PDA

View Full Version : Good knife to take on the trail.

tolkien
05-15-2011, 22:20
As a tool, I should say. Something light, low cost, and fixed blade.

Reid
05-15-2011, 22:35
I think the gerber gator II has version with a fixed blade.

Reid
05-15-2011, 22:36
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=gerber+gator+ii+fixed&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=MtT&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11289187630616773981&sa=X&ei=mY3QTZSKM8y1twehxsD7DQ&ved=0CGsQ8wIwAg&biw=976&bih=674#

Two Tents
05-15-2011, 22:38
Bark River has some blades that are under 2ozs. They seem pretty easy to keep an edge on them with little accessories for sharpening.

10-K
05-15-2011, 22:48
2 single edge razor blades (only ever used 1 though...)

WingedMonkey
05-15-2011, 23:07
2 single edge razor blades (only ever used 1 though...)

What do you oz counters store blades in?
:cool:

LiftMeUp
05-15-2011, 23:13
I think you'll find that you never really need a knife.

Jonnycat
05-15-2011, 23:45

Cutting a blister and mending a tent are two reasons that come to the top of my mind. Also trimming a tree branch that was poking my tent (don't tell the LNT Witnesses about that one).

It's better to have a knife and not need one than to not have a knife and need one.

EastCoastFeastCoast
05-16-2011, 00:17
+ one on the Gerber Gator. It's not the lightest, but man, are they built well. The grip can't be beat, either! Mine is a folding version. I'm on my 2nd one in about 15 years.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/gerber+gator/GerberŪ+GatorŪ+Clip+Point+Lockback+with+Partially+ Serrated+Blade/G6079.html

brian039
05-16-2011, 00:26
Razor blade, all you need is something to cut summer sausage and cheese with.

garlic08
05-16-2011, 00:37
Along with a single edged razor blade, a needle and thread and tweezers (and duct tape, of course) are the only tools I ever bring with. They've all come in handy for gear repair and first aid. If you carry finicky gear like stoves and water filters and tents that might need more tools to repair, or plan on practicing woodcraft, a 'real' knife might come in handy.

You can buy a small plastic scraper/handle for about a dollar at a drug store or hardware store that stores a razor blade nicely.

Duff
05-16-2011, 02:18
Survival Resources Dura-Knife 0.2 oz.

buzzamania
05-16-2011, 03:15
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS53SS

cold steel spike neck knife. Razor sharp out of the box. Inconspicuous and a solid defense knife if you ever needed it. Took it on my last section. Piece of mind.

Spokes
05-16-2011, 08:35
Swiss Army Classic. Anything bigger is overkill.
http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/07/00/victorinox-swiss-army-classic-sd-knife-fall-2010_593046_100.jpg

moldy
05-16-2011, 10:18
I have a sharp blade with my nail clipper that does all the jobs that I have thusfar needed. You can't use it to fight off bears but from food cutting to whittling fire starter to cutting rope works very well.

Ender
05-16-2011, 10:24
I've been using a Leatherman Micra for years now. It's all I've ever really needed, and more. Plus, it has a beer bottle opener on it as well, which is a plus when taking a day off in town. :sun

Granted, it's not a fixed blade, but it's built that if used properly, the blade can't close all the way when in use, making it safer.

flemdawg1
05-16-2011, 10:26
Up to now I've carried a 5.4 oz Leatherman juice cs4 multitool. But as an ounce counter I looked to see if I could do the same job with something that weighs less.
Functions:
Cut masonry cord.
Cut cheese and summer sausage.
Cut moleskin and duct tape.
Open cans of tuna, chicken, or ham.
Occasionally adjust screw on trekking poles.
Hold hot boiling water cookpot.
Open occasional long neck bottle.

That led me to consider using 3 small, light tools instead of 1 heavy one.
So I've gone to a 1" folding pocket knife, a trim piece of silicone muffin/cupcake pan for a pot grabber and a P-38 can opener that can also open bottles and act as a flat tip screwdriver in a pinch.

flemdawg1
05-16-2011, 10:32
a trim piece of silicone muffin/cupcake pan for a pot grabber

I meant: a trimmed piece from a silicone mini-muffin pan.

I went from a 5.4oz single piece tool, that onestly didn't open cans well at all, to 3 small tools that have a combined weight of 1.3 oz. Saving 4.1oz, the same weight as a King Size Snickers bar.

10-K
05-16-2011, 10:32
You can buy a small plastic scraper/handle for about a dollar at a drug store or hardware store that stores a razor blade nicely.

I just wrap a piece of duct tape around the blade to cover the edge and ends and toss it in the bag with band aids and ibuprofen.

El Jefe
05-16-2011, 11:14
I use an ESEE Izula. Small fixed blade, I love it.

garlic08
05-16-2011, 12:31
I just wrap a piece of duct tape around the blade to cover the edge and ends and toss it in the bag with band aids and ibuprofen.

That's what I do with my spare blade(s). The plastic handle is nice for tougher jobs like shoe surgery, removing parts from the pack, etc.

The razor blade idea paid off once when I wanted to carry my pack on a plane. I met all the criteria except the razor blade. I threw it away at the airport and yogied a new one at my destination.

TAS
05-16-2011, 12:33
I've been using a Leatherman Micra for years now. It's all I've ever really needed, and more. Plus, it has a beer bottle opener on it as well, which is a plus when taking a day off in town. :sun

Granted, it's not a fixed blade, but it's built that if used properly, the blade can't close all the way when in use, making it safer.

They do about everything you could want?

John

NHMarty
05-16-2011, 12:49
How about an AG Russell Bird and Trout. It's super lightweight with high quality steel and a very safe and secure sheath.

Surplusman
05-16-2011, 13:08
If I was going to carry a separate knife, it would be a Swedish Mora knife with a stainless steel blade, plastic handle and plastic sheath. They're cheap and good. I have one that I use around the house and for gardening chores all the time. But when I hike I have to have my 20-year old Leatherman. Even a blade that sized is a little overkill in my opinion, but it goes along with the tool.

NHMarty
05-16-2011, 13:43
This is what I was refering to. 3" blade only 1.9 oz for about 50$http://www.agrussell.com/images/Biggest/AGBT-8A.jpg

Lord Helment
05-16-2011, 13:54
i carry a 4" fixed blade rayway knife....$25 for the kit and you make it yourself...really fun project and a one of a kind knife that weighs less than 2oz.....
http://www.rayjardine.com/

Reid
05-16-2011, 14:53
There's a ultralight knife on bpl that looks good for the taking too. Can't remember what it's called. You can definetly get by without a huge blade or even without one altogether but to me it's just something I'm use to having if I'm moving about in the woods. I kinda feel naked without one. I also use wood stoves so It comes in handy.

ShelterLeopard
05-16-2011, 15:00

What? How else will you cut your cheese? (Aside from the caveman style biting) I like having a knife- I used it often. Never for self defense, but for food, cutting string, repairs, etc...

Ender
05-16-2011, 15:05
They do about everything you could want?

John

Yeah, pretty much. The knife blade is sharp, and long enough for most hiking tasks. The scissors work well enough for the few times they're needed. The nail file works well to file down cracked nails. And like I said, the beer bottle opener is always appreciated when needed. :sun

It's sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of tool. But for hiking (and thru-hiking) that's pretty much all you'll ever need. And at under 2 ounces, that's a pretty good kit.

tiptoe
05-16-2011, 15:06
I have the same knife Spokes has. Oddly, it's the scissors I use most (to cut moleskin for the occasional blister). I'd feel under-equipped without a knife, even though I rarely need one.

Uncle Walkie
05-16-2011, 15:59
I carry a Leatherman Style CS, weighs 1.45 oz. Has scissors,tweezers, a light blade, and a carabiner/bottle opener. It's great, cost me 19.99

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_CS

Reid
05-16-2011, 16:31
And there's also wire saw's that are pretty handy.

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Proforce-Equipment-71010-Commando-Wire-Saw/9204/Cat/50

Smooth & Wasabi
05-16-2011, 17:07
Gotta love the old knife debate. Even going long distance 99% of the time the victornox classic has it because of the scissors for cutting toe and finger nails. I am one of those people who just likes to have a knife though and I own several. On my last multi-month trip I carried an old CRKT 4" fixed blade neck knife which is cool and relatively light for a fixed blade but really only did the same chores my spoon and my wifes classic did. Many folks have given great examples of lightweight full feature sheath knives, I would really like to try out the Moras I keep hearing great things about. That being said, lately I only take the classic if Ill be out long enough to grow my nails and for shorter trips an old but small and light gerber folder. Really it just sits with my emergency fire steel and tiny first aide kit. Never gets used but nice to have if you need ithem.

garlic08
05-16-2011, 18:06
What? How else will you cut your cheese? (Aside from the caveman style biting) I like having a knife- I used it often. Never for self defense, but for food, cutting string, repairs, etc...

I use the edge of my spoon for cutting cheese. I just started carrying a metal spoon because I broke too many polycarbonate spoons in peanut butter jars and on hard blocks of cheese.

Once someone asked how I would cut an apple. I was just puzzled--why would I need to cut an apple?

Hooch
05-16-2011, 18:26
Swiss Army Classic. Anything bigger is overkill.
http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/07/00/victorinox-swiss-army-classic-sd-knife-fall-2010_593046_100.jpg

Gotta agree. I've carried a couple different fixed blade knives in the past for "peace of mind", etc and never used them to do anything more than slice cheese and cut cord. I carry the Swiss Army Classic as well now and it's got all I need without being overkill.

Spokes
05-16-2011, 18:31
....... I just started carrying a metal spoon because I broke too many polycarbonate spoons in peanut butter jars and on hard blocks of cheese.

Once someone asked how I would cut an apple. I was just puzzled--why would I need to cut an apple?

Amen to that garlic08. I started carrying a titanium spoon just to be able to get to all the goodie inside a hard frozen pint of Ben & Jerry's!

Oh, cutting an apple with a knife is what you do when you get old and sit at the end of a fishin' dock while talking to your grandson isn't it?

StubbleJumper
05-16-2011, 20:40
+1 for the Victorionox Swiss Army Classic. Amazingly sharp with scissors and tweezers. Good Knife for a long walk.

I have also carried an Opinel which is also sharp and light, but less versatile.

flemdawg1
05-17-2011, 12:02
I'm considering getting this one 3in knife for 0.8oz.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00470B89Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Spokes
05-17-2011, 13:53
I'm considering getting this one 3in knife for 0.8oz.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00470B89Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

If you carry that I'd expect you to serve Fondue every night in the shelter.

Just kidding. Go for whatever you want to tote.