PDA

View Full Version : Good compression sack for sleeping bag?

tolkien
05-15-2011, 18:52
I bought the perfect bag. 88in by 29in, synthetic, cheap, 2lbs, sturdy. It's great. But the bag it came in is a POS. Is there a good compression sack on the market that can reduce my bag to something like 18in by 12in? Personal experience?

map man
05-15-2011, 19:02
I have a Sea to Summit compression roll-top waterproof sack where the bottom is made of e-vent so you don't need a valve to release air. Mine has a 9 inch circumference and 20 inch length (you can get different sizes). I can compress my 15 degree 3+ pound synthetic bag down to around a 13 inch length if I have to, though I prefer not to compress it that much. It's worked well for me.

Here's a link:

http://www.rei.com/product/730882/sea-to-summit-event-compression-dry-sack

schnikel
05-15-2011, 20:26
I agree, Sea to summit has the best and lightest. Expect to pay a lot unless you make your own. The bags I have bought for my wifes sleeping bag anf our tent were 30$+ for each. I suggest taking the bag into the store and stuff it into the sack so you know you but the right size. I haven't used the e-vent yet but think it would be an improvement, so I'd go for that.
Schnikel

innermountain
05-15-2011, 21:34
I LOVE Granite Gear's compression bags

flemdawg1
05-15-2011, 21:44
I love this one. Relatively same price as Sea to Summit but much lighter.
http://www.rei.com/product/797362/granite-gear-uberlight-drysack

tolkien
05-15-2011, 22:04
I have a Sea to Summit compression roll-top waterproof sack where the bottom is made of e-vent so you don't need a valve to release air. Mine has a 9 inch circumference and 20 inch length (you can get different sizes). I can compress my 15 degree 3+ pound synthetic bag down to around a 13 inch length if I have to, though I prefer not to compress it that much. It's worked well for me.

Here's a link:

http://www.rei.com/product/730882/sea-to-summit-event-compression-dry-sack
Would I be able to fit my 88x29 into a Medium(18x8) size, or would I need a Large(20x9)?

map man
05-15-2011, 23:50
It's not so much the dimensions of the sleeping bag, but the bulkiness, that will determine the proper stuff sack size. You mentioned in the original post that this bag weighs just 2 pounds. If that's true, I would think it would fit fine in the 8 x 18 stuff sack (my 3 pound, 4 ounce bag fits easily in the Large 20 liter sack and takes up less volume than the Medium 15 liter sack once I really compress it down) . That's just a guess, though.

Jonnycat
05-16-2011, 00:58
I LOVE Granite Gear's compression bags

I have one I used to use, until I realized I didn't need the additional weight in my pack. Of course this was when I was still using a 5 pound sleeping bag. :eek:

10-K
05-16-2011, 07:18
I put mine in a cuben stuff sack I bought from zpacks.com. Works great, weighs virtually nothing.

Spokes
05-16-2011, 08:30
I used a Sea-To-Summit compression sack for years before discovering I ended up getting so much more room inside my pack when I just stuffed it. That way the bag conformed to every possible void. Not so with the "solid as a brick" compression sack. You may prefer that of course....

general
05-16-2011, 10:57
your pack is a compression sack. i use two large sil stuff sacks, no compression straps. it fills the pack nicely. looks tidy too.

Blissful
05-16-2011, 13:01
I used Granite Gear's compression sack, - the airvent drybloc. I had more room in my pack using one than not (and I have done both) as it was in a more compact space

Rocket Jones
05-16-2011, 13:11
I put a trash compactor bag into my pack, stuf my quilt and sleeping clothes into it, then squeeze as much air as possible out of it before twisting and banding the neck of the bag shut. That way it's protected from moisture, conforms to and fills the bottom of my pack, and is still somewhat compressible if heavier gear gets packed on top of it.