PDA

View Full Version : Left camera at Hog Camp Gap - AT lost and found?

Catfish009
05-16-2011, 14:43
We ended our 5 day trek at hog camp gap (VA) parking lot and I seemed to have left my camera in the parking lot. I'm absolutely devastated, I would do anything to get those pictures back! Is there a certain place to post about missing or lost gear?

Blissful
05-16-2011, 15:13
You aren't that far away living in Harrisonburg, can you drive back?

Catfish009
05-16-2011, 15:34
Unfortunately I had to move back to Maryland to start my summer job today, so I'm 4 hours away from the parking lot. Tempting to drive all the way back.. but I feel like someone would have picked it up by now. It is a Panasonic Lumix camera in a green pelican case. All I care about is getting the memory card back!

Deer Hunter
05-16-2011, 19:16
I believe your camera is gone. I went over after work and looked around and didn't see it. Sorry.

peasantgirl
05-16-2011, 23:25
I know the info signs at the trail heads in Roanoke have a place to post notices for lost and found stuff, and at least one of them has a L&F box right there. Any chance this trailhead has something like that? Maybe you could look/post on Craigslist for it?

Trailweaver
05-17-2011, 00:52
You can place an ad in the AT Journal too. And possibly a local paper? I don't know the area.

For future reference there is a website called "ifoundyouritem.com" that makes labels that permanently attach to things you might misplace. It's worth the investment to label those things in hopes that they are returned. Hope you get it back.

Rain Man
05-17-2011, 10:15
I'm absolutely devastated, I would do anything to get those pictures back!

Too late this time, but obviously mark your gear and especially cameras and cell phones. With cell phones, most people realize to look "inside" the data to find how to contact the owner. With cameras, not so much. However, an easy thing to do is to take a photo of your contact information. Anyone looking at the photos will see it.

I'd advise doing it twice, once on the memory card and once in the internal memory of the camera itself.

Sorry to hear of your loss and here's hoping it's only temporary. The trail is a great place and I'm hoping a trail person found it. I lost several weeks worth of my daughter's thru-hike photos, due to an insidious computer virus. I had failed to back up timely. So, I understand your pain.

Rain Man