PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy vs Big Agnes

Jagglax
05-16-2011, 18:39
Alright, i know there is a big discussion on hammocks vs light tents. i currently have a MHW 2 person tent and the eno one-link system. I have spent several nights in the hammock and i like it a lot, but it weighs just under 6lbs with steaks and an added ridgeline. When i individually pack the eno in its seperate bags it takes 20 min to set up. If i leave it in a tangled mess i can do it in 6min. It is just a pain and incredibly heavy. I want to get a solo shelter for my upcoming section hike of the southern end of the AT. For around the same price I was considering the Hennessy Hammock Explorer Ultralight or the Big agnes Seedhouse SL1. Besides the obvious hammock vs tent i would like some feedback on peoples opinions. Thanks

Hooch
05-16-2011, 19:10
Before the WB hammock haters get started on this, I'll chime in. IMO, you can't put a price tag or weight on comfort. Go with the hammock. However, be advised: the stock Hennessy tarp is pretty small, so I'd spend a few extra bucks and get a nice MacCat Deluxe tarp from Outdoor Equipment Supplier to go with it.

BadAndy
05-16-2011, 21:49
I just took my new Hennesy out for a 2 night trial and I loved it! I bought directly from Hennesy which gave me a free upgrade to a much larger tarp (highly recommend) as well as free snakeskins (make set-up and tear-down simple and fast!). The downside is that, with the stock suspension, it is a little heavier than my tent but I can see myself fixing that down the road with some upgrades.

jbsbestfan
05-17-2011, 13:02
I have had my BA seedhouse 2 on two section hikes. I love it and can not imagine being more satisfied with another tent. You can cut a slight bit of weight by leaving a few stakes. If you get the Seedhouse, I would get the seedhouse 2 because the weight difference is minimal and worth the difference to keep your stuff inside, IMO of course.

Fog Horn
05-17-2011, 14:27
If you get titanium stakes (you can pick them up for about a dollar each at Dick's sporting goods) then the weight of the stakes is negligible.

I have the HH and even though I'm still learning what to do with it, with the stock suspension and the snake skins ( I have a WB Mambajamba tarp also in snake skins) it takes me just under four minutes to set up. Once I get the hang of it (pardon the pun) it will take much, much less time.

To be honest what drew me to the hammock option first was the fact that I can set up and take down the entire camp without taking down my tarp, so i have a better chance of keeping everything a little bit dryer. You won't be able to do that in a tent.

mikec
05-17-2011, 14:55
I have used a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 on a few section hikes totaling about 300 miles and I like the fact that it is light, fairly easy to set up and always kept me dry. What I didn't like about it was the door at the narrow end. It is tough for a big guy to get into. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten the Big Agnes Copper Spur as it has the door on the long side.

Jagglax
05-21-2011, 16:59
Thanks for all your input. Yesterday i ordered the HH explorer UL with the hex tarp. It cost a lot but i think it will be worth the coverage. Just 3 questions

Does anybody have an opinion on leaving the tarp on the hammock suspension as opposed to tying the tarp directly to the tree.

If yes, is there any light and simple tarp suspension techniques.

Last should i use the stock suspension or upgrade to whoopie slings for the hammock.