PDA

View Full Version : Siler Bald Spring is DRY

JaxHiker
05-16-2011, 13:11
Just received this notice via Twitter from @Section_Hiker. Anyone have an alternate water source in the area? Is there actually water at Winding Stair or is it just listed because of its proximity to Franklin?

cowpoke
05-16-2011, 14:41
piped spring at Winding Stair....south side of road.

daddytwosticks
05-16-2011, 15:34
Wow...I've seen this spring puking water even in droughts. Pretty weird considering the normally wet spring we've had in this area. :)

JaxHiker
05-16-2011, 17:06
Thx cowpoke. I was surprised to hear it too, daddytwo.

bigben
05-17-2011, 17:26
Siler's Bald in the Smokies's spring was ALSO dry on 5/13. We tanked up at Derrick Knob and got more at Double Springs, so it's not a big deal as long as you knew about it.

JaxHiker
05-18-2011, 21:55
Ugh. Sorry guys. I just double checked the report and it was Silers in the Smokies, not Siler in NC. :(

Ron Haven
05-18-2011, 22:47
Just received this notice via Twitter from @Section_Hiker. Anyone have an alternate water source in the area? Is there actually water at Winding Stair or is it just listed because of its proximity to Franklin?Speaking of Winding Stair, yes they are a pipe spring in the parking lot that I have never seen dry and also the are also water 200ft in on the north side of the rd too. This is the same water supply that runs thru the campsite about a mile in....

daddytwosticks
05-19-2011, 07:29
+1 on the spring at Winding Stair Gap by the parking area. Even during the dreaded '08 southern drought, water was flowing big time. :)

JaxHiker
05-19-2011, 10:04
Speaking of Winding Stair, yes they are a pipe spring in the parking lot that I have never seen dry and also the are also water 200ft in on the north side of the rd too. This is the same water supply that runs thru the campsite about a mile in....

Thanks, Ron.

Are we set on the shuttle from NOC to Deep Gap on the 30th?

Plain Pete
07-02-2011, 08:48
Just came out at Fontana yesterday and Siler's in the SMNP had a good flow of water. Mollies on the other hand just had a trickle.

deeddawg
08-29-2011, 11:21
just since I was there a couple days ago, I thought I'd chime in. Spring is flowing at Siler Bald shelter. Not a torrent, but reasonable given the dry conditions overall.

dansforest
10-19-2017, 22:59
just since I was there a couple days ago, I thought I'd chime in. Spring is flowing at Siler Bald shelter. Not a torrent, but reasonable given the dry conditions overall.

Just checking to see if anyone has been to the shelter recently? If the spring was flowing? This is NOT the smokies siler bald.