PDA

View Full Version : Blue Fishing out of NY from the AT

checker
05-16-2011, 21:15
I'm looking for information on getting to Party Boats out of NY from the trail. I've heard there is a train that leaves from somewhere near the AT and goes to NYC. So, what I'm looking for is a mass-transit route to docks where fishing boats go out of. Preferably, night time blue fishing.

I've been thinking about doing this 'field trip' from the trail for a while now, and as I am getting further north, the idea of taking a day off to go beat up on some bluefish is seeming more and more like something that I really want to do, and other hikers might be interested in this sort of thing too. So, I'm hoping to get some help out of a knowlegable New Yorker on planning a transit route to the fishing boats. And maybe others will be able to use the info too, if they stumble across this thread.

Thanks in advance for any help in this fishing trip planning.

Tight Lines,
CHecker:eek:

P.S. Any information on how to get to the Smithsonian Institute from Harper's Ferry would also be greatly appreciated.

Dogwood
05-16-2011, 23:07
Only on WB. LOL I love it.

Let us know how that turns out.

emerald
05-16-2011, 23:13
A train to NYC can be boarded near Pawling. Another runs from Harpers Ferry to DC.

Information on both may be found on ATC's website or by using the search feature here.

Feral Bill
05-16-2011, 23:22
There are, I believe, boats out of Brooklyn. Subway ride from Grand Central.

Dogwood
05-16-2011, 23:51
From GCS, if you are willing to travel/possibly make some transfers you can eventually get nearly anywhere in NY where you might "hook up" with a bluefishing party boat.

At the seasonal AT station near Pawling you could get on the Harlem line and get to GCS or get on the Harlem line at Pawling and go to GCS. This soundlike the shoirtest and most near the AT option for getting into NYC/GCS.

Could also get on the Hudson line at Peekskill and take it into GCS.

You might also take a bus from somewhere in northern NJ to a part boat in NY/NJ.

I wasn't being sarcastic. Please let us know what you turned up.

Kiyu
05-17-2011, 00:14
Not a New Yorker & I haven't been there in 45 years but blue fish movement north got me interested and I drifted to this...from the net.

Bear Mt. Bridge at Ft. Montgomery
http://www.coachusa.com/
to NYC several times a day....14 bucks

I read somewhere the trains & buses use the same central terminal but the knowledgeable will have to correct if this is wrong.
"By public transportation, the best way to get here is to take the #6 train north to Pelham Bay Park, which is the last stop. Transfer to City Bus BX 29 towards City Island." (2002)

to:http://www.zerve.com/Riptide/Night

Kiyu

checker
05-17-2011, 06:59
hey all,
Thanks for the help here. Night time bluefishing is a great trip and I'm hoping that other hikers will find the thread and find it useful. I'm just in Waynesboro, Va now, so I'll be checking back over the next few hundred miles to see what kind of guidence comes of this discussion.

Thanks over and over again.
See you down the trail.
Checker

Ender
05-17-2011, 07:41
Another public transpo option is the NJ Transit line from either Harriman or Tuxedo, right before you enter Harriman State Park. It's a 2 mile walk or hitch from the trail to get to the station, and brings you into Penn Station after a transfer at Secaucus Junction. And if you want to avoid the roadwalk, there's an access trail that goes right to the train station.

No idea about the fishing though.