive the numbers are for WhiteBlaze. The trend shows the AT Internet Community has decided for themselves the relative value of the two sites. :clap

oldfivetango
01-28-2005, 11:54
Apparently this "Wingfoot" would hate me. I'm a Republican who is considering purchasing some A.T. land for the conservancy. The entire thought would probably cause him to have a seizure. I dunno-after he booted me i weasled in under another name and
ordered his book.I'm sure he would just die to know he took some Republican
Money(made in manufacturing at the expense of the environment i might add).
Then on the other hand,he himself harms the environment everytime he purchases any manufactured goods or turns on a light switch.
The man obviously has power and control issues and is totally irrational.
That said,however, he would be surprised to know we agree on LOTS of issues.But he will never know that because he stifles free speech and the
exchange of opinions and ideas ,so.................LET THE MAN AND HIS SITE
JUST WITHER UP AND DIE ON THE VINE!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers to all,
Oldfivetango:bse

rocket04
01-28-2005, 11:55
Is your favorite band The Tragically Hip? No, Jack Johnson actually. :D I'm know of The Tragically Hip, but not much. I dig the song Wheat Kings, that's about it.

Sorry my French is so rusty. Lots of love. Ottawa is in Ontario, which is mostly English-speaking, so you probably shouldn't assume somebody from Ottawa would speak French. But you lucked out on this one because I'm from Ottawa but my dad's from Montreal so I do speak French.

camich
01-28-2005, 11:57
I guess it's all just a matter of preference but I like the way WB is set up a lot better that TP. It seems to me there's a lot more clicking required to find what you're looking for at TP. I'll admit I haven't spent much time there and that's probably because of the book advertising and political statements. I also find TP hard to see and read. I'm not blind but the fonts are small and the colors don't have much contrast. There are useful forums with great information at TP but I personally just prefer WB. Thanks Attroll and Sgt Rock (and everyone who contributes to this site)!

BlackCloud
01-28-2005, 12:37
Gotta dis-agree with A-Train's last comment. Whiteblaze has almost 5,000 members here and I have trouble believing that 4500 of them have been tossed off another A.T. website. I think that figure is ridiculously high.

Jack, I'm sure the guy said 95% as a figure of speach. And oh Jack, 500 of 5,000 isn't 5% man..........:-?

food
01-28-2005, 12:57
I think the name Wingnut is mean.

I prefer Uni-hiker because it is very descriptive. :clap

BlackCloud
01-28-2005, 15:19
SO all this rambling on about the nut-of-Wing sparked me to take a closer look @ the site in question.

What I found was that our boy Wingnut is a proud member of several groups, including the ACLU. Needless to say, I was greatly amused to see a guy who lists the ACLU as one of his groups to be so intolerant of others' opinions; but not surprised................

Mountain Dew
01-28-2005, 16:22
Gee A-Train..... And I even stayed out of this topic thus far. ;)

I know you meant no ill will A-Trainey. :D

max patch
01-28-2005, 18:02
WF's rules are clearly stated and you agree to follow them when you register at his site. If you are unable to comply with what you agreed to and get booted...you have no basis to bitch and moan about it. It's your problem not his.

max patch
01-28-2005, 18:04
What I found was that our boy Wingnut is a proud member of several groups, including the ACLU.

Well, based upon the political debates on this site at election time I'd hazzard a guess that a substantial majority of this sites members support the ACLU (American Criminal Liberties Union).

TJ aka Teej
01-28-2005, 18:33
Well, based upon the political debates on this site at election time
Thanks Max, for reminding us that suppression of free debate is yet another reason why trailplace.con is circling the drain.

icemanat95
01-28-2005, 19:05
I've been botted off a few different incarnations of Wingfoot's site. I stopped bothering to go back as I started feeling like I was beating my head against a wall, and as they say, if it hurts when you do that...STOP DOING THAT!

Wingfoot's outspoken and quite frankly, irrational, political bashing prompted me to wash my hands completely. I have no time for zealots on either side. Yeah I know some of you think I'm a right wing zealot, but you don't know me very well.

max patch
01-28-2005, 19:10
Wingfoot's outspoken and quite frankly, irrational, political bashing prompted me to wash my hands completely

I find it ironic that most of WF's severest critics are in bed with him politically.

TJ aka Teej
01-28-2005, 19:52
I find it ironic that most of WF's severest critics are in bed with him politically.
Actually, Wingy's politics are Fascist in nature. One message, one messenger, no questioning of the message or messenger. That puts him in bed with Ann Coulter, Karl Rove, and President Cheney.

steve hiker
01-28-2005, 19:52
What I found was that our boy Wingnut is a proud member of several groups, including the ACLU. Needless to say, I was greatly amused to see a guy who lists the ACLU as one of his groups to be so intolerant of others' opinions....
Wingfoot is probably an ACLU member because of the ACLU's support for gay rights.

AbeHikes
01-28-2005, 20:41
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=turd+burglar&defid=320058
How 'bout that. I learned something today.

Tractor
01-28-2005, 22:09
I not only visited that site but read all three pages. Geez. What one can learn on the net.......

Mountain Dew
01-28-2005, 23:02
Ann Coulter shares political views with Wingfruit ? I DOUBT IT...

Jack Tarlin
01-29-2005, 13:15
Geez, this political, nasty, personal stuff is getting kind of tiresome.

And Teej, you should give the computer a rest maybe, and get an eye exam.

You mentioned a few folks with whom Wingfoot is in bed, at least politically.

Being in bed with Ann Coulter, either politically or otherwise, doesn't seem to me like such a horrible prospect.

I wonder if she hikes....

weary
01-29-2005, 13:28
Wingfoot's main interests are the AT and politics. He has strong views about both. He has chosen to create an internet site that reflects his strong beliefs on both subjects and to exclude contrary beliefs.

That is his right. It may make him unwise, but it doesn't make him evil.

Weary

wacocelt
01-29-2005, 13:45
As much as I may disagree with Wingfoot's ideals and political ethics about the trail, I disagree equally as much much with the fact that the 'booted' immediately run here to air the dirty laundry.

The only way the disgruntled Wingfootians can bring down thier tyrannical AT demon is to produce a more informative and helpful Thru-Hiker guide. Preaching to the choir only makes for more long-winded and utterly redundant threads like this one.

Keeping his name bouncing around like a hot potato every few weeks only fuels his reputation and validates his ego. There is no such thing as bad publicity...

orangebug
01-29-2005, 13:50
You are so correct. Folks will come to vent about getting booted by him, just as they'll complain to their barkeep about their old bag. The problem persists in those, like me, who will repeat their story of woe and continue the perception that the AT community is binary - WF haters or WF disciples.

There are a few things more important, such as whether trekking poles really chip away at bedrock along the AT.

steve hiker
01-29-2005, 14:20
Baaaaaaah ... let 'em vent. Wingfoot's a public figure, and he probably enjoys the attention. Besides Orangebug, as a psychologist (or whatever) you should know it's better to get it off your chest.

SGT Rock
01-29-2005, 18:44
Don't you guys ever get tired of this? These WF threads tend to get out of hand and Troll or I end up closing them. Hey, how about writing an article for the whiteblaze to help newbies? Sounds better than moaning about WF:D

Rocks 'n Roots
01-30-2005, 01:26
People have to understand that Wingfoot emphasizes a strict formal interpretation of the AT. It's all spelled out in his restrictions. Whether that is good for either him, the Trail, or his views is up to debate. One thing is clear from reading these posts, few understand exactly why Wingfoot is kicking them off. Sometimes I'm not sure either. He wants people to tow the line on a "traditional" AT viewpoint that backs its wilderness purpose. He's said publicly that if that means he's the only one doing it then so be it. I think he's tired of explaining his views to people who aren't really interested anyway. The real shame here is that these persons usually end up not realizing he was saying some very credible AT things...

I'm not sure which side exactly the closed mindedness and spite comes from though...

neo
01-30-2005, 03:22
a guy i know at rei a thru hiker 2003,said he visited wingfoot in 1999 in hotsprings,wingfoot slammed the door in his face when he asked him if he had his book aka thru-hiker handbook,when he said no he did not have his book,another person a trail angel i met told me that at trail days wingfoot and his BOY FRIEND made a big scene when they got drunk and had a lovers quarrel,
so i guess that makes wingfoot a root gobbler lol.yuck:sun neo

orangebug
01-30-2005, 08:27
Any chance that at least Neo's note could go away?

The Old Fhart
01-30-2005, 09:04
This entire thread should disappear.

oldfivetango
01-30-2005, 09:25
This entire thread should disappear. Yup-we need to drop this thread because just like other people i know-everybody that knows him knows what he is-no changing that for sure.
I would like to hear more about bear sightings,bear behavior,tarp pitching,
cold weather hiking and survival,ways to improve alcohol stove efficiency,
what foods give the most bang in calories for the weight,stuff like that.
Maybe a thread on accidents and first aid procedures if anyone has experienced that kind of thing-in short-lets have some hiking stuff!
Cheers to all,
Oldfivetango:bse