PDA

View Full Version : Cost to hike from Vermont to BSP?..

Edvvard
05-15-2011, 23:33
Is the general cost of the trail around 1$ per mile? I'll hopefully be doing this with my fiance. We originally planned a thru-hike for 2012/2013, but that isn't going to happen unless our plans for moving away change... Anyway, we still want to hike some of the trail, but we need to be on a budget.

I looked and I think it's around 592 miles... So we'll budget around 45 days as far as that goes, but the money part is what I clearly have no concept of. I have never gone on more than an overnighter :(

Jersey Tim
05-15-2011, 23:48
The more commonly quoted figure is $2/mile, but it fluctuates, depending on what you spend on non-resupply items like replacement gear and rooms/meals in town. If you take a bunch of prep hikes and are really secure with your gear selection, that saves you the cost of discovering something is uncomfortable and needing to buy a new one. After three or four nights of eating freezer-bag meals and sleeping in a tent, the lure of "real" food and a bed are going to be strong; resist, and you'll save money there too, but it's easier said now than done.

Edvvard
05-15-2011, 23:54
I can understand that. Here in Ohio we have nothing like what I would encounter on the trail up north, but where I live the trail is around 27 miles... all up and down decent sized hills consistently, so I'm somewhat adjusted to dealing with that. My gear seems to be great as of now, but again, that's for this area as well. I'm counting on now needing to replace shoes, but I have no idea... Are mail drops somewhat easy to get here? I consistently have a very large stockpile of food available to me from family members, but It'd be a pain to pack it all. I figured I could have a fair bit of it sent to me if possible. I have no idea how to set up drops, though :( I'm figuring that's something for another topic.

10-K
05-16-2011, 07:22
Is the general cost of the trail around 1$ per mile? I'll hopefully be doing this with my fiance. We originally planned a thru-hike for 2012/2013, but that isn't going to happen unless our plans for moving away change... Anyway, we still want to hike some of the trail, but we need to be on a budget.

I looked and I think it's around 592 miles... So we'll budget around 45 days as far as that goes, but the money part is what I clearly have no concept of. I have never gone on more than an overnighter :(

Well... have a look at the towns you'll go through on your journey. Also take into account any supplies you might mail yourself.

And, you can subtract 100 miles because when you get to the 100 mile wilderness there's no place to spend money except White House Landing. If you stop there you will definitely spend money and probably more than you imagine. I spent the night, had a few miles and bought a few odds and ends and spent $100 before I knew it.

flemdawg1
05-17-2011, 12:46
Don't they say from the Whites is half the effort and half the money? Maybe closer to $2000.

Blissful
05-17-2011, 12:52
More expensive in NE. I'd budget at least $1000 per person.

Jeff
05-17-2011, 14:14
More expensive in NE. I'd budget at least $1000 per person.

I think Blissful is right on the mark....and she hiked the section you are inquiring about twice in the last few years.