PDA

View Full Version : Planning to be a Trail Angel

rhapsody98
05-16-2011, 07:10
This Saturday, on a lark I drove up to Low Gap, TN with some goodies I was hoping to distribute to hungry hikers. I ran into some very nice people who apparently do that every Saturday from a church in Shady Valley. Since we only had one hiker come by (I guess everyone else was at Trail Days), I was hoping to go back out again. Since I'm a teacher, and school ends next week, I'll have plenty of time, but the Trail Angels told me that after Trail Days the number of people through this area drops off. How many people pass by this area after Trail Days? When do the SOBO hikers usually make it down?

What are the chances I will actually be able to hand out things?

hailstones
05-16-2011, 07:22
Please don't feed the hikers, once fed they flock by the hundreds around parking areas and shelters, next thing you know they will be stealing hanging bear bags! We have already seen the affects it has had on the bear population along the AT! Will we ever learn......lol

Lemni Skate
05-16-2011, 07:58
I'd say 90% of the thru hikers are thru Damascus right now and the waves are making their way through Virginia. I know that this time of year there's a good number of them dashing through Shenandoah National Park.

Lemni Skate
05-16-2011, 08:00
I'm not sure my analysis in the previous post was correct. Ignore me. I'm ignorant.

skooch
05-16-2011, 08:05
I have a late start. Please all trail angels, don't forget the straglers. We plan well but would welcome your kindness. :)

Bare Bear
05-17-2011, 16:02
So drive a little north first.