PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear Mariposa Pack

GolfHiker
01-27-2005, 23:40
Does anyone have any experience with the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Pack. It looks good, and I'm trying to get some feedback from possible owners. Thanks for your comments.

tlbj6142
01-28-2005, 00:23
There is a review on www.backpackinglight.com and, I believe, 2-3 write-ups on www.backpackgeartest.org.

Happy
01-28-2005, 02:00
If it anywere near the G-4 it is an awesome pack!!!

tlbj6142
01-28-2005, 09:55
I forgot to mention that. The G4 has been around for a while. The Mariposa is just the next evolution. There are plenty of G4 reviews around.

On a section hike last year, I ran into 2 AT thru-hikers using them (G4).

Scorpion
01-28-2005, 22:54
GolfHiker
I used a G4 for my thru hike last year. Was very happy with it. The next time I thru I'll use the Mariposa. The G4 was great the majority of the time. For those times when I carried large quantities of food the G4 could have used a bit more suspension than the 3/4 Z-rest. The Mariposa should remedy that situation.

Scorpion GA-ME 04

DavidR
02-04-2005, 11:53
I just ordered a Mariposa...Glen is a great guy to deal with and more then willing to answer any questions. He will also refund your money if you don't like it for any reason.
I'm really looking forward to this pack and will give a review after I have a few trips under my belt.

Barry
02-23-2005, 07:14
I just got mine, so far on short hikes with twenty five pounds it's fine.
Fit's like a glove, dosen't sway.
I have a quarter length thin sit pad in the pocket.
I can reach my water bottle on the right side easily and return it.
Each time I go out I learn more about it and so far it's all good.
I am aware that it cannot be abused but the wieight (15 oz) of it is worth it to me.
Hope this is helpfull.

MileMonster
02-23-2005, 08:27
Looks nice. Tell me about the stays. Do they transfer the load well? I'd like to hear some comments from anyone who has used this and the ULA P2. I need to replace my P2. I was going to get another because I really love that pack, but if I could shave another 20-24 oz...

WhiteMtns
02-23-2005, 09:06
MileMonster:

Sorry...haven't used the Mariposa...but I was wondering why you had to replace your ole P-2. Some catastrophic damage? The Dyneema Gridstop of the P-2 must seem bombproof compared to the nylon of the Mariposa.

just curious as I study what's out there.

Barry
02-23-2005, 09:12
The stays seem to be doing thier job as the weight sits evenly on my back.
I don't know how it will be after a day up the Whites but have the impression that the pack is all it's supposed to be.
My old pack was a Karrimor Cougar (4 LBS) that I had as much as 45LBS in.
The Mariposa with 25LBS (my target weight for a week) well, I forget it's there, but these are short hikes not a day up and down the Whites.

MileMonster
02-23-2005, 09:39
The P2 is a wonderful pack and has proven very durable. The current one I have was used during my thru-hike and for about a year proir to it. That's about 2500 miles, or so. Tough miles in all weather, at that. After the thru I pulled the padding, framsheet/stay out of it to wash the pack and to send it to ULA to have new padding/framsheet installed. However, I noticed that the nylon was tearing under the back padding, right at the contact point between the framsheet and the nylon. Make sense? There was a linear tear forming vertically, from behind the hipbelt travelling up the pack, on the right and left edges of the nylon "sleeve" in which the framesheet sits. No problems with seams, this is a friction point between the framesheet and the nylon sleeve. This is in the non-Dyneema part of the pack. Maybe this section of the pack is Dyneema now.

I never noticed this while hiking and it did not effect performance. I consider this typical wear and tear considering the mileage on the pack. I was going to send the pack back to have Brian replace the foam and framesheet. The tears are small and there is still alot of life left in the pack. However, washing didn't get the stink out of the pack and, thus, it's hard for a "clean" person to carry. LOL! With the tears and stink I've just decide to retire it and buy a new pack. I would've just put the old framesheet back in and used it some more but I had already thrown away the freamsheet when I noticed the tears.

GolfHiker
04-05-2005, 22:46
It's been awhile, but since I started this post asking about the Mariposa, I should fess up & tell you all that I bought the ULA P1 for my lightweight hikes. It works very well, fits great, carries the 28-30 pd. load just fine, has plenty of exterior pocket space & just suited me very well... Mostly I was not comfortable with the straps, hip belt on the Mariposa, and the P1 solved that concern. Anyway, thanks to all for good comments. :D

MedicineMan
04-06-2005, 02:12
if not we should, Peski has contributed much to the hiking world, granted his circle is mainly around the PCT but there is a tremendous crossover of technique and knowledge between the two trails. Agreed Glen is great to work with, when I snapped a carbon pole he replaced it instantly. I used the GVP-4 for almost 2 years without complaint...the Mariposa is too fragile for my hiking style (falls that is) but for many it is an incredible use of modern material.

2XL
04-06-2005, 08:04
It's been awhile, but since I started this post asking about the Mariposa, I should fess up & tell you all that I bought the ULA P1 for my lightweight hikes. It works very well, fits great, carries the 28-30 pd. load just fine, has plenty of exterior pocket space & just suited me very well... Mostly I was not comfortable with the straps, hip belt on the Mariposa, and the P1 solved that concern. Anyway, thanks to all for good comments. :D

How long did it take to get your P1 after ordering? I ordered one a couple weeks ago.
I see that they have taken the Fusion pack off their website Maybe they were getting over run with orders after the Backpacker review.

2XL
04-06-2005, 08:06
http://www.gossamergear.com/

whiteagle
04-06-2005, 16:49
Could someone please post a pic of the CF stays in the mariposa? I made a semi-custom G4. Glen said he'd sell me just the mariposa stays, but I'm trying to figure out how to incorperate them into my design.

Thanks,
Daniel