PDA

View Full Version : Hiking SOBO from Bears Den to SNP

KnotHere
05-16-2011, 10:47
I am planning a hike from Bears Den (snickers gap) south to the SNP where the trail crosses over Skyline Dr. this memorial Day weekend. I would like to get any updated info on the shelters along the way. There are 2 of us and we prefer to tent near the shelters. We are looking at evenings at :
Rod Hollow (9.9mi), Manassas Gap (12.9mi), Tom Floyd (13.6mi), then ending at the Skyline drive crossing (mile marker unknown).

1) Any updates on these shelters as they relate to tenting?
2) Being our third hike on the AT, moderate physical shape, do this distances should fair. NOTE - I am also just recovering from a sprained ankle and will be wearing a sports brace.
3) How long will be be in the "roller coaster"

I have read this forum for over a year and this is my first post. Thank you all SO much.

ShelterLeopard
05-16-2011, 11:47
This is a beautiful hike- I think you'll love it. The rollercoaster was definitely not the scary boogeyman it was cracked up to be, but that was after hiking from Georgia. If you're in shape, it'll be fine. But I would be really careful with your ankle.

You could probably find the most up-to-date shelter changes on the ATC website.

I think the rollercoaster is just over 13 miles.

KnotHere
05-16-2011, 12:04
Thanks for the post. I'll take a look at the ATC for that info.
We have done a NOBO trip from Bears Den to Harpers Ferry. What a GREAT trip for noobs like us. The roller coaster was manageable on that part.

Blissful
05-16-2011, 12:56
Tenting at all the shelters - I tented just off the AT before heading into Manassas Gap shelter. Some have tent pad areas. Distances should be ok, just be sure your ankle is ready for this. You should be able to hike without pain or it isn't yet ready and you'll do more harm than good. Esp with increase joint swelling and no way to relieve it with ice.
Rollercoaster ends at Rod Hollow, supposedly, but there is still some stuff to climb and go down. :)
Nice to see you going SOBO :)