PDA

View Full Version : So, can I hike the CT in May?

Mags
05-15-2011, 19:02
Every year, there seems to be a series of questions on forums (and to my e-mail) about hiking the Colo Trail in May and into early-mid June.

Northern Colorado (many areas where the CT/CDT goes through) is 130%+ snowpack this year as of May 1st (See attached map)

One thing to see raw numbers and a graph, another thing to see a photo! So here is a photo from today. Show is my buddy Matt on a trail in the James Peak wilderness. A little north of the Colo Trail, but a good representation of what may be found at around 10k feet or so up near the Continental Divide in Colorado. We headed back around 11:30 am as the snow was getting slush. I can't imagine snowshoeing through this all day. Not that it CAN't be done..just is not fun for most people (physically challenging, navigational challenges, slower pace so more food is needed in addition to the increased calorie burn). :sun

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/228052_10150253746900021_563440020_9074616_5302108 _n.jpg

Snowshoeing in this type of snow (slushy, concrete like) all day is HARD and exhausting.

Just saying it may be wise to wait until the end of June (or even a little later) to start a hike of the CT from Denver if the snow does not melt out faster. :sun

file:///C:/Users/ADMINI%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.png

schnikel
05-15-2011, 21:11
Every year, there seems to be a series of questions on forums (and to my e-mail) about hiking the Colo Trail in May and into early-mid June.

Just saying it may be wise to wait until the end of June (or even a little later) to start a hike of the CT from Denver if the snow does not melt out faster. :sun
Leave it to you to try though! Seems the same in the sierras and all of the west this year.
Schnikel

Mags
05-16-2011, 18:59
Leave it to you to try though! Seems the same in the sierras and all of the west this year.
Schnikel

Not I. No desire to hike in these type of conditions. :)

I am going to the Sangres in New Mexico over Mem Day Weekend just because of all the snow (and I really, really, want to backpack).

Mags
05-16-2011, 19:23
....and this really useful link was just posted on the CTF website:
http://www.coloradotrail.org/snowandweather.html

fiddlehead
05-16-2011, 20:48
I was the first one through the CT one year (I think it was 2000 when i started in early June. It wasn't as much snow as in your pics Mags, but at times it was a lot.
But, I was there for training and map/compass/GPS skills so, it was good for me.
I did half the trail and then had to go to Idaho for a month that year.
The biggest difference, I thought, was seeing the trail a month later wilth people hiking all over the place.
I actually preferred having it to myself, but trouncing through snow and often going wherever I wanted.
But it is a different game. that's for sure.

Mags
05-16-2011, 21:10
I actually preferred having it to myself, but trouncing through snow and often going wherever I wanted.
But it is a different game. that's for sure.

Indeed on both accounts. For the experienced, physically fit person it can be a wonderful (if difficult) time. For most people coming out here in May or early June? Not so much. :o

bearcreek
05-17-2011, 11:17
It's become a very busy trail. September is really nice and usually without snow or many people.